Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• homemade fair trade cakes

Hi All

My Wife to be (getting married 20th dec) has started a business with her friend making homemade fairtrade cakes , all the ingredients are fair trade except the eggs, butter and flour which of course cannot be but are all organic.

Gone really well at craft fairs in NOV but would be interested in any tips or advice fellow chefs could give ?
    Cheers
    HDevents

Web - www.hardydaviesevents.co.uk
    now on Twitter - http://twitter.com/HDevents
    Blog - http://s8.invisionfree.com/HDeventsforum/

I can't give you any advice on the fairtrade, but well done for your wife and friend. I too am making homemade cakes and jams and have my first craft fair next weekend. Very nervous, it is a different thing to family and friends saying your cakes are good, but to sell soley cakes is quite exciting and nerve racking
    Em

Comment

Hi

Be careful using the words fairtrade - it costs loads of money to be fairtrade registered - a bit like organic food - you can use all organic ingredients but cannot call it organic unless registered with SA or similar - many have come a cropper with this.

best to use "fairly traded ingredients" and have proof/back up with you if challenged - something I do.

hth

Jane
      www.just-soaps.com
      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
      FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

What is it you're after advice on...?

Maybe you could say they were ethical/happy cakes using only fairtrade free range ingredients. Also you could look into recycled packaging if you're boxing them up

Best of luck with it, i'm a firm beliver in happy cakes, i wish fairtrade would spread further throughout the baking industry. I want to get my hands on fairtrade sugarpastes!!

Congates on the wedding too =)

xx
        http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...7916695&ref=ts
        http://twitter.com/_emsworth_

Comment

Originally posted by emsworth View Post
          What is it you're after advice on...?

Maybe you could say they were ethical/happy cakes using only fairtrade free range ingredients.

xx
          I second this .... also a lot of the terms bandied about are what the marketing people call buzz words if you give the people who supply the eggs etc a fair price for a fair trade would that not make it fairtrade? I barter my eggs for my honey and my bacon for the wood for my smoker and maybe a few rabbits lol... I wonder if that makes it fairtrade we can have fairtrade in the uk as well as other countries..
          congrats on the nuptials xx

"Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies."
          www.fairyalchemy.co.uk
          fairyalchemy.blogspot.com

Comment

I would also suggest you pick up on the threads about cupcakes and food hygiene which are the main subjects to read up on. R

Forgot to say I'm a baker and pastry chef so any questions about cakes, fire away!

Comment

Originally posted by FairyAlchemy View Post
              I second this .... if you give the people who supply the eggs etc a fair price for a fair trade would that not make it fairtrade? I barter my eggs for my honey and my bacon for the wood for my smoker and maybe a few rabbits lol... I wonder if that makes it fairtrade we can have fairtrade in the uk as well as other countries..
              congrats on the nuptials xx
              Errm "NO" is the simple answer.. "Fairtrade" is a brand not an idea. Cleverly marketed as an idea though..

You have to comply with the Fairtrade organisation's rules and requirements to use their logos motifs and trademarks - even if you buy your sugar at a better price than their certified goods.. you can be fairer than fairtrade and still not be allowed to market your products as fairtrade

Comment

Working...
              X