If I sell food at a fair . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I sell food at a fair . . .

Do I need a certificate or any kind of approval to do so? I tried finding info on some of the other posts, but i'm just too simple to see it!

It would only be simple stuff like cakes or cookies, but if you need to get a certificate to sell from a website, I assume it would be the same.

x
    Proprietor at www.molieredesign.com
    Bespoke wedding clothing creations

Twitter - @molieredesign
    Facebook - www.facebook.com/molieredesign

you need a food higiene certificate if you are selling as a business. You also need to have public liability insurance to cover food poisening etc. your local council will eba ble to tell you more.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

There seems to be an awful lot of people wanting to do this, and very little direction available.
      If the baking side of things is going to be ones business, then a Hygiene certificate is needed, even at a basic level...its showing 'due diligence'.
      Some form of insurance will also be required.

If, however, the plan is to sell a few bits at a few Craft Fairs several times a year but not a regular selling feature, then I think its up to ones own conscience as to whether one wants to go down that road and take the risk of ....a random visit from the Trading Standards or someone with a nut allergy or someone breaking a tooth on a date stone and wanting recompense ( don't laugh..it has happened)

As has been said often before, check with those running the events and ask the local Trading Standards, thats what they are there for and they are almost always very, very helpful especially where the labels are concerned.

Enid

Comment

At the end of the day if you "sell" or "supply" food to the public and something goes wrong - then you are liable.

Your local STO and EHO will be very helpful if you phone them.

hth

Jane
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Actually, long before you think about certificates and insurance, you need to talk to your local council about having your food prep area assessed. There are hygiene requirements you have to meet - for example wooden worktops are not usually acceptable, do you have enough sinks etc and so forth. Your local council will put you in touch with the appropriate people who are usually very friendly and helpful, and may suggest legitimate ways of overcoming any problems too.

Comment

The other thing that is an absolute no no is if you have pets. However clean you think your kitchen is, pet hairs, dirty paw prints from cats that jump on surfaces etc would mean you are unlikely to get approval from the EHO.

I cook and bake only for family as I have 3 cats. Would love to do something with food for craft fairs but not enough to get rid of them.

No pets, no problem.

__________________________________________________ _____________
            "..I went from adolescence to senility, trying to bypass maturity.." Tom Lehrer

Comment

Blimey! does that technically mean that cakes at car boot sales/school fairs etc shouldn't really be there unless produced 'officially'? I thought everyone made cakes/biscuits/jam etc for those types of events.
              Doing nothing is harder than it looks!
              Free Classifieds

Comment

I was at an event today, the EHO came round doing a spot check.
                2 stalls had to pack up and go as they didn't have the relevant paperwork or conform to standards.

Jane
                www.just-soaps.com
                Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

thank you so muth
                  Best by long nightgown shopping online

Comment

hmmm
                    I know the law is pretty strict on food businesses, but I hadn't thought about local fairs in this way
                    Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall always seems to be going to fairs with small producers happily enough, but maybe they have all the relevant approvals?

Comment

Just to say every fair I've done this year has asked to see my public liability insurance certificate.............and risk assessment form....... and no smoking sign....... and one wanted a fire extinguisher on display.......
                      AnnieAnna

Comment

I'm also thinking about baking for craft fairs. I've just spoken to my local EHO and he said i needed to register with them, but wouldn't need to retake the Food Health and Hygiene I did years ago as cake making is low risk. I asked him about insurance but he said that was a different matter. What kind of insurance would we need and is it expensive?

Thanks,

Fiona

Comment

Working...
                        X