Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folding drapes after making them

Hi,
    So glad to have a forum to ask questions. I searched the internet high and low, and there are no forums for makers of drapes in the US. Either they don't share their secrets or they're too busy to post!

I've just finished a shower curtain with sewn on rings for a customer. I have noticed and admired how professionals fold their drapes before bagging them up. I have tried...no problem at the top but with a 108" long drape, by the time I get to the bottom, the fabric is off. Does anyone have a trick for getting the folds nice and neat?

Thanks,
    Deb in US, Alabama

Hellloooo Alabama!! to the forum. I cant help you myself as I am a jewellery maker but I'm sure if you stick around somebody will be able to help.
    www.littlebead.blogspot.com
    www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

It usually helps to have two people to fold large pieces of fabric - one at each end. If you are trying to do it on your own I would suggest laying it out as flat as possible on a bed or the floor and using pegs to hold the sides together, re-positioning them as necessary.

Melanie

Comment

Melanie, by pegs do you mean clothespins? It's funny how some words are different between the US and UK.
        Thnx,
        deb

Comment

yep the things you hang washing out with.
          "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
          my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

folding curtains

Hi

Folding your curtains even very long ones is quite easy as long as you have a table & are patient - you can do it yourself too (I made them professionally & had to fold them for transport to arrive without creases) Follow these steps & you should be ok

1. Place curtain on table, with curtain fully opened out - the top & bottom ends will probably hang down over the edges of the table, as will the sides of the curtain possibly. The table should support the main body of the curtain.
            2. Take one long side & fold into the centre of the curtain - start in the middle of the side & work your way along the curtain to the top & then to the bottom until the fold is level all the way down.
            3. Repeat on the other side of the curtain.
            4. Repeat the process again down both sides
            5. You now have a long thin curtain folded twice to the middle down both sides. For wide curtains repeat the process until your curtain ends up approx 18" - 2ft wide
            6. Don't use pegs to hold the curtain in place - they will mark your fabric when you come to take them off. Use long strips of unwanted fabric to loosely tie round the curtain - in the middle, about 2ft from the top, & again about 2ft from the bottom. Use an extra tie for very long curtains so you have 2 ties in the middle part of the curtain.
            7. To transport them, take a clean bed sheet (single size should be fine) & slip it under the curtain to cover the table. Fold the sheet over the curtain from each side.
            8. The curtain should be fully encased in the sheet & you can then carry it to your car, van etc & lay as flat as possible. Best way is to lower the front passenger seat & drape the curtain package across this seat & onto the rear seats.
            9. If you have to fold the curtain over to fit it in your vehicle place a cushion inside the fold which will stop any creases from forming.
            10. If you are going to post the curtain to a customer - leave out the bedsheet & try to get hold of some clean thin plastic sheeting, fold the curtain to fit in a large flat box & put some thick tissue paper inside the folds to minimise creasing during transit.

Hope this helps

Sharon

Comment

Thank you, Sharon, for that very detailed response. I will try this on the drapes I'm currently working on.

Deb, USA

Comment

Working...
              X