Lemon Curd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lemon Curd

I have just found a recipe for lemon curd that I am going to try, yummy , but I was wondering if anyone knew how long it can be kept for?
    Any help will be great.
    Thanks
    Emma

When I've made lemon curd I always keep it in the fridge as it doesn't keep as well as jam would. I think in the fridge it manages to last up to a month, though I usually find it tastes so yummy it might not last that long. Make sure you get unwaxed lemons.
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Yes I'd keep it in the fridge for about a month or two.
      Have some on a slice of toast for me!!!
      MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

Hi
        For your own consumption - kept in the fridge it will keep for a bout four weeks - if you are selling it I would suggest talking to you r local EHO.

HTH

Jane
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Thanks to everyone. Obviously my first batch is a tester but I do hope to sell it if i like it, at a craft fair i am doing next month. What does EHO mean?

Comment

Hi
            Sorry
            EHO-Environmental Health Officer - they will need to check your kitchen etc. before you can sell produce to the public.
            You may need to speak to TS (Trading Standards) re weights and labelling.

HTH

Jane
            www.just-soaps.com
            Twitter JUSTSOAPS
            FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
            Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

EHO = Environmental Health Office(r) I'm assuming.
              View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Thanks I have just started a new thread now to find out more about the legalities of it all.
                Thanks for bringing that to my attention.......

Comment

Mmmm - I never have a jar for long enough to find out how long it will last!
                  ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                  website
                  blog

Comment

Shelf life/Fridge shelf life really depends on your recipe!

The "purest" recipes (Lemons, Eggs, Butter, Sugar) have little in them to enhance preservation - and the method of preparation means that your curd is not brought up to a suitable temperature, so I would suggest no more than 2 weeks once opened.. (who on earth keeps proper lemon curd that long!!! yummy!!)..

One thing I would say is that unpasteurised egg is considered dangerous.. so I wouldn't give lemon curd as a gift to the vulnerable, pregnant or very young!

Comment

Ours never lasts long enough either, but the last time I bought some from a market stall, the woman said 2 weeks...
                      "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
                      Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
                      http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X