Food Safe Glue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Safe Glue

Ok, so this might seem a bit odd but when I spoke to the Public Health Lady at the Council about setting up my small craft business and we got chatting about the type of craft I make, she said that when attaching a wrapped after dinner mint to material I would need to use a glue thats safe for food, in case it penetrated the foil. Where would I find such a thing? is there such a thing? Would be grateful for any ideas.........

many thanks

Claire

You could try asking in a cake decorating shop. I have some'glue for cake decorations but am not sure it would be strong enough to attach mints. Glucose syrup ight work. Or royal icing?
    Helen
    http://www.handbagsbyhelen.co.uk
    http://www.facebook.com/HandmadeHandbags
    http://www.folksy.com/shops/HandbagsbyHelen

Comment

I'm just wondering if glue dots or foam pads would be acceptable As they are both solid I can't see how they would be able to penetrate anywhere.
      Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

What sort of material were you thinking of attaching the after dinner mint to?

I must admit that I've sold quite a few Christmas cards with chocolate money coins attached using a glue dot. I had no idea that the glue could actually penetrate the foil. 99% of the cards went to my friends and nobody has died (or become ill) from eating the coins. You've got me thinking about this now!

I've just looked up this from the Glue Dots website:
        "Are GLUE DOTS
        safe to use?

Yes. GLUE DOTS™ are non-toxic, odourless, FDA-approved for direct or
        indirect food contact. Unlike hot glue guns, there's no risk of incurring
        serious burns."

PHEW!
        Carol
        Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
        Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by the card shark View Post
          GLUE DOTS™ are non-toxic, odourless, FDA-approved for direct or
          indirect food contact.
          Yay I think we've just solved Claire's problem....and also confirmed that Carol hasn't poisoned anyone
          Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

As long as it's non-toxic it should be fine!
            My Website :http://www.angelcakesessex.co.uk
            Become a Fan on: Facebook

Comment

I suppose she might have been thinking that a liquid glue could get through the folded creases of the foil to the mint rather than through the actual foil itself possibly. That was the only way I could see that it would reach the mint.
              View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Food Safe Glue

Thanks for the replies, I shall have a look at sticky dots. What brand are they? I am really looking for a liquid glue as I have to glue round the rim of the after dinner mint and attach it to felt, otherwise the mint would fall out the bottom. I have made hundreds of these too and never killed anyone either, well not to my knowledge I cannot see the glue could penetrate the foil but thought as the Council had mentioned it I would see if there was a food glue about. My goodness what a palava!

Claire x

Comment

Originally posted by clutterbuck View Post
                  Thanks for the replies, I shall have a look at sticky dots. What brand are they? I am really looking for a liquid glue as I have to glue round the rim of the after dinner mint and attach it to felt, otherwise the mint would fall out the bottom. I have made hundreds of these too and never killed anyone either, well not to my knowledge I cannot see the glue could penetrate the foil but thought as the Council had mentioned it I would see if there was a food glue about. My goodness what a palava!

Claire x
                  The brand of the dots is Glue Dots
                  Carol
                  Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
                  Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

Dear Claire

I know that the Decopatch glue and varnish is classified as "food-safe" on their marketing literature. You could try this. It is like a PVA glue and dries clear. Typically the glue is used to fix paper to papier mache.

Regards Jenny
                    COUNTRY LOVE CRAFTS - 01235 861700
                    Ceramic Supplies, Craft Blanks, Acrylic Paints, Decopatch and Much More! Global shipping. Speedy Deliveries.
                    Facebook * Twitter * Website * E-mail *

Comment

Thank you very much for that, will have a look at that. been away for a few days so apologise for my late response. It sounds the right sort of thing I need. I attach the felt to the rim of the after dinner mints which are foil covered. Can't see glue penetrating the foil but hey ho.

Comment

Working...
                      X