candy canes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• candy canes?

My kitchen project today was to make candy canes. I even used a thermometer, but it was a big flop - never got firm enough to pick up and knead or stretch. I have a pie plate of thick but flowing vanilla, and one of thick but flowing red peppermint.

I guess they'll be good drizzled over ice cream - it's a very warm day.

Anyone have experience making candy canes? Have any suggestions as to why my mixture never firmed up??

Hi,

there could be few reasons, but from what you are describing, you might not have boiled the sugar for long enough (it's not just the temperature). Proper measuring is also important (if you put more water in, you need to boil it for longer).

Depending on recipe - but I usually boil the sugar with lid on for 3 min and then take the lid of and get it to reach the correct temperature.

If you really want to, put it back to the pot (clean) leave on low heat to disolve and then boil it again to the correct temperature.

Hope that helps.
    Passionate about all things handmade...

Proud owner of WowThankYou - stylish and affordable way of selling your crafts and makes

Friendly advice and coaching for small businesses

Cocoa & Heart Website

Comment

Originally posted by Cocoa & Heart View Post
      Hi,

there could be few reasons, but from what you are describing, you might not have boiled the sugar for long enough (it's not just the temperature).

I'll bet that's it! I didn't keep it at that temperature for very long - scared of getting it too hot.

Proper measuring is also important (if you put more water in, you need to boil it for longer).

Depending on recipe - but I usually boil the sugar with lid on for 3 min and then take the lid of and get it to reach the correct temperature.

If you really want to, put it back to the pot (clean) leave on low heat to disolve and then boil it again to the correct temperature.

Hope that helps.

I wondered about reheating it - I will give it a try momentarily! Thanks so much!!

Comment

Oh...heh...I burned the red portion. I know better than to get distracted, but the phone rang...gone only a second, maybe two. Came back to a pan of smoking mint sugar syrup.

Tomorrow is another day. Sigh. I am determined to get this right so my grandkids can twist the ropes into candy canes on Thursday, but if I don't get it right tomorrow, I'll think up a different project.

Comment

I too have tried to make candy canes and mine never set firm enough either. My hands can't cope with the heat of the melted sugar mixture to pull it (no matter how much oil I protect my hands with) and have found that if I wait until the temperature of the sugar is bearable it is then too hard to pull and it cracks.

Cosmic - make sure your grandkids don't burn themselves on the hot sugar!
          Carol
          Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
          Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

Thanks, I will! We may have the same problem, because I will wait until it's at least room temperature...so it may be too hard by then. maybe I should just make the usual cookies with them instead.

I can't pull the mixture either...a little arthritis in my hands. I had my son standing by to do it for me today. If I do go ahead on Thursday with this idea, I'll still get him to pull it for me.

I had a little trouble getting the burned sugar syrup out of the pan...still trying to soak the last blobs out. I cannot believe I did that!!

Comment

Hehehe, as someone with a few sugar burning mishaps my tip for you is to put a bit of water in the pan with the burnt sugar, then boil it on the stove for a couple minutes. Most of the burnt sugar will dissolve, and any remaining blobs are usually soft enough to just scrape right off once the water has cooled a bit.

If pulling/twisting into more traditional forms of candy cane isn't an option, you could try layering thin sheets of alternating vanilla/peppermint on top of each other, then when it's cool snapping the sheet into smaller pieces. Or if you can't get it to harden properly, just cut it with a knife and enjoy it a bit soft anyway!

Comment

Great idea! Thanks!

Comment

Hi how about trying it with coloured icing instead if the proper methods of making it won't work. Then your grandchildren would still get to make and eat them. hth

Comment

That's a thought - thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Working...
                    X