Going rate for curtain making?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going rate for curtain making?

Does anyone know what the going rate for making up curtains is these days?
    I've been asked by two family members if I'll make some for them but they are willing to pay me "properly"! The last time I had anything to do with pricing up curtains I was in my teens (Saturday job in soft furnishings shop) and for basic curtains it used to cost £2.00 per width for unlined and £4.00 per width lined (if memory serves me correctly)!

Don't want to sell myself short!
    Natalie
    website blog

This has been a bugbear of mine sence I moved here and started making drapes for the owners of caravans.I finelly started charging £10 per window for altering ready made drapes.Mostly himming, and £25 per window for making simple drapes. I just finished reworking 6 pair of ready made drapes and taking another set of drapes and cutting up for pelments and I charged them £110. They were happy so guess I chargen the right price.
    Not sure that helps you but I tried lol
    Shabby Neesey

Comment

Are there any ads in local papers/shop windows? ring them( as a "customer" ) and ask for a quote! Then work out what you'd be happy with and give your relies a quoe based on that!
      Last edited by ilovecrafts; 09-03-2008, 01:43 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by ilovecrafts View Post
        Are there any ads in local papers/shop windows? ring them( as a "customer" ) and ask for a quote! Then work out what you'd be happy with and give your relies a quoe based on that!
        Der! I never thought of that! What a good idea! Will have a look in the local paper etc.

Thank you both for your advice!
        Natalie
        website blog

Comment

Hi there

I was a self-employed curtain & blind maker for 6yrs before giving it up last year so can possibly help with your query.

Prices vary according to whereabouts in the UK you are, for instance around London & the south-east you can charge more than say Lincolnshire/South Yorkshore where I was based.

Also are you doing it as a paying hobby or are you wanting to do it as a job? Prices will vary according to what type of curtain heading you do & whether you are interlining them, whether they are hand-made or machine-sewn.

If you can make roman blinds (hand-sewn with no visiblie stitch lines across the front of the fabric) these will earn you more per day than curtains.

Send me an email & I'll give you more info.

[email protected]

I'm starting country style crafts now purely as a hobby (fabric & wooden hearts, samplers etc) so if anyone out there is into the same things I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers

Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by sharon View Post
            Hi there

I was a self-employed curtain & blind maker for 6yrs before giving it up last year so can possibly help with your query.

Prices vary according to whereabouts in the UK you are, for instance around London & the south-east you can charge more than say Lincolnshire/South Yorkshore where I was based.

Also are you doing it as a paying hobby or are you wanting to do it as a job? Prices will vary according to what type of curtain heading you do & whether you are interlining them, whether they are hand-made or machine-sewn.

If you can make roman blinds (hand-sewn with no visiblie stitch lines across the front of the fabric) these will earn you more per day than curtains.

Send me an email & I'll give you more info.

[email protected]

I'm starting country style crafts now purely as a hobby (fabric & wooden hearts, samplers etc) so if anyone out there is into the same things I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers

Sharon
            ooo interesting!!! i am getting quite a few requests for curtains to be made up. I have settled on £10 an hour plus fabrics etc - and that seems to be great for here in stockholm.

My question is - can you (well me!) make your own roller blinds? is it possible to buy the end bits etc and then just add your own material??
            http://louisejhampshire.blogg.se

Comment

curtain pricing

You must do things differently in Stockholm as I've never heard of pricing by the hour for handmade curtains!

We seem to price by number of widths in each curtain here in the UK.

Some popular designs of curtains eg pinch pleat & goblet headings, where there's alot of handsewing can take up to 3 days to make, even longer if they're interlined. .

As for roller blinds - yes you can buy individual components & just supply the fabric as you can with roman blinds.

Roman blinds are the main money makers - they only take approx 1 - 11/2 days to make depending on size, extra detailing etc. They don't take much fabric & you can charge a decent price for them provided you handsew & don't see any machine stitching on the face of the fabric. I could make 4-5 blinds a week, but only 1 pair of double width full length hand sewn curtains with another pair being started on.

I'll put some more info in a pm

Cheers

Sharon

Comment

Ooo just what i've been looking for! I too make curtains and roman blinds for friends and friends of friends and am not sure what to charge...its very hit and miss with me...so Sharon I would love some advice as I never seem to make much profit! Look forward to hearing. xx

Comment

Hey, for what's it worth, in Ireland, its €40-€50 per width for french pleat lined but not interlined and presumably more for anything fancier.

Natacha

Comment

charges for curtain making

Hi everyone

If anyone wants to pm or email me with questions about curtains/blinds I'm happy to help

Cheers

Sharon

Comment

Hello

Hi Sharon

First time I have used this site and really hoping someone can offer some help and advice.

I am going to attempt to make some roman blinds for my kitchen. I have never made these before. I am handy with a sewing machine so I am hoping I am capable of doing this!!!

There seem to be so many ways of making these and I am not sure where to start. I have found a couple of the internet but these can be quite confusing. There seem to be different types where either you make the casings for the rods separate and then sew them on to the lining, or you make the casings within the lining (this does seem to be the more complicated option). As a beginner, which would you recommend I do. Do you know where I could find simple basic instructions?

Hoping you can help.

Lisa

Comment

Ye gods - I have been making curtains for friends and family for years and never charged a penny. Who's the mug now.
                        Carol
                        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Just a "spanner" in the works.. Our local fabric shop has a "making up" service, they charge "per metre"!! We got a quote for 2 sets of curtains - each curtain was a single fabric width, and 3m drop, unlined.. £100 in total.

As Sharon said, "location" and neighbourhood can drastically change what you get charged, but we are East Lancashire.. so probably at the lower end of the price range.

Comment

Originally posted by Roseberry Crafts View Post
                            Does anyone know what the going rate for making up curtains is these days?
                            I've been asked by two family members if I'll make some for them but they are willing to pay me "properly"! The last time I had anything to do with pricing up curtains I was in my teens (Saturday job in soft furnishings shop) and for basic curtains it used to cost £2.00 per width for unlined and £4.00 per width lined (if memory serves me correctly)!

Don't want to sell myself short!
                            Hi,My names sonia,new to the forum.But the good news is the going rate for lined pencil pleate is £22-00,pinch pleate,£28-00,so you are well under charging.

Comment

Professionally made curtains are hand made so quite a bit of labour goes into them.

I teach curtain making and soft furnishing and I have heard my learners say that they have had quotes for long curtains over patio doors (probably 4 widths) in the region of £1,200 to £1,500 (whether that includes the fabric I am not sure).

A professionally made curtain will last a long time so that is the way to justify the cost of your time!

Comment

Working...
                              X