Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Hats

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can offer me any advice. I'm sure that you've seen I've been spending a great deal of the summer making dresses, because I've been posting the results on here. I have another 2 dresses lined up to make, and then a waistcoat for my husband (well, I have to keep him as dapper as me with all these new dresses). Anyway, following that, and over the Autumn when I can't really motivate myself to make dresses, I fancy trying out something new... namely, hats. I'm all about hats at the moment and quite fancy making some of my own. I have a book that my husband bought me a few years back and that I've never really delved into which is called making vintage accessories, and has a few hat patterns in. I've also looked on the internet for some hat patterns, but they aren't really that prevalent. I wondered if anyone could offer any advice in the way of online resources, or useful books that may be worth my while before I embark on this (and bite of more than I can chew as usual).

Any help gratefully recieved.

Louise
    Princess Prudence
    Keep Calm and Carry on!
    I just love to sew and make things!

Read all about my life and times at my blog: http://princessprudencediaries.blogspot.com

Find me on twitter: @princesspru10

I gave up looking for help and went to a workshop.

1 day = 1 hat and 4 patterns that fit my head.

I think I also bought a basic pattern and modify that based on the workshop, but as I only have the pattern pieces I made myself I can't tell any more.

http://www.brimmingwithlove.com/patterns.html
    http://www.simplicitynewlook.com/ind...ge=page&id=126

Might be useful.

Once you have the basic shapes sorted it is really easy to modify them - honest. I am a sewing muppet and hats and waistcoats are my comfort sews.
    Do not watch this space

Comment

My hat making career went - hmmmmmm let's make this up, whoops that bit's a bit wrong, let's have another go, ooo that's better, let's put that pattern in an envelope and I might be able to use it again (which I did). Ever since I've been tweaking my original patterns to make new designs.
      There are loads of books on hat making and if you trawl the old fashioned secondhand book shops you are bound to find a 1920s/30s/40s dressmaking book that has a chapter on making hats.
      Have you trawled You Tube?
      Before being tempted to shell out a fortune on a hat block take a second look at your pudding basins and flower pots and have a little chat with your local wood turner.......
      Have fun.

Comment

Oh I forgot to say - if ever you want to make something specific and can't figure out how, nip down to the charity shops and find a dejected, rejected one and take it home and take it to pieces. All it's secrets will be revealed.

Comment

I would definitely second the idea of make do blocks and deconstructing charity shop hats.

But I would start with the simple patterns, like those I linked to as they give you a good idea about where to measure for a good fit etc. I started with Paddington hats and cloche hats and am now quite happy to try much more complex shapes purely because they gave me confidence that I knew where to modify and how to measure!

And now I shall remember youtube can be my friend
          Do not watch this space

Comment

Thanks you guys, that's all really helpful advice and certainly I will be doing all of the above. The suggestion of pudding basins just made me laugh though as it brough back memories of the haircuts I had as a child... ah. lol.

Looking forward now to doing some of those, even if it is still a while off.
            Princess Prudence
            Keep Calm and Carry on!
            I just love to sew and make things!

Read all about my life and times at my blog: http://princessprudencediaries.blogspot.com

Find me on twitter: @princesspru10

Comment

Remember to come back and ask if you get stuck.

I doubt I'll be able to help anyone with anything other than hats and waistcoats
              Do not watch this space

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessPrudence View Post
                Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can offer me any advice. I'm sure that you've seen I've been spending a great deal of the summer making dresses, because I've been posting the results on here. I have another 2 dresses lined up to make, and then a waistcoat for my husband (well, I have to keep him as dapper as me with all these new dresses). Anyway, following that, and over the Autumn when I can't really motivate myself to make dresses, I fancy trying out something new... namely, hats. I'm all about hats at the moment and quite fancy making some of my own. I have a book that my husband bought me a few years back and that I've never really delved into which is called making vintage accessories, and has a few hat patterns in. I've also looked on the internet for some hat patterns, but they aren't really that prevalent. I wondered if anyone could offer any advice in the way of online resources, or useful books that may be worth my while before I embark on this (and bite of more than I can chew as usual).

Any help gratefully recieved.

Louise
                Hey, I visited your site! I love your dress

Comment

Sorry, I have no more idea, but hat making is an art that seems to have stopped being passed on through the generations. You can find the information being shared on the Internet.
                  the fashion store online: http://www.clothing.net/

Comment

This site has quite a lot of different hats that could easily be adapted.
                    https://www.youcanmakethis.com/index...siteterms=hats

Melanie

Comment

"hat making is an art that seems to have stopped being passed on through the generations."

No it isn't.........there are hat making courses in the fashion departments of universities/ex art colleges. There are hat makers all over the country happy to take on unpaid apprentices/interns/hired in help. There are wanabee retired hat makers only too willing to pass on their wisdom. It's finding them that's the problem.......but it's not exactly hard if you go to the appropriate fairs, shows, high streets.....and talk to them.

Comment

I need to make a winter hat, left it a bit late to get cracking so I can wear it for my Christamas Day walk.

Comment

Hi.
                          you can just decorate hats you bought from somebody else.
                          i saw your cross stitch works album.
                          Nice works!
                          www.beadhouse.co.uk

http://www.etsy.com/people/Beadhouseuk

Comment

well i must say that you are a creative one i was njoying reading your conversatons but seriously had no ideas but best ov luck for u

Comment

Working...
                            X