Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please somebody help me! My sewing machine has gone a bit mental . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please somebody help me! My sewing machine has gone a bit mental . . .

Hey people,

I currently own a Janome M100 sewing machine. I bought it only because my last one broke due to the boyfriend attempting to use it and dropping it in the process, and only having £50 of my student loan left for that semester, and i'm on a fashion course . . . GRRR.

It was fine at first. But now for some reason, the tension in the threads has gone . . .

I've tried everything, re-doing the bobbin, getting a new bobbin, different threads, playing with the settings, but all I ever seem to get is a really loose stitch on a straight sitich . . . it's driving me mad! I can pull out the bobbin thread from my stitching in one tug, and i'm wondering what the hell else I can possibly try to fix it!

Can anyone help PLEASE?

Ta
    Proprietor at www.molieredesign.com
    Bespoke wedding clothing creations

Twitter - @molieredesign
    Facebook - www.facebook.com/molieredesign

Hi there
    Not really into a lot of sewing but do remember having a fight with mine some time back then it was the wrong needles......as i say this is not my thing but it may help......maybe?? good luck anyway
    kazxx

Comment

Thanks for that one!

I have actually tried new needles, but it's not really an obvious one to think of . . . I always use the same brand of needles though, just because it's the only ones they ever seem to sell by me!

Twitter - @molieredesign

Comment

So is the loose loops on the top?
        check your needle is sharp, straight (by lying it on a flat surface) is the needle the right size for the fabric?
        "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
        my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

The thread is generally loose, so to speak. I can pull the bottom one out, so I assume its the top one that is not up to tension.

Another note - yup, I theaded my machine correctly too, so it's not that!

Twitter - @molieredesign

Comment

Not for a modern machine but I find it converts to most machines well. no harm in trying. http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...djustment.html

Comment

Thankyou so much for this!

The thign about the big spool of thread may be part of the issue possibly, just because I use so much of it, it could be this!

I don't usually award two rep things in one thread, but I thinky you earned it.
              xx

Twitter - @molieredesign

Comment

I can't award more rep points I'm just glad now I already did it!

Twitter - @molieredesign

Comment

I have found that site has helped sooooo many times. no rep needed hone glad to help. (but always greatfully recived.Ta)

Comment

Just for reference, I found out it was actually my bobbin thread unhooking itself within the sewing machine, getting a bit wrapped up. I noticed it when I moved my sewing . . .

Quite simple, really

Twitter - @molieredesign

Comment

I've added to Goldy1's rep for you - I was going to suggest you look at the tension until I saw that link. I can't beat that, and I've learnt a thing or two as well!
                      Cathy xx
                      http://folksy.com/shops/Cathy
                      http://www.recycledbaglady.co.uk/
                      http://owlfamilydiary.blogspot.com/
                      I don't have a short attention span, I ... Ooh look, there's a chicken!

Comment

Oooh this thread is bringing back memories, I don't do much sewing these days but when I was at school and college I made all my own clothes.

Mum gave me a 2nd hand top of the range Singer for my 21st - doesn't sound much but this was 1968 and it cost £42. After a while I was having top tension problems, no matter how I adjusted the dial, but couldn't afford to take it to be repaired. Eventually I decided that drastic action was needed and took a pair of small pliers to the spring, forcing it round another turn - worked brilliantly for years after.

When I was at art college and taking embroidery as a subsidiary I was making a hanging for a bedhead, drop foot free embroidery with the bottom tension slackened off so that the bottom thread pulled up on spirals and curves.

It took me ages trying out the different machines and adjusting the tension screw on the bobbin shuttle. Eventually I had a Janome set up exactly right - and the tutor stuck a "Machine Out Of Use" sign on it until I had finished.

I'm not up to date with modern machines but I expect tension adjustment can still be pernickety at times.
                        ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                        website
                        blog

Comment

Originally posted by goldy1 View Post
                          Not for a modern machine but I find it converts to most machines well. no harm in trying.
                          (It won't let me include the link)

That has been brilliant, I thought that I had some tension but it seems it has been stuck on 0 for ages!! No problems with the skirt I am making (so far)

Usually the bobbin thread starts going loopy!

Thank you

(& sorry for hijacking your thread)
                          http://sharkfeather.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X