Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to make cone shaped sponges?!

Hi
    I'm making a birthday cake and I need to put trees on it. I figure the easiest way to do this is by making cone shapes with sponge. The problem is I have no idea how to get this shape. I would appreciate any ideas, or any other suggestions! Thanks

Hi,

I will buy the trees people use to make miniature town and forest for adult train set .They have it in Hobbycraft. It's easier.

Something similar to these ones: I Checked on eBay for miniature trees for dolls house or train set. I put the link here but I am not allowed to do it yet.

But the sponge tree will be find in toys in painting section or children shops in the bath section. As it's often use for playing in bath or painting using the shapes. I use them a lot with young children as I am a nanny.

Jackie
    Last edited by Jackiefleur; 06-05-2014, 11:57 PM.
    Simple and Easy Ideas to Make Things for Children

Comment

You could use Madeleine tins or cream horn tins if you wanted to make edible ones...

Comment

I'd make edible tree decorations as decorating small cones of sponge cake will be very fiddly.

I recommend that you shape solid cones from sugarpaste and allow to dry for a day or so. Then colour some sugarpaste green and roll thinly and cut into lengths. Frill one edge using a cocktail stick. Either use edible glue, gum arabic and wate, or egg white and starting from the bottom, wrap and glue the frilled lengths into position to create trees. You'll find that the sugarpaste will dry out quickly so it's best to work on a couple of lengths at a time and roll them out as you go along.

Alternatively, for some sparkly trees, make cardboard cones from thin card. Then colour some white sugar (caster, granulated or preserving sugar depending on who large you need the crystals to be) with green food colouring and maybe a few drops of water until the sugar is evenly coloured. The sugar will be damp to the touch. Then pack it into the cardboard cones and leave to dry for a few days. Remove from the cones to use. You can colour sugar in two ways, either in a large bowl and stir with a spoon or in a jam jar and shake. It takes a long time to achieve an even colour.
        Carol
        Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
        Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

If you are set on sponge then I think you would need to locate moulds and even then I foresee lots of problems in the sponge shapes being able to hold up under the weight of decorations.

Depending on the size you need I might go the simplest route and use cake pops or lollies ...or maybe cover biscuity/waffley type cones in chocolate for tree trunks if you want cone shaped trees or the cigar/finger shaped chocolate wafers/biscuits and add leaves made from icing or use that edible fluffy stuff (apologies for the technical terms ) that comes in a variety of colours including green.

Good luck with this...hope you will share pics of the end result.

Comment

Originally posted by Christa View Post
            If you are set on sponge then I think you would need to locate moulds and even then I foresee lots of problems in the sponge shapes being able to hold up under the weight of decorations.

Depending on the size you need I might go the simplest route and use cake pops or lollies ...or maybe cover biscuity/waffley type cones in chocolate for tree trunks if you want cone shaped trees or the cigar/finger shaped chocolate wafers/biscuits and add leaves made from icing or use that edible fluffy stuff (apologies for the technical terms ) that comes in a variety of colours including green.

Good luck with this...hope you will share pics of the end result.
            All good ideas.

Perhaps if you made stiff cardboard cones that were lined with baking parchment you could fill about 3/4 full with cake mixture. The cones would have to be balanced upside down and I'd suggest using a washed up baked bean, soup, canned fruit tin for this purpose. It won't matter if they are slightly slanted though you would need to trim the base but you'd probably have to do that anyway.
            Carol
            Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube

Comment

Thank you for all the replies and ideas. I won't have that much time to make this cake in the days leading up to it, so after some thought I think the best thing to do will be just cutting out triangle shaped sponge and covering it with green icing/coconut. I'll post a pic when it's done : )

Comment

Originally posted by Girl5123 View Post
                Thank you for all the replies and ideas. I won't have that much time to make this cake in the days leading up to it, so after some thought I think the best thing to do will be just cutting out triangle shaped sponge and covering it with green icing/coconut. I'll post a pic when it's done : )
                Look forward to seeing it.
                Carol

Comment

Working...
                X