Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using curtain fabric with machine embroidery for clothing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using curtain fabric with machine embroidery for clothing?

Hiya everyone - looking for advice on a new project, if anyone is able to help.

I just purchased an absolute bargain off eBay - 6 metres of this gorgeous high quality gingham cotton material for £15! (the seller originally bought it at £39 a meter to make curtains but it was slightly too short for her needs). Anyway, I couldn't resist such a bargain so bought it hoping I could make a few kids dresses out of it. It's quite a heavy material but very soft so I think it will be ok.

My problem is that it has machine embroidered roses on it which are very pretty but the reverse of the fabric looks quite messy (I've included a photo for you to see). I want to be able to sell these dresses so don't really want to be paying out for a lining material, especially as the material is quite thick anyway. Could I get away with trimming around the embroidery on the back or could the embroidery start to fall apart especially after repeated washing, or maybe use patches of fusible interfacing to cover them?

I've never used this sort of textile fabric before to make clothing. Once the dresses are made, could I advertise them as machine-washable or would they need to be dry-cleaned/hand-washed?

Think I may have bitten off more than I can chew here! Any advice gratefully welcomed.

Cheers

Nic

DSCF7285.jpgDSCF7286.jpg

Have you tried trimming one close to the edge and giving it a good yank to see what happens. It might even come out without damaging the fabric. If it leaves a hole but not broken any threads a quick wash should restore it good as new.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Thanks Critchley but I'd like to leave the embroidery on the fabric as it is really pretty. Just concerned about making the inside of the fabric looking neat and tidy.

Nic

Comment

how about making as lining for the dress. That way the inside and outside will look pristine.
        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

hello friend i am susan and i am new user for forum access.pls help me

Comment

Thanks - I've come to the conclusion that I will need to line the dress if I want it to look neat. I was just hoping there was another secret magic way around it! lol

Comment

Believe me it is a fantastic idea. Tell me how do think like that, brilliant. Looking forward to get more ideas about clothing embroidery.

Comment

Would something like fray stop do the job?
                Lining your dresses would be a real phaff but so would covering the backs of each flower with a weeny bit of bondy stuff.
                Is the problem the embroidery threads aren't finished off properly? Blob of glue to mimick a knot?

Comment

I was thinking fray stop, or bondy stuff.... I suppose you'd have to play with a sample to see what worked best.

Pick at it before washing then see what the washing machine does to it.

Have fun, I hope it comes out looking good, that material looks too good to waste.
                  Do not watch this space

Comment

I've just decorated something with twisted silk thread. I was worried it would unknot itself and unravel. I've just dabbed some hi tac glue on the ends and it's worked a treat. It's sloppy enough to soak into the fabric but dries bendy but thinly solid and invisible. In theory it's washable but I wouldn't trust anything I hadn't tested first.

Comment

If you look at babygro's that have been embroidered they have a fuse-able backing which not only prevents the thread coming into contact with baby's skin but also hides the back of the embroidery.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                      X