Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hand painted biscuits - how much?

Hi
    I usually make cakes and cupcakes but I have had an order for some handpainted shortbread biscuits on lolly sticks and individually wrapped in cellophane.
    they will be about 3 1/2 inch square with disney characters hand painted on a fondant icing.

how much per biscuit should I charge

many thanks
    sharon

I would start off by working out how much your ingredients/packaging will cost,, then add any fuel costs, then multiply by 3, work out how long they will take to make at £30 per hour and that should be your starting point? (ish)

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
      I would start off by working out how much your ingredients/packaging will cost,, then add any fuel costs, then multiply by 3, work out how long they will take to make at £30 per hour and that should be your starting point? (ish)

Jane
      Hi Jane, do you mean, that you suggest to charge £30 per hr for your time ? Or I am missing something ?
      Passionate about all things handmade...

Proud owner of WowThankYou - stylish and affordable way of selling your crafts and makes

Friendly advice and coaching for small businesses

Cocoa & Heart Website

Comment

Originally posted by Cocoa & Heart View Post
        Hi Jane, do you mean, that you suggest to charge £30 per hr for your time ? Or I am missing something ?
        Thats what I thought. I wouldnt dream of paying myself that much. Im only on £6.56 an hour in my propper job.
        Ive worked out its going to cost me around 45p each for ingredients/ packaging.

Comment

I think around £20 an hour would be more suitable.
          Tutor in PMC Silver Clay in the West Midlands
          Facebook:
          https://www.facebook.com/MetalClayTutor
          http://www.artclayjewellery.co.uk

Comment

how much per biscuit should I charge[/QUOTE]

For that, I would be willing to pay (for one or two), say around £1.90 a piece. Is that too little? But I am a penny counter....sadly.

Comment

For that, I would be willing to pay (for one or two), say around £1.90 a piece. Is that too little? But I am a penny counter....sadly.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking around the £1.80 mark. I charge £1.50 for my cupcakes so with the extra time it takes to hand paint the biscuits I thought that was about right.
              It isnt something Ive seen at any craft fairs or anything so just wanted a second opinion.

many thanks
              sharon

Comment

How thick are they? The square is pretty big. That's what I was thinking about when I considered what I might be willing to pay...and also that they're hand painted. If they're pretty thick, you might want to go a tad higher, IMO!

Comment

Originally posted by shazeroo View Post
                  Thats what I thought. I wouldnt dream of paying myself that much. Im only on £6.56 an hour in my propper job.
                  Ive worked out its going to cost me around 45p each for ingredients/ packaging.
                  £30 per hour is for the labour calculation, not for how much one would be paid.

When taking a car to be serviced the labour charge of say £60 per hour is not how much the mechanic gets paid, but how much it costs to pay the mechanic.

To pay you £6.56 per hour will cost your employer considerably more than that

Don't under sell yourself or your lovely biscuits

Jane
                  www.just-soaps.com
                  Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                  FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                  Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

>Ive worked out its going to cost me around 45p each for ingredients/ packaging.

This is a good starting place, shaz...someone told me a long time ago to multiply the basic ingredients/materials cost(and that would include your packaging) by 3.5 and that would give you a fairly good starting point for coming up with a price. Some people have replied before that that makes no sense, and that's fine, but it does seem to give one a good starting point for a price. That little formula comes out to 1.575 - not too far off from what you and I guestimated....a little under! So... then consider if it sounds too low or too high for what someone would probably be likely to pay, and for what you would want to get for such an item. The "pops" sound like one of those really unique items that people would pay a pretty good price for, as a special little gift for someone!

How long does it take you to paint one? If you paid yourself £6.56 and hour and it took half an hour to paint one, that would be £3.28 plus the 45p - that would be £3.73 if my math is correct (gotta watch me, even with a calculator I can go wrong!)....does that sound like a better price to you? That does not include gas, electricity, time spent shopping for the ingredients, and on and on. At some point, you're going to have a £20 biscuit pop! You must consider pricing from many angles. It basically comes down to you being able to actually sell them and get a bit of return on them! No sales - no income.

Honestly, I think £3.73 sounds like an awful lot when I change it to dollars....I don't think I would pay that much, but as I said, I haven't got tons of pennies in my pocket.

With Valentine's Day coming up, though, people just might pay something like that for their honey! =D

Comment

Thanks for the replies
                      Ive decided to charge her £1.95 per biscuit.
                      I think its a fair price and I would be willing to pay that.
                      Its just a hobby so I dont need to make a living from it. I would rather people be happy with my products and my prices that to earn a vast amount of money.

thanks again

Sharon

Comment

Hi,I agree with you Shaon,I have been hand painting for years,and let me tell you people realy do not care how much time it takes.I think your price is ok.
                        moni

www.folksy.com/shops/krazykrafts4u
                        http://krazykraftscardskeepsakes.blogspot.com/
                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Krazy-...41816422497756"

Comment

Please, please, please don't charge less than £4 a cookie!!!!!!!!!!!!

My basic wedding cookies bagged and ribboned are £3, and that's without any extra detailing!!! I know it sounds a lot, but people are paying for a handmade piece of art, allbeit an edible one, and they take ages to make, let alone the baggin and tieing!!!!
                          My Website :http://www.angelcakesessex.co.uk
                          Become a Fan on: Facebook

Comment

Working...
                          X