Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for an over locker, is it worth it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an over locker, is it worth it??

Hi, I'm thinking of investing in an over locker as I own a Janome sewing machine but am progressing on my seeing and want a more professional finish. What do you think are they worth it and can you suggest where I begin looking. I have a small budget of only £200 maybe £300 as it's my birthday present. Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Sarah jane xxxxx
    Sarah
    xxxxxx
    Follow me on twitter @anitemeachday

If you are selling your items (especially clothes) I think it does give a professional finish. It's years since I did any serious making (I used to design and make wedding dresses) so it may be that newer sewing machines are more capable than they used to be, but having that clean, cut finish really takes your items up a notch...

I had a Pfaff...but you are probably looking at the top end of your budget for a basic 'hobby' model...

Good luck in your search

Jude x
    for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
    plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
    Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

Its certainly a good investment if you are making a lot of items, whether they be for personal use or to sell. If you are a really keen seamstress then its a great thing to have and really fun to use! I loved working on them :-)
      "Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools"- Napoleon Bonaparte
      www.fallfromgrace349.wordpress.com

Comment

Overlocking is a high-street RTW finish, not haute couture. People who aren't familiar with haute couture standards think that overlocking is the 'correct' way to finish seams.

I once made an unlined linen jacket with bound seams.

Someone looked at it, admired it, then asked what sort of seam finish it was. 'It's often called a Hong Kong finish' I replied.

The person recoiled in horror. 'Oh, I don't want any of that Chinese junk ...'

Little did she know ...

If you do a lot of knit/stretch/jersey sewing, you'll find an overlocker invaluable. Otherwise, it depends on the sort of things you make, and for what market (if any).

As for buying one, please get one from a reputable SM dealer, preferably where you are able to try out, and where you can have a lesson and phone up for help if needed. Think also about the feet and accessories you might want for it in the future. An overlocker can do all sorts of things, not merely o'locking seam edges.

Threading in many models requires contortions, sharp eyesight and a pair of long tweezers, and tension etc adjustments are not as generally intuitive as with a sewing machine, so a trial of different models is really advantageous.
        Last edited by eena; 25-02-2014, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X