Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how does one get their cards noticed and sold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how does one get their cards noticed and sold?

i've been creating greeting cards since october 2012, using drawings i've done of local buildings and colouring them on the computer. i've sold a few at a local craft sale novemeber 2012, since then i've sold a few more to friends of the family.

apart from that it feels like i'm just creating them for myself. I have contacted local shops and submitted artwork online to greeting card companies but only every hear back from maybe one or two or hear nothing at all.

I wish I knew the answer to this problem, I sell very few of my cards, despite those that have bought them saying they are nice and I should be able to sell more - doesnt seem to be the case
    Perhaps there are just too many folks selling cards now
    My Crafting Blog - http://croftcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/

My Facebook Crafting Page - http://https://www.facebook.com/Crof...sCardsKnitting

Comment

Are they unique? There are just so many card sellers that I think they need to be really nice to get noticed and have sales.
      Coryographies on Etsy (bookshelf, tea, and sushi jewellery)
      Coryographies' Blog (Join the free giveaway!)
      Coryographies on Facebook
      Twitter: @Coryographies
      If you'd like to swap shop banners to advertise on each others' sites please message me

Comment

If they are local buildings perhaps you are only going to have a local market anyway. Have you tried local businesses,a bit late for Christmas but I know an estate agent local to us always has a local scene or character building on his cards that he sends out to clients. Perhaps getting commissions from such local businesses might be one way forward

Good luck anyway

David
        www.panachegifts.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Panach...60271863992797

Twitter @PanacheGifts

Comment

I've now got a simple website setup with most of my card designs uploaded for viewing purposes, the address I can't post as it says I need 25 posts.. I've got a few in the local tourist info shop here where I live and some at a craft shop in Dedham which is a popular tourist spot, but they aren't selling many due to where they are on display hopefully I will sell some at our next church craft sale.

Comment

I don't sell any cards so have not had this problem but I would imagine that you are in a position common to most card makers that sell. Trouble with selling via someone else's shop is your price has to be rock bottom so they can buy cheap enough from you and make a profit on a price that people will actually pay. Why not do the same artwork but for tourist spots all over the country and try to sell to a wider audience. I think that promoting your art services to local businesses especially at seasonal times of the year is a great idea. A lot of people make a lot of cards these days but a niche product will always win out.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dDave View Post
              I don't sell any cards so have not had this problem but I would imagine that you are in a position common to most card makers that sell. Trouble with selling via someone else's shop is your price has to be rock bottom so they can buy cheap enough from you and make a profit on a price that people will actually pay. Why not do the same artwork but for tourist spots all over the country and try to sell to a wider audience. I think that promoting your art services to local businesses especially at seasonal times of the year is a great idea. A lot of people make a lot of cards these days but a niche product will always win out.

Dave.
              I've been selling them cheap, but the trouble is it's the location in the shop they are placed and whether people visit the shops often to see / like them.

I consider my designs unique as they are done in my own style. scanned pencil drawings and coloured with photoshop. I just use 300 gsm card off amazon, a3 plastic wallets and c6 white envelopes to package them. I print them via a canon ip2702 which does a great print. I haven't come across any cards that are similar in design yet.

If anyone wants to see some designs I can send you a link via a private message. I'd love some comments.

When I took them to the Christmas sale we had last year at our local church I sold nearly all of them and I only had 3 designs. This year I have over 30 designs + Christmas versions.

so far I've done cards of places like (my home town Colchester) a few of London, one of a Suffolk castle, and few of Dedham.

Comment

I've been asked to make cards by local shop owners when they have seen cards I've sent to people. I've had to decline as I only make for my own use. I will sometimes make one for close friends or family as a favour. Visit any quality local (quality) business and see if they will sell them on a comission basis. Hairdressers and nail salons seem to have them in my area. There are lots of local shopping areas but not many quality card sellers.

What prices do you charge for your cards? If you can reproduce them in bulk you may get corporate clients giving you orders for Chrustmas cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftychez View Post
                  I've been asked to make cards by local shop owners when they have seen cards I've sent to people. I've had to decline as I only make for my own use. I will sometimes make one for close friends or family as a favour. Visit any quality local (quality) business and see if they will sell them on a comission basis. Hairdressers and nail salons seem to have them in my area. There are lots of local shopping areas but not many quality card sellers.

What prices do you charge for your cards? If you can reproduce them in bulk you may get corporate clients giving you orders for Chrustmas cards.
                  1.35 per card at the moment. I've got a box full of them at. I've got two possible places I can sell next month. mostly just local atm connected with the church. we've had some open days at our home twice now and invited neighbours round and sold quite a few then as well. people seem to like them and they liked them at the church sale I mentioned.
                  so friends and the people in the local area seem to like them, which is a start. I just want to find some large outlets for them. contacting places scares me a bit though as I suffer from anxiety (haven't always) started the card making to occupy my mind at the time, but now I know people like them, it's just finding places as you guys say.

Comment

I'd have thought local markets / fairs would be your best venue. Does your local area have a History Society, Womens Institute, or other social group that would be interested in you giving them a talk about your drawings and you could bring some cards along to sell afterwards.
                    Carol
                    Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
                    Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Craftychez View Post

If you can reproduce them in bulk you may get corporate clients giving you orders for Chrustmas cards .
                      Fab idea, especially if their corporate premises are located in a historical / unusual building which you could replicate in your drawings.
                      Carol
                      Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
                      Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

I buy bespoke cards for my business christmas cards and I would buy pictures of my village or town. I black and white drawing matted and layered with embossed tram lines round the edge would look classy. You can remind them they would be fulfilling their corporate social responsibility by supporting other local businesses.

To make yourself less nervous don't put pressure on yourself to achieve anything. Just tell yourself you are going to say hello and have a brief conversation. It might help if you look at it that you are helping them to source something rather than going to make a sale.

Comment

£1.35 per card sounds ridiculously low to me considering the bits you buy to package the cards plus the effort you put into producing them. Trust me on this one....you don't suffer from anxiety, a part of you is anxious. Confidence wise there is a vast difference between the two. Contact places, just jump in, the anxiety will diminish if you ignore it. What's the worst that can happen? What if it doesn't? It's all relative.

Good Luck.

Dave.

Comment

Why not see if any of your local care/nursing homes have a shop where you could supply them.

My Mum is 94 and in such a home with a fluctuating 50-75 residents and about 30 staff on rotas. The residents have a little shop selling a few basic essentials, soap, toilet rolls, tins of soup etc and it is manned by the residents themselves with profits to the residents fund. They have a card maker who leaves a small supply with the shop and pops in regularly to top up. Apparently sales are quite steady as most residents can't get out of the building easily and are grateful for a supply of cards that they can choose from themselves.

Just an idea

David
                            www.panachegifts.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Panach...60271863992797

Twitter @PanacheGifts

Comment

Firstly I'd never expect to sell many just by having them on a website. There aren't many people who want a card who start searching in google. Having said that I think a website is a great way of having an online catalog where you can send existing customers. Try and make sure every card you sell has your url on it ( a little copyright/made by/url at the bottom on the back) or at least on the packaging.

Build up customers through friends, church groups etc. Offer to make personalised cards for local scout/cub/towns womens guild/WI groups. Attend local craft fairs, school events, coffee morning etc etc. The main aim should be to make contact with those who could be become long term customers. Customers are hard to come by so try and keep the ones you get.

Email lists are a great way of keeping customers. Then you can send out an email telling people when you add new designs to your site.
                              Craftville: Free Craft Downloads
                              No Membership just visit & Browse
                              Craftville.com

Comment

Working...
                              X