Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone set up as a home bakery in the UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for everyones advice on this! In the end I got advice from the local council and they couldn't have been more helpful. She came out and did my inspection today and we passed with flying colours. Animals were no problem as long as I could shut them out which I do, no need for any seperate working facilities. She mentioned a food hygiene course but said it wasnt mandatory, but I will still do it and get it online.

Can anyone advice on who to use for insurances?

Comment

Hi,
      Honestly, the best thing to do is to speak to your local Enviromental Health Dept at the council - they are really friendly and helpful.

I recently set up a home bakery - I called the EH dept who came to inspect my kitchen. (inspections vary from council to council) The only separate thing I had was a fridge which she seemed happy with, and my kitchen was cleaned to within an inch of its life! She left me a couple of recommendations and gave my kitchen a 5 star award. One recommendation was a level 2 food hygeine cert which i did online. I also have PI & PL insurance - for just in case.

I think thats everything I had to do. But honestly, it varies from county to county, so your first port of call must be the Enviromental people - they'll be able to tell you straight away about the pet situation.

If you're selling cakes to the general public you will need all of the above because I believe you can be fined a hefty amount if you trade without doing so. Personally, I don't think its worth the risk!

Hope this helps,
      Rachel x
      Create Jewellery School
      www.createjewellery.co.uk
      www.designitmakeitwearit.com

Comment

Originally posted by Baker&Maker View Post
        Thanks for everyones advice on this! In the end I got advice from the local council and they couldn't have been more helpful. She came out and did my inspection today and we passed with flying colours. Animals were no problem as long as I could shut them out which I do, no need for any seperate working facilities. She mentioned a food hygiene course but said it wasnt mandatory, but I will still do it and get it online.

Thank you for letting us know how it all turned out. and good luck with your business.
        With regards to insurance, I'm not a food producer, but I use direct line.
        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker&Maker View Post

Hiya,

If you go to the British Sugarcraft Guild's site and look under 'Services' and then 'Insurance' there is info on insurance for cake making/decorating businesses which are classed as part time (earning less than £7500 per year). You have to join the Guild to take advantage of the very low prices, but it's definitely much cheaper than going to the insurance company direct.

I'm just setting up a small craft school in Lincoln which, along with lots of other craft subjects, will include sugarcraft courses and day workshops (I used to earn my living making/decorating cakes some years ago) and I'm considering doing bespoke celebration cakes as well, if the premises I want to use come up to EHO standards. Generally, I've always found them very helpful, particularly if you actually ask them to come out and advise. The one I had before was very surprised and delighted to be invited to come rather than being treated like some sort of pariah dog!!

Good luck to everyone starting up - it's not as scary as it seems at first!

Ann
          Last edited by Handyann; 12-10-2012, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X