Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

holly wreaths

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • holly wreaths

    Hello
    Has anyone ever made thier own wreaths from fresh holly?
    I have learned I need to be very careful lol
    just wondered if anyone had any tips on the best way to make the wreath up
    thankyou
    Sarah

  • #2
    Not me, but I'd like to know aswell. We have a huge holly bush in the garden and I invite anyone to cut bits off for their own use. I'd love a real holly wreath hanging on the front door!

    Gail
    Gail x

    My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by onlyme View Post
      Not me, but I'd like to know aswell. We have a huge holly bush in the garden and I invite anyone to cut bits off for their own use. I'd love a real holly wreath hanging on the front door!

      Gail
      It will be really helpful if anyone has any tips, we also have holly in the garden, it looks wonderful at the moment, full of snow!
      Sarah

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi

        I made my own holly wreath one year. I used a plastic wreath similar to this

        thttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Oasis-Foam-Wreath-Ring-floral-tributes weddings_W0QQitemZ270279957899QQihZ017QQcategoryZ3 097QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

        that had oasis in it, soaked it in water and then I just cut bits of holly and stuck them until you couldn't see the oasis.

        I know its not very technical but looked ok.
        www.mycalicoheart.co.uk
        www.mycalicoheart.blogspot.com
        www.mycalicoheart.misi.co.uk
        www.mycalicoheart.folksy.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Thankyou for that, I know where to start now! I will start it in the morning..thats if I can find the holly under all the snow!
          Sarah

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by autumn rose View Post
            Thankyou for that, I know where to start now! I will start it in the morning..thats if I can find the holly under all the snow!
            WOW! How long do these real wreaths last then? Well one thing is for sure, it probably won't get pinched unless someone has got very thick gloves on! Will you show it to us when it's done please?

            Gail
            Last edited by onlyme; 28-10-2008, 10:47 PM.
            Gail x

            My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Found these instructions if they are any help

              http://www.lainesworld.co.uk/project...eath/index.htm

              looks like a lot of hard work to me - think I may just buy one....lol....although I too have a couple of holly bushes in my garden and it would be a shame to waste them.

              I like the idea of buying the oasis and just pushing them into it!

              Pauline
              Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by autumn rose View Post
                Hello
                Has anyone ever made thier own wreaths from fresh holly?
                I have learned I need to be very careful lol
                just wondered if anyone had any tips on the best way to make the wreath up
                thankyou
                Very carefully I would think. lol

                I usually make able centres with fir cones and holly and that is bad enough.
                Carol
                God helps them that help themselves.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by onlyme View Post
                  WOW! How long do these real wreaths last then? Well one thing is for sure, it probably won't get pinched unless someone has got very thick gloves on! Will you show it to us when it's done please?

                  Gail
                  I need to practice a few times before I need one for my front door...I will show you gail when I make one, if I can figure out how to put the pictures in here! Im not too techie im afraid, do you just upload them from comp?
                  Sarah

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by autumn rose View Post
                    I need to practice a few times before I need one for my front door...I will show you gail when I make one, if I can figure out how to put the pictures in here! Im not too techie im afraid, do you just upload them from comp?
                    I'm not sure as I've never done it myself being a noobie! I'm sure someone will help though - can't wait to see it!

                    Gail
                    Gail x

                    My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by autumn rose View Post
                      Hello
                      Has anyone ever made thier own wreaths from fresh holly?
                      I have learned I need to be very careful lol
                      just wondered if anyone had any tips on the best way to make the wreath up
                      thankyou
                      ive made 180 just waiting to decorate them

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sasha1167 View Post
                        ive made 180 just waiting to decorate them
                        I have a friend that used to do that and she would sell them through telephone orders from family and friends and by placing a little advert in a local paper.
                        I have made my own holly wreaths now for over 6 years as I have a holly tree and bush in my garden. It used to be just the one for the church but since 4 years ago I also made for my dad who died and since then the number has grown with more relatives passing away. I use the oasis type as it is much easier that the traditional wrapping of moss around the metal frame etc....
                        Something Shiny Something Sparkly
                        Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
                        My blog
                        Facebook

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          What a coincidence I was just talking to my oldest son about when I used to make holly wreaths with his dad !! The trick is to find the holly that isn't too prickly lol. We used to make the moss covered ring sort, and the only thing we ever paid out for was for the rings and the wire to twine round the holly, very cheap to make and pretty easy too. Used to sell them by the hundreds to shops back then.
                          http://manicmosaics.blogspot.co.uk/






                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thankyou all !
                            Sarah

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I make Christmas door wreaths and holly wreaths are the most painful! Make sure you wear gloves!

                              I buy metal frames and wrap them in moss to provide a base, then cut of sprigs of holly and poke into moss base securing with mossing twine, just use it straight off th reel wrapping it over the holly to secure before adding the next piece working round in a clockwise direction.

                              Outside these will last for at least 4/5 weeks.

                              Hope this is of some help, it's difficult to explain in text as opposed to demo.

                              Tracey

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X