2 envelopes for 1 card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 envelopes for 1 card?

Hi everyone, 1st time poster and to be honest, I registered specifically to ask a question...
    This may seem like a silly question but i'm a noob so it's allowed!! I'm soon going to venture into selling my greetings cards online. I'm getting them done by a printing company and they will send them to me as 1 envelope per card, which is fine.
    What's bamboozelled me is the fact that any customer I have will not be buying a card for themselves but obviously to give to somebody else, which I assume means that I need 2 envelopes per card - 1 the customer needs for their recipient and 1 I need to send to the customer...if all that makes sense?!
    I will also assume that unless i'm missing something ridiculously obvious, lots of you will have encountered the same issue and i'm hoping someone will help me out.
    Do I use 2 envolopes? Does 1 of the envolopes need to be bigger than the envolope i'm putting inside the other 1? Or do you use something else entirely to post the card and envelope like a mailing bag or something?
    Thanks in advance for your replies

You generally sell with 1 envelope per card in a cello bag to protect. If you then send to a customer for a postal order I would send in a board backed envelope larger than the cello bag to ensure gets to the customer undamaged. You have to ensure that you factor the cost for the board backed envelope into your P & P.

Comment

Thank you for the swift reply. Is this the standard way? I was hoping to keep my costs down but using this route will lose me one of my USP's.
      Edit: I should add - a USP compared to the large internet companies!!

Edit Edit! hehe. If I choose to go this route, would an A5 card and envelope fit inside an A5 board back envelope or would I need to use the next size up? Which I think is a overkill A4? But I may be wrong... and hope I am.

Cheers
      Last edited by stanleo; 05-01-2013, 06:50 AM.

Comment

You would need the next size up and you should put your card and envelope into a cello bag when selling, which will increase the size again. What you have to remember is the customer will expect the card to arrive in pristine condition.

Comment

Agree completely with Caroline, if I ordered a card online I would expect it to arrive in a board backed envelope so there's no chance it could get bent or damaged on the way to me. I really don't think there's any way to send it to a customer without putting it in something as surely that's the nature of selling online.

If you buy in bulk you can keep the cost of board back envelopes down to something like 10p each.
          Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
            Agree completely with Caroline, if I ordered a card online I would expect it to arrive in a board backed envelope so there's no chance it could get bent or damaged on the way to me. I really don't think there's any way to send it to a customer without putting it in something as surely that's the nature of selling online.

If you buy in bulk you can keep the cost of board back envelopes down to something like 10p each.
            Yeah I guess you are both right and the cost shouldn't be a major issue. What bothers me more is having to use an a4 BB envelope for an a5 sized card. I've bought cards online myself from big companies like moonpig and small sole traders on eBay but I never recall having it sent in an a4 sized envelope with a card half of that size inside it.
            I'll look into it.
            Thanks guys

Comment

There used to be a quarto size but think that went out with metrication, when we were diddled in other ways as well. Why are you worried if a customer has paid for the P & P this covers your costs, or go to a local stationers and look for an envelope which will fit and cut some card to fit inside. Moonpig etc generally send direct to the recipient not to an address to be reforwarded on. I use boxes for a lot of my goods even though it is dearer but at least know the item will arrive as it should, hence why I charge a flat rate.

Comment

I send my cards in a board backed envelope.If you look on ebay you can et some good priced envelopes, dont buy them on the high street as they can cost a fortune each.
                https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Ordinary C5 envelopes are a bit bigger than greetings card enevelopes to fit C5 sized cards. I prefer greetings card enevelopes as they fit the card better than 'standard' envelopes.

I would bulk buy a box of 250 C5 envelopes and put the cello wrapped card in a folded sheet of 220-300gsm A4 card in the C5 envelope. Much cheaper this way.

Comment

Thanks for all replies. I'd like to ask more newbie questions, any replies welcome.
                    I'm getting the cards sent to me blank on the inside. I'm more than happy to sell them this way but I want to be able to personalize them for the folk that want it.
                    Will I be able to run already printed and folded cards through a home printer to add text to the inside without damaging the image or the card in any way?

Comment

You would have to test the card as it may damage the print on the front, I think in this day and age customers are quite happy with being left blank that way they can use for any purpose.

Comment

Its interesting you say that - I agree, but for the exact same reason you gave I don't have any text on the front either because i'm trying to keep the card and image generic enough to be used for many occasions instead of tying it down to one.
                        In your experience, would having no text on the card at all be seen as a negative to customers or is it not an issue?

Comment

I have a photographer friend who makes up sme of his photos into cards, all left blank and never a problem. Some customers will buy a selection of cards for many purposes and being left blank makes it easier to use, so unless asked I would leave blank, you could always say you will add text if required, take an order and maybe in that instance print from your own printer and score.

Comment

If the cards have an insert, then putting them through the printer could cause damage to it, otherwise it would probably be fine.
                            www.dementiaactivitysupplies.weebly.com

https://www.facebook.com/Dementia-Activity-Supplies

Comment

Cards need an insert otherwise (in my opinion) they look cheap. Why do you buy card blanks? I buy sheets of card and make my own blanks. A4 220gsm card works out at about 6p/sheet. I make inserts from lighter weight card or heavy weight paper, usually around 160gsm for the inserts. I'm not really into printing as I love different textures so I stamp my greetings. Occasionally some items I make are more suited to peel off greetings.

Comment

Working...
                              X