Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding chocolate to my stall at christmas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding chocolate to my stall at christmas.

Hi can anyone here help me?? I am wanting to remelt and shape chocolate into little shapes to add to some of my glass items for a christmas theme etc. Because I am working with food do I need to get some kind of certificate. Sorry to sound stupid but I don't do any foodstuff at all and don't know what it all entails. Basically can I just get the chocolate, melt it, shape it, bag it, and sell it. In a nutshell.
    www.scentedgifts4u.co.uk

I sell home fragrance, scented candles, aromatherapy soaps, small gifts and more.

Depends on the organiser. Any organiser worth their weight etc would ask that you have and display a hygiene certificate and the insurance to cover food stuff. Are you selling the chocolates separate? if not may be better to buy ready done from a reputable supplier as there can be so much trouble with food stuff. You would really need your kitchen at home checked, do you have pets etc. etc.

A few threads about the rules and regs already on her so may be worth browsing the food section or ring up your local trading standards

Comment

Awh thanks so much for that. I don't sell the chocolates as such. I add them in with a wine glass and gift wrap them like a small hamper. I usually add the already packed like ferr/roch or lindt chocolates, but just thought I would add the personal touch this year. Just wasn't sure if I still had to get my kitchen checked etc. Thanks very much for your help on this. Because I know there is such strick regs on this area, didn't want to go ahead without first checking. I will just give the family my new creations this year for christmas.
      www.scentedgifts4u.co.uk

I sell home fragrance, scented candles, aromatherapy soaps, small gifts and more.

Comment

You need to ring your local environmental health as each council area has it's own regs.
        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Thanks I think I might just give them a call anyway. Otherwise its choccie gifts for family this year.
          www.scentedgifts4u.co.uk

Comment

I agree, it should be clear what is required legally, not just the organizer's desires. Also, would there be different regulations in different locals? Over here, anyone who deals with food to sell has many hoops to jump through, even for dog treats, and must check with each county as to their regulations, in order to sell in that county - so here, it's both state and local laws/ordinances that must be met. I would imagine much the same over there - general health and safety country-wise, and then locally...then ask your organizer if they have any special requirements.

Comment

I actually meant to check with the organiser that the poster could add food to her stall, then went onto explain what the rules and regs were regarding selling food, some organisers will only allow what you have stated you are selling. I did not infer that the organiser would know the rules and regs only what they may require, having organised and event am fully aware of the t & c's that we set up and do understand the rules having got a hygiene certificate and prepared and sold food at said event. Does not and would not happen now as I have a dog.

Comment

One other thing to think of is the end result of the melted and shaped chocolate.

Unless you temper it it will not have that chocolate 'snap' and the soft chocolate may look dull and even get that white bloom. There are a few methods to avoid this, some difficult and some far easier.

Here is an explanation of what happens and the easy seed method link

And here is the busy mum's/teacher's microwave version:
                Put chopped-up chocolate into a microwaveable plastic or glass bowl and melt at 800–1000W, checking it every 15 seconds or so and taking A LOT of care it doesn't overheat. When the chocolate looks nearly melted but there are still a few bits globbing around on top, take it out of the microwave and stir the chocolate gently until smooth. It should have thickened slightly. It's really just the seed methid in a microwave and usually works for me.

If it doesn't snap and look glossy when cold simply re-melt and add new chocolate (just like the seeding method). That'll bring it back. I'd suggest you expect your first attempt or 2 to need a re-melt, which won't take long!

Good luck.
                Do not watch this space

Comment

Thanks for everyones replies. I think I might just go and buy some chocolates to put in the glasses. It is only going to be for Christmas anyways. Seems a lot of hassle just for a few choccies.
                  www.scentedgifts4u.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X