Tylos Powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tylos Powder

Could anyone give me any hints as to what I might be doing wrong please? I bought a large tub of Tylos powder with a mind to making some fondant cake toppers (butterflies, flowers, etc...) I know that you are meant to mix some powder into the ready-made fondant, make your creation and leave it to dry. However, my first batch were useless because they just kept flopping - they didn't harden at all. So I put more powder in and the fondant became un-workable and crumbly, and tasted disgusting. I want to make some toppers in advance but I don't want to waste another load of products. Any advice at all would be gratefully received! Thank you

Hi, when I made cake decorations I didnt use tylose powder but a different type of gumpaste so my advice may be meaningless. I thought Id try anyway... Well when I tried to make a cat cake decoration it kept flopping and Id covered it over with a tea towel so it ddnt get damaged. I tried it a few times, every time it flopped. Since reading online reviews on people who had the same problem, it was recommended fair bigger decorations to let them totally air with no cover. I tried this and it worked for me. As I said though, it wasnt exactly the same product so could be different :-)
    "Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools"- Napoleon Bonaparte
    www.fallfromgrace349.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks anyway, I do appreciate your reply. I watched them do these on Create and Craft and copied what I saw, but I didn't get the same result

Comment

Its difficult sometimes to get them bang on anyway. Hope your luck changes soon :-)
        "Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools"- Napoleon Bonaparte
        www.fallfromgrace349.wordpress.com

Comment

Tylos is a gum tragacanth substitute. I recommend that you use gum tragacanth instead. Just add a teaspoon of it into 250g sugarpaste. Gum tragacanth will also affect the taste, though. Decorations made with it are more for looking at rather than eating.

If you find the paste is too hard / dry / crumbly then add a little white vegetable fat such as Trex or White Flora, and egg white.

If your decorations flop over you need to wait for that part to dry before continuing. It may be necessary to support your decoration with pieces of sponge, or scrunched up foil until it has dried.

For detailed and intricate models use flower paste (see here for my recipe: http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthr...t=flower+paste). This paste dries quickly. However it dries rock hard and does not taste nice, though is fully edible.
          Last edited by the card shark; 28-01-2014, 06:26 AM.
          Carol
          Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
          Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

Thanks for your reply and flower paste recipe Carol. Believe it or not I had a cupboard clearout over Christmas, I found a jar of gum tragacanth and wondered what the heck it was, so threw it away! LOL!! Will try your recipe and feed back!

Comment

Originally posted by artisanne View Post
              Thanks for your reply and flower paste recipe Carol. Believe it or not I had a cupboard clearout over Christmas, I found a jar of gum tragacanth and wondered what the heck it was, so threw it away! LOL!! Will try your recipe and feed back!
              My recipe for flower paste does create a very hard paste that needs some 'working time'. I usually break off a small bit, place it in a plastic bag in the microwave and zap it on high for literally 2 or 3 seconds, no more than that. This initially softens the paste so I then add some more egg white and white fat. You can roll this paste out wafer thin or model it to any shape you require. This is what I use to make my wired sugar flower sprays:

If you don't have a heavy duty food mixer like a Kenwood then make the paste by hand, using more egg white than the recipe. This is what I did before I purchased a Kenwood food mixer.
              Carol
              Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
              Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
              X