Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed with covering a 12 inch cake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homefromhomecrafts
    replied
    I have a piece of plastic pipe can cut it as long as you need, a lot cheaper than the proper ones and just as good

Leave a comment:

• Simply Topps
    replied
    Have you used an icing smoother ? Flat surfaced plastic , once on the board , polish with the smoother, usually blends and gets rid of any cracking , splitting . Hope this helps ? Also maybe invest in larger rolling pin

Leave a comment:

• Hitch
    replied
    Originally posted by Daesul View Post
    I don't make cakes professionally but used to do loads for friends etc. I always found that using icing sugar to roll out on caused the icing to get too dry, so I always rolled out on cornflour. Once the icing is on the cake,it brushes off very easily and is not absorbed into the icing.
    If you are covering a cake that has marzipan on you cannot roll out on cornflour as it will attack the marzipan, try rolling out on trex, lightly smear your rolling out board with it.
    Last edited by Hitch; 12-04-2012, 11:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SprinklesCrafting
    replied
    Originally posted by Rosamundi View Post
    DON'T LOOK is all I can say unless you want to be parted from your money .... Mine is already in the post! That will teach me to Goggle "the mat cake decorating" Funny thing is that it never occurred to me to do the 2 sheet thingy with sugar paste as I always roll my pastry between 2 sheets of cling film. Samantha have you tried rolling marzipan in the mat and if so was that successful?
    I've only used it with icing so far but can't see why marzipan would be any different, sure it will work just as well!

Leave a comment:

• fairycakes1972
    replied
    I'd say you are probably rolling the icing too thinly!! If you are going to be making more wedding cakes invest in a set of spacers and a decent rolling pin, they are both worth their weight in gold!!! Also as others have said, make sure your icing is really well kneaded before you roll it out. My college tutor taught us to knead the paste really well, then roll into a short fat sausage, if we could bend it in half without any hairline cracks, or stretch marks the paste was ready to roll, if not, keep kneading!!! I still do that now, never fails!

Leave a comment:

• lucyculpin
    replied
    Wow... just watched the video on the mat thing...... Agh I want one!

the woman makes it look so simple! Although, it did look a little fiddly when she was trying to peel the icing from it, but I guess it takes practice.

Would anyone who has one recommend it then? Rather than Teflon sheets like Melanie suggested? I know which one will be the cheaper lol

Leave a comment:

• silvermaid
    replied
    I have been reading about 'The Mat' and it seems the reason the icing sticks to the mat is due to the air between the mat and the icing being eliminated rather than it having any particular properties. Maybe you could you use one of those teflon baking sheets instead. They are fairly cheap compared to the mat and obviously food safe.

Melanie

Leave a comment:

• Rosamundi
    replied
    Originally posted by SprinklesCrafting View Post
    I always used to get the same problems with my icing even when like you I had the correct room temp and used hardly any icing sugar. When I went to the cake craft show at the NEC in November I was introduced to the mat a food safe product from America. There are many YouTube videos on the product and it has stopped my icing cracking and made it so much easier to cover cakes! You don't need to use any icing sugar and the icing clings to the mat so you can lift it in the air and place it directly over the cake which is a lot easier than a rolling pin!
    DON'T LOOK is all I can say unless you want to be parted from your money .... Mine is already in the post! That will teach me to Goggle "the mat cake decorating" Funny thing is that it never occurred to me to do the 2 sheet thingy with sugar paste as I always roll my pastry between 2 sheets of cling film. Samantha have you tried rolling marzipan in the mat and if so was that successful?

Leave a comment:

• lucyculpin
    replied
    Thanks for all the advice...!

Am particularly interested in the idea of this mat thing-a-magigy, Will you tube that bad boy when I get home from work!! Also, never occured to me to use cornflour, I do get frustrated with how much the icing sugar dries the icing out, I have another cake to make next week so I will deffinatly try that out.

Nipped in to Hobbycraft after work yesterday to check out bigger rolling pins, and wow they are expensive. I am sure I can find one online a lot cheaper.

Thank again lovelies

Leave a comment:

• Daesul
    replied
    I don't make cakes professionally but used to do loads for friends etc. I always found that using icing sugar to roll out on caused the icing to get too dry, so I always rolled out on cornflour. Once the icing is on the cake,it brushes off very easily and is not absorbed into the icing.

Leave a comment:

• Rosamundi
    replied
    Originally posted by Hitch View Post
    I live in Spain and could not buy a large rolling pin so I bought a piece of plastic pipe and washed it well and use that for large cakes, it works a treat.
    Might get away with getting a pipe - he thinks I live at the DIY shop anyway

Leave a comment:

• Hitch
    replied
    I live in Spain and could not buy a large rolling pin so I bought a piece of plastic pipe and washed it well and use that for large cakes, it works a treat.

Leave a comment:

• the card shark
    replied
    Making sure the icing is well kneaded too will help. I find breaking it into smallish balls and kneading those before bringing them together in one large ball is less taxing on my hands.

Leave a comment:

• SprinklesCrafting
    replied
    Hi,

I always used to get the same problems with my icing even when like you I had the correct room temp and used hardly any icing sugar. When I went to the cake craft show at the NEC in November I was introduced to the mat a food safe product from America. There are many YouTube videos on the product and it has stopped my icing cracking and made it so much easier to cover cakes! You don't need to use any icing sugar and the icing clings to the mat so you can lift it in the air and place it directly over the cake which is a lot easier than a rolling pin!

Hope this helps

Samantha

Leave a comment:

• Rosamundi
    replied
    I sometimes get this when I roll the sugarpaste a little uneven and the thinner bit I find cracks under it's own weight. I've just invested in a set of marzipan spacers to get a more even roll. As you said that your rolling pin is a little on the small size you too might be having an uneven roll out. I would love one of those large plastic pins but I have to make do with my Lakeland 15" no handle one until I can sneak one in without the OH rolling his eyes ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X