Got to grips...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got to grips...

Just got to grips with my mums sewing machine(sorta still learning), and would like a simple project to make! Any ideas welcome, i've made a tote bag succesfully! And have some simple materials to use but i will be going on a fabric spree on saturday or friday!

well done you im useless with a sewing machine and admire anyone that can master one so i have no suggestions for you but im sure there will be plenty from the stichers on here
    Jan xx

http://craftyjan.blogspot.com/

Comment

lol i totally understand it was very difficult(i only started yesterday!)

Comment

Do you have children? You could make them a little apron, thats quite simple, or a cushion maybe. Or a purse to go with your bag.
        Amanda
        xx

Comment

Errm no i don't have kids as im only a 13yr old boy!!!

Comment

I also want to learn how to use a sewing machine. One day, maybe...

As for suggestions, how about a

mobile phone holder/bag

a cushion cover

iPod/MP3 cover

a pencil case

HTH
            Debs

My website: www.debeadz.co.uk

My blog: www.debeadz.blogspot.com

Comment

Great news about the sewing!

There`s a book called "yeah I made it myself-DIY Fashion for the not very domestic Godess" there are some great ideas in there and it`s a hilarious read!

It`s by Eithne Farry.

Have fun buying your fabric!

Comment

thanks for suggestions everyone!

Comment

There are a lot of new books out now, including ones that show you how to embellish t-shirts, which would be a good way to start. I can't think of the titles right now but a wander round your local Borders store would be of help. Otherwise look on Amazon.
                  Another useful thing might be the magazine, Sewing World, which often has several simple projects to inspire.
                  It would also be useful to gather as many different types of fabric as you can - just 15cm squares - then test out all the facilities of your machine, particularly any decorative stitches. Any practice like that is worthwhile.

Comment

I'm definitely a learner with my sewing machine too & I have been doing lots & lots of bags... I've moved on to sunhats now which is fun but quite difficult when it comes to lining up the all the bits and pieces. But no button holes or zips which is a real bonus...
                    Ali
                    xx

My Crafty Blog
                    Craft Matters at Etsy

Comment

some good tutorials on crafster this is for a ziperd pouch / pencil case.
                      What about a t-shirt quilt. If you'r anything like my 13 yr old you'll be growing out of your t-shirts all the time. rumege carboots and charity shops for fabric. Old duvets and curtains. mens shirts ect.
                      Last edited by goldy1; 29-05-2008, 10:45 PM.
                      "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
                      my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Don't be fazed by zips or buttonholes. Just take your time and shout out if you need any help. They're just a series of logical steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Moley View Post
                          There are a lot of new books out now, including ones that show you how to embellish t-shirts, which would be a good way to start. I can't think of the titles right now but a wander round your local Borders store would be of help. Otherwise look on Amazon.
                          Another useful thing might be the magazine, Sewing World, which often has several simple projects to inspire.
                          It would also be useful to gather as many different types of fabric as you can - just 15cm squares - then test out all the facilities of your machine, particularly any decorative stitches. Any practice like that is worthwhile.
                          I often use the magazine in search for some new fashion and fabric
                          Mod edited signature - handcrafts only please

Comment

Working...
                          X