No announcement yet.

How many cards to have at a craft fair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many cards to have at a craft fair?

I'm thinking about trying to sell some of my cards at a craft fair at the end of May...
    It would be my very first craft fair and I'm wondering how many cards I should have ready? It seems to me that I should have quite a lot to fill the table and be able to refill in case something gets bought... But I can't figure a number out... I mainly make standard size cards
    Have a great day!

Fofita

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Dancingunderarainbow

Hi Fofita,

It really depends on the type of fair you're going to and how small/big it is. It may be worth working out how many cards you need to sell to recover your costs (cost of producing your cards, stall fee, fuel) and then how many over that you need to sell to make some money for the day. You could view it is an exercise to test the market, e.g. which of your designs are most popular, what are customers asking for, and also as a promotional exercise to give out business cards directing people to your online shop.
    Happywrap - Reusable Fabric Gift Wrap

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/happywrap

Comment

I agree it depends somewhat on the type of event. I would take as many as you have ready - you do not need to display them all at once. It is hard to predict how many you might sell but if it is not there you can't sell it and you can bet that the one card you will asked for is the one you decided not to bring.

I sell other paper related goods too but for my cards I use three card display stands (two static and one spinner - each holds up to 75 cards) and a couple of other containers, have a few cards on special display and the rest I keep bagged, boxed and organised by theme under the table. (The organised part is important because you do't want customers to walk away while you are under the table muttering I know its here somewhere )

Events can be a great way to test the market...and to also get ideas for new lines. Sometimes someone might ask for a card you had never considered ...

I hope you have fun at the event and don't forget to come back and let us know how it went...

Comment

Tank you all for your replies! The fair was on Sunday and I haven't sold anything, but I'm looking forward to attending another craft fair because I have learnt a lot, and I still had a great day with my son! I had taken all my cards, planning to put 38 on display, but in the end, it was so windy that I couldn't display them as I had planned and I had to leave a few boxed... I'm trying to register for 2 ther fairs in June, and I will have time to make more cards and improve my booth a lot based on what I've learnt from this experience!
        Have a great day!

Fofita

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Dancingunderarainbow

Comment

Its good that despite a disappointing event sales wise, you are able to see this as a learning curve and it hasn't put you off altogether. We are all learning all the time and if you would care to share, I would love to know the things you learned from this experience.

I generally try to avoid outdoor events - they are definitely not the card maker/ paper crafters friend and require a very different set of plans to avoid chasing stock around the place...A gazebo with side panels helps but if that is not an option then pegging cards on a wire or fixing them to a backboard/display frame, attaching ribbon strips to the table to hold things down and of course using baskets and boxes etc are some options.

Comment

Just been reading another post where Lucy Blossom gave a link to her blog (which is lovely - obviously written from the heart). She writes about the lack of sales at craft fairs. A lot of crafters seem disappointed with craft fair sales - is this a general thing or something more recent? What sort of prices are charged for a stall? - I would imagine it is quite hard to sell enough items at reasonable prices to cover all your costs.

Comment

Working...
            X