Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copy right on cakes ?

Hi
    Just got a question about copy right on making cakes.
    If I see a picture of a cake in a magazine/book/internet and I copied it for a customer would this be against any copy right laws?

thanks
    sharon

All I know is that when I took a magazine picture into Asda to be printed onto a cake, they refused on the grounds of copywrite
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I think it would probably be in breach of copyright....someone somewhere has designed the cake in question and I'm sure they wouldn't be too happy if someone else was selling the same cake without asking....my personal opinion of course but I'd steer clear xx
      Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

Originally posted by shazeroo View Post
        Hi
        Just got a question about copy right on making cakes.
        If I see a picture of a cake in a magazine/book/internet and I copied it for a customer would this be against any copy right laws?

thanks
        sharon
        If it is in a book or magazine with instructions , hints or tips on how to make it then its fair game and you would be fine to replicate it....otherwise you would be safer to be inspired by what you see, and translate that into your own design interpretation rather than replicate what you saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Christa View Post
          If it is in a book or magazine with instructions , hints or tips on how to make it then its fair game and you would be fine to replicate it....otherwise you would be safer to be inspired by what you see, and translate that into your own design interpretation rather than replicate what you saw.

You are still not able to copy and sell any visual for profit , even if they are 'free' in a magazine. The design will have been submitted by freelance artists to the publications for them to use. There are still copyright laws attached to these. Do not copy!
          Tutor in PMC Silver Clay in the West Midlands
          Facebook:
          https://www.facebook.com/MetalClayTutor
          http://www.artclayjewellery.co.uk

Comment

That might be ok for personal use...but if she's selling it then it's a whole new kettle of fish.....same as all the card making mags who offer tutorials....am sure they wouldn't like their designs being sold as someone elses.....
            Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

Originally posted by julesie View Post
              You are still not able to copy and sell any visual for profit , even if they are 'free' in a magazine. The design will have been submitted by freelance artists to the publications for them to use. There are still copyright laws attached to these. Do not copy!
              oh I thought she meant the cake and not a picture of it. That is why I said if it comes with intructions....

I have often made cakes and things from recipes in books and magazines... and I've never seen any use restrictions...then again my cakes never look like the magazine cake anyway...even if I have followed the step by step instructions.
              Last edited by Christa; 04-02-2012, 08:08 PM.

Comment

oh I thought she meant the cake and not a picture of it. That is why I said if it comes with intructions....

I have often made cakes and things from recipes in books and magazines... and I've never seen any use restrictions...then again my cakes never look like the magazine cake anyway...even if I have followed the step by step instructions.
                There isn't a problem making a cake from a book or magazine if it's for your own personal use - that's what the instructions are for, but the copyright will stand if you intend to sell the cake to make a profit. Because the cake design is not yours to sell.

The same applies to knitting and sewing patterns. i.e. you could knit a cardigan following a pattern for your own person use, or to give as gifts, but you shouldn't sell the cardigan to make a profit.

If in doubt check with the publisher.
                Carol
                Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
                Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

Some designers are more picky than others! Mich Turner, is well known for not allowing cakes to be made from her designs and then sold for profit, there is a note in the front of her books about it, however, Debbie Brown is more than happy!

The normal etiquette is if you know who made the cake in question, is to contact them, and just ask permission to replicate the cake, and then give credit for the design if you post a picture on line somewhere! I've just done this on a cake I'm going to be doing this week that was originally done by an Australian designer.
                  My Website :http://www.angelcakesessex.co.uk
                  Become a Fan on: Facebook

Comment

Working...
                  X