Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• melting and reforming Chocolate

Hello fellow foodies.
    I've made some chocolate lollipops for my kids by melting chocolate and pouring them into shapes. After a few days they chocolate started to discolour. It tasted ok but didn't look very nice.
    Any suggestions?
    love Fi xx

Yes, eat it quicker! Chocolate doesn't last more than a couple of days in our house...

Seriously though, it's probably just the cocoa butter surfacing, it would still be OK to eat.
    Daesul

http://www.clairemanwani.com
    http://www.folksy.com/shops/clairemanwani
    http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ClaireManwaniPottery

Comment

Is there a way to stop that from happening??

Comment

I've just been reading an article about 'tempering' chocolate. Apparently once it has melted you have to beat the heck out of it until it goes shiney again to get the cocoa butter to go back into it.
        The kids didn't mind it being a bit discoloured so I think I'll just carry on doing what I am doing.

Comment

Oooohhhh, so that;s what the tempering thing is about...yes, a lot of trouble!

Comment

Princess Fi, you could always use Candy Melts....lots of colours available and best prices I have found are from hobbycraft. It doesn't seem to 'bloom' like choc does.

Oh....and I think tempering only really works with good quality chocolate, else it just goes thick and goopy..I might be wrong, but this is springing to mind for some reason.
            my folksy
            Kryshees Blog
            www.kryshees.com

Comment

Originally posted by sparklyshoes View Post
              Princess Fi, you could always use Candy Melts....lots of colours available and best prices I have found are from hobbycraft. It doesn't seem to 'bloom' like choc does.

Oh....and I think tempering only really works with good quality chocolate, else it just goes thick and goopy..I might be wrong, but this is springing to mind for some reason.
              If you are going to try and temper chocolate then you must use chocolate that contains 100% cocoa butter. Most cheaper brands substitute some of the cocoa butter with vegetable oil which means it can't be tempered.

Also, avoid putting the chocolate shapes in the fridge to harden. The damp atmosphere in there will cause the chocolate to bloom. Let the chocolate shapes harded in a cool DRY room.

But the bloom is harmless and doesn't affect the taste.
              Carol
              Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
              Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
              X