Beginners help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginners help

Hi, I need help with a shirt. It has a number 13 painted on on black but then black sequins glued on over the painted 13 (heinous, I know, right?!). I have removed the sequins but there's glue remaining on the design. I don't know whether to try to remove the glue or more likely repaint the 13. If the latter what paint would be best?
    any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think there are too many variables here for anyone to give you a definitive solution - it will depend on the fabric of the shirt, the age of the shirt, the type of glue, the type of paint used.

On a personal note, I wouldn't be inclined to paint over any glue residue if the end result is going to have any quality to it. My first thought would be to wash the shirt thoroughly and see what, if anything, happens.

Linda

PS Welcome to the forum

Comment

Originally posted by craftdancer2 View Post
      I think there are too many variables here for anyone to give you a definitive solution - it will depend on the fabric of the shirt, the age of the shirt, the type of glue, the type of paint used.

On a personal note, I wouldn't be inclined to paint over any glue residue if the end result is going to have any quality to it. My first thought would be to wash the shirt thoroughly and see what, if anything, happens.

Linda

PS Welcome to the forum
      Thanks Linda the shirt is brand new. The "paint" which I lazily described it as, is whatever transfer they print on clothing. Doubt it's screen printed.
      I'm actually not too bothered about the quality as it's a grungey look I want. I'll pop a pic on if that helps.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Also rhinestones would be a better choice of word than sequins (also more accurate😏)

Comment

As the shirt is new (assuming that also means not yet worn) I'd be inclined to wash it before doing any painting of any sort, simply to wash out the "dress" stiffness new cloth usually has.

I really don't know about what paint to use as this is not a craft I work with - but a bit of research online would probably give you some ideas. There are specific fabric paints available but I have no idea of prices and the viability of them.

If you're not too bothered about a "neat and tidy" final look, then check out what's available, pick the product you think most likely to do the job and try it - on a small section if necessary and see what it looks like after it has had time to set/cure etc.

Hope you find a solution.
            Linda

Comment

Originally posted by craftdancer2 View Post

If you're not too bothered about a "neat and tidy" final look, then check out what's available, pick the product you think most likely to do the job and try it - on a small section if necessary and see what it looks like after it has had time to set/cure
              thank you Linda, much appreciated 👍🏻

Comment

Working...
              X