Are cupcakes a bit old hat now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are cupcakes a bit old hat now?

I was thinking of encouraging my mum to sell her gorgeous cupcakes at a craft fair but having been to a few fairs recently and the cupcake ladies not seeming to do very well at £1.00 each maybe its not such a good idea. Maybe we will just have to keep eating my mum's cakes and getting larger and larger! I didn't think a pound for a beautifully decorated cupcake was much money at all so I just wondered if people are just fed up with cupcakes and are looking for the next big thing like those cake pops - I think they are a cross between a lollipop and a cupcake?
    Angela Devine

Judging by the fairs I've been to where people have been selling cakes, they are certainly not old hat yet. At my most recent fair, they were being sold for £1.40 each, where I saw probably close to a hundred sold per day.
    Stephen
    Website - Soy of the North
    Blog - If Soy Candles Could Talk
    Twitter - random thoughts
    Facebook - more random thoughts

Comment

I agree, cupcake stall is nearly at each craft fair I go to and they always sell out fairly quickly. I do not think £1 is too much to ask, considering that some well known bakers up in London charge up to £2.95 for one.

I do not think, they will go completely out of fashin - have you noticed, how 'woopee pies' did not really taken off ? As for cake pops - they woudl fit well with children parties, but I am personally not keen on them.
      Passionate about all things handmade...

Proud owner of WowThankYou - stylish and affordable way of selling your crafts and makes

Friendly advice and coaching for small businesses

Cocoa & Heart Website

Comment

Never really got whoopee pies (or whatever they're called). Surely as soon as you bite into them the filling disappears out the other side - and all over your clothes!
        Helen
        http://www.handbagsbyhelen.co.uk
        http://www.facebook.com/HandmadeHandbags
        http://www.folksy.com/shops/HandbagsbyHelen

Comment

If you can get in at some fairs/markets real quick, that are not too expensive, make some that are very Christmassy looking and have some really nice little boxes for each...that has a bow on it already, or they can pick their color from your bag of bows - et voila - a quick and undeniably wonderful little Christmas prezzie for a co-worker or teacher - and raise your price to at £2.95 at least...it's funny but sometimes people are more likely to buy if the item is not TOO cheap....also, make some nice but fairly easy gift tags real fast for them to buy - everything right there, to make their lives easy! They go for that! My husband sells boxes for his guitars if the person is giving it as a gift - guitars are hard to wrap or easily find a box for....he has to order them online. So it's a little extra money, but your boxes should come with the apple - and a free bow (WOW) and hand made tags for sale...all these are good marketing approaches!

Something REALLY popular here is candied apples in all sorts of dips (caramel - YES!! chocolate - YES!!!) and piped icing decoartions on them, or coated in nuts, etc....is this a big deal over there? Prices run WAY high for an apple - I have seen $7.99 and up!!!!!! Depends on the decorations - and now they're going the way of gourmet chocolate bars - chocolate of varying percentages of cocoa, with hot chiles, or sea salt, or apparently whatever you can come up with!

Comment

At a xmas fair last week there was a queue of at least 3 people most of the time at the cupcake stall, they were selling them at £1.50 each. They did look lovely though with sugar coated hearts on some and pink and yellow flowers and silver sugar balls etc. They had a sign saying "Luxury Cupcakes" and called them names like 'strawberry dreams' and 'flower delight'.

Melanie

Comment

I'd be in that line! No time for this now but you could try sugared violets or...hmmm, I think pansies are edible....better check on that. A sugared flower or petal on top would be lovely! You can eat gladiolus flowers...and nasturtiums, but they're peppery.

Violets and pansies - yes...glads, just the petals and rinse pollen off...I would forget them if the pollen is a problem...

Just found this great site -

http://homecooking.about.com/library.../blflowers.htm
              Last edited by removed10; 05-12-2011, 08:04 PM.

Comment

In my home town (not particularly affluent), the main cupcake sellers sell for £1.70 a cake.
                Last edited by Miss Polly; 05-12-2011, 08:05 PM.
                Website
                Facebook

Blog

Comment

I need to be banned from these types of stalls... I swear when I went to the one at Haydock, I put on about a stone afterwards by eating all the goodies I'd bought.

I think cupcakes will always be in "fashion", because you can do so much with them... And because they're so deliciously yummy!
                  My facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/?sk=h_chr#!/...tiqueadlington

My website - http://www.bexiroo-crafts.co.uk

Comment

I don't think cupcakes are out of fashion. I made some cupcakes for my sister's riding club to sell at their fair in May. We only sold them for 70p each (large cakes) and 30p each (small cakes). The large ones with the buttercream icing and horse / flower decorations sold like hot cakes! (pardon the pun)

The smaller cakes weren't quite so popular and some were left over at the end. I was reimbursed for my ingredients and my sister raised some money for the riding club on the day. Here's a video slideshow of the cupcakes:

http://s381.photobucket.com/albums/o...=cupcakes2.mp4
                    Carol
                    Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
                    Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

They all look great - I am craving butter cream frosting now...did you make the horse head?

I LOVE the gingerbread pony. I have to try and make one for my grandkids for Christmas!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post
                        They all look great - I am craving butter cream frosting now...did you make the horse head?

I LOVE the gingerbread pony. I have to try and make one for my grandkids for Christmas!
                        Yes, I cut the horses heads out of flower paste and let it dry overnight, then added detail with royal icing and food colouring. The gingerbread ponies were a real pain to roll and cut out - but they made the most profit, they sold for £1 each yet only cost about 20p to make each one.
                        Carol
                        Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
                        Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

I've just bought some new spot the dog cupcake cases so cute.

Comment

And a gorgeous cake stand to put them on 3 tiered.

Comment

nooooo cupcakes are great theres so many things that you can use to decorate them no one can find them boring

Comment

Working...
                              X