Frozen Turkey Panic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen Turkey Panic!

Im in a panic and would really appreciate some advice! I am a vegetarian and know zero about cooking a turkey. But this year my dad is ill so he is not cooking...I am. My dad has just discovered that I bought a frozen turkey and he is not at all pleased I was supposed to buy a fresh one. My dad is 92 and very fierce!! I took the turkey out of the freezer several hours ago and he now says it will not defrost in time for tomorrow. Oh dear. How long does a turkey take to defrost? And to make matters worse I accidentally ripped off the bag...in a panic and then read that it's supposed to defrost in the bag.

Any help please.

Fiona
    "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

How big is the turkey? As a rough guide it will need about an hour per 1lb -at room temperature so if it is a 12lb bird it should be ready to cook at 4.00am ish

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Oh, thanks Jane.

The turkey weighs 3.80kg. I wonder does it matter that I ripped the bag off? I don't want to poison everyone!
      "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

Oh that's 8.38lbs so it will be defrosted in time. But still worried about the bag.

Comment

Personally i don't think removing the bag is that much of a problem. Stivk the bird on a plate and keep t covered so it doesn't get dry or dirty (not suggesting you are dirty but you know what I mean I hope!!!)
          View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Oh thanks Indri, I've been looking for something large enough to cover the turkey. Yes it could easily get dusty. Perhaps the bag is for keeping it clean anyway. My dad just informed me that my brother doesn't eat frozen turkey so not to tell him it's frozen! I'll be glad when dinner tomorrow is over!

Comment

Good luck with the dinner. Have you got plenty of foil? You could use a bit of that if you'll have enough for the roasting too.
              View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Oh I actually just wrapped some foil around it. I should add that dad hasn't been cooking christmas dinner up until he was 91, but he has always bought all the food, he still drives and my husband generally takes charge of the turkey and I do everything else but somehow I'm cooking it this year. Being vegetarian i'd rather a nut roast!! I'll only be eating the veggies anyway!

Comment

A turkey can sag and look a bit droopy if it thaws out of the bag - the bag helps keep it all in place, in addition to keeping anything off of it that shouldn't be on it, and it also contains the blood that can run out. But that's a small turkey so sagging shouldn't be a problem.

Don't forget to take the little pouch out of the cavity before roasting - the bag with the innard stuff all neatly packaged up ... blech ...

Just for future reference, always wrap the turkey in a couple of plastic garbage bags to keep the cold in - that sounds funny, but you don't want the outside warming up while the inside is still frozen.

Good luck!!!

Comment

I'd better put it on a bigger plate...dont think i've got a bigger plate come to think of it. Oh Im sure the outside will defrost before the inside as it's just sitting on a plate in our bedroom, our bedroom is the coolest room in the house. Surely it'll all be melted by tomorrow middday. Yes the yucky innards I must remember to take them out.

Would it be a good idea to tie it up with string now before it melts?

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post

Don't forget to take the little pouch out of the cavity before roasting - the bag with the innard stuff all neatly packaged up
                      Saute some onion and garlic in a pan. add the giblets (innards as Yanks call them) a bit of carrot and any other veg you have, 1/2 pint of water simmer for an hour - throw in a slug of brandy or port - you will have a great gravy base:-)

Jane
                      www.just-soaps.com
                      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                      FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
                        giblets (innards as Yanks call them)
                        Actually, over here we call them giblets...I just didn't think you all did.

I went home with my husband for Thanksgiving, before we got married...his mother left all those things in the gravy and I nearly lost it. My mother always removed them. So Fiona, I recommend removing them before serving the gravy! But maybe your dad always left them in and so it wouldn't bother anyone. I have always cooked them for flavoring the gravy, removed them, and given them to the dogs once or twice, but they won't ever eat them.

Are you cooking your turkey in a roasting bag, Fiona? Talk about falling apart! I have always done it that way, but it's never a bird you can put on a platter on the table. It's juicy, flavorful and extremely tender, though. we just slice it and serve it quickly before it cools or dries out. Also, using a roasting bag makes it cook faster and really thoroughly. You might try that next year if it is up to you again to do the turkey.

Comment

I haven't got a roasting bag, I wish i'd posted here before now. My mum used to use the (ugh) yucky giblets to make the gravy, but always removed them! I must ask dad if he used the giblets, I've been veggie for so long I don't have any memory of eating gravy. I might try Janes recipe myself tomorrow...if I can stand the sight of them. Thank you for that gravy recipe. I'm sure my dad brother and sons and hubby will love it!

Im sure my dog Molly will eat the giblets she isn't fussy at all!

Ive just discovered my son has eaten seven packets of crisps! Deary me don't know how he managed it without me noticing!!!

Thank you for your help I feel a bit more confident now.

Fiona

Comment

I would remove the foil as that will slow the defrosting. Put it in a clean plastic bag but pierce the bottom to let the water escape.
                            When it`s defrosted, wash it thoroughly inside and out and check for giblets inside. (Remove). If there are any ice crystals inside it isn`t defrosted yet.
                            Look on the BBC Cooking website for how to cook.

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
                              add the giblets (innards as Yanks call them)
                              We've always called them innards, I always thought it was a Suffolk term.

Originally posted by Eyebright View Post
                              My mum used to use the (ugh) yucky giblets to make the gravy, but always removed them! I must ask dad if he used the giblets
                              You're very good, I'm not even a veggie and can't stand the sight of the innards I wouldn't be able to bring myself to cook with them. Luckily we're over my mum's for Christmas dinner so nothing I have to worry about
                              Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Working...
                              X