any budget dressmaking scissors??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any budget dressmaking scissors??

i need a new dressmaking scissors. i was using a cheap one from ikea which was fine until i used it to cut a load of felt now its gone blunt at the top.
    anyway i feel its time to invest in a new scissors but as you'll all know a top of the range one will cost alot. so what id like to know is is it possible to get a cheapish scissors say from ebay or somewhere similar that's as good as the more expensive ones.
    also is it possible to get the scissors sharpened and if so what type of place would do it?

hope someone can advise many thanks x
    Last edited by taytotayto; 26-01-2013, 11:48 AM. Reason: suscribe to theead
    www.myeviemyrose.etsy.com http://www.facebook.com/myeviemyroseuk

Originally posted by taytotayto View Post
    i need a new dressmaking scissors. i was using a cheap one from ikea which was fine until i used it to cut a load of felt now its gone blunt at the top.
    anyway i feel its time to invest in a new scissors but as you'll all know a top of the range one will cost alot. so what id like to know is is it possible to get a cheapish scissors say from ebay or somewhere similar that's as good as the more expensive ones.
    also is it possible to get the scissors sharpened and if so what type of place would do it?

hope someone can advise many thanks x
    I bought a pair of Kleiber pinking shears from ebay for about £8-ish. I went for soft grip and glad I did. I can't comment on how long they'll last though as they are quite new and I don't use them a lot. Hope this helps,

Marion

Comment

I am very loyal to Fiskars orange handle range. Their dressmaking shears are around £18 (try Amazon). Sometimes it is best to buy the best you can afford.

They also make a sharpener to go with them which is very effective.

I have a pair which I have had for 25 years (can I be that old!) and only bought new ones because I can't lay my hands on the sharpener at the mo.

Just don't use them for anything other than fabric and they will last you years, and years, and years ....................
      Cathy
      I sew, therefore I am.
      I apologise in advance for any spelling or grramatical errors, I'm on tablets - no, no - I'm on a tablet.

Comment

My mum swears by the fiskars too, shes had her pair since before I was born!! I did have to buy her a new pair for christmas though as somehow my dad got hold of them and cut who knows what with them!!!!
        Handmade and Hand Customised Bags:

www.facebook.com/bucasbags
        www.folksy.com/shops/bucasbags

Comment

Working...
        X