Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids craft - making edible houses - health and saftey question

Hello.

I'm just about to embark on my first food related craft with my kids group.

We are going to be making houses from biscuits - a bit xmassy I know, but hey, they are gonna love it - biscuits as bricks and icing as mortar - what more could a group of kids want?!!!

So Ive been researching into making the royal icing and ive seen its a big no no to give raw egg whites to kids- is this so? I've heard that wiltons meringue powder is the best substitute - is this also true?

Just wanting to double check with you wize peeps of the forum!

Leona xxxx
    We have been teaching Original Art & Craft Projects for a decade!
    http://www.artistsresource.co.uk

Currently Making a Youtube Review & Tutorial Series: Youtube
    | Instagram | Facebook| Twitter|

Originally posted by artistsresource View Post
    So Ive been researching into making the royal icing and ive seen its a big no no to give raw egg whites to kids- is this so?
    I would imagine so. I know pregnant woman shouldn't eat icing made with raw egg whites due to the small risk of salmonella (I think it's that bug) so guessing it'd be the same for kids as they also have a lower immune system than healthy adults.
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

You can buy royal icing sugar (Tate and Lyle make it) where you just add water to the desired consistency. That'll be a lot less hassle than using dried egg white.

I use it when I only need to make a small amount of royal icing up as it saves me making an entire batch.
      Carol
      Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
      Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

Thanks guys, thats just what I wanted to hear :0) I've bought a bit of the powder to substitute egg whites, so i'll get the tate n lyle royal icing sugar too and it'll make a great stiff mix. BRILLIANT. Thanks x
        We have been teaching Original Art & Craft Projects for a decade!
        http://www.artistsresource.co.uk

Currently Making a Youtube Review & Tutorial Series: Youtube
        | Instagram | Facebook| Twitter|

Comment

Working...
        X