Promarkers tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promarkers tutorial

Hi I've had a go at making a promarkers tutorial on my blog, it's my first ever tutorial and I was wondering if anyone could "review" it for me? Just to make sure it makes sense to people other than myself lol =) Link is in my signature, please let me know what you think.
    Add me please www.facebook.com/nappycakes1511

Hi Haley

Well done for tackling a tutorial. I remember when I started using Promarkers it was forums and tutorials etc that helped me learn what I needed to. So the more information that's out there the better!

A few things that I would mention are:

Most people want to know what ink to use when stamping and using Promarkers. Promarkers are solvent based and therefore need to be used in conjunction with a water-based ink. Most people would say that Memento inkpads are the best choice for Promarkers.

The other thing people want to know is what kind of card or paper to use. This is actually a more important consideration than you might think. The magic about Promarkers is that they blend together smoothly and efficiently. So, different colours can be used together to create light and shade within a stamped image - making it jump out from the page. But in order to achieve a smooth blend you really need to use 'good' quality cardstock. Many people recommend either: Stampin' Up 'Whisper White'; Rymans card; CraftworkCards Digital card; or Neenah Solar card (available from Create & Craft TV website). All of these brands of cardstock are great, and they minimise the amount of bleed (when the ink spreads out beyond the line of the stamped image).

The other thing I would mention is that Promarkers - being solvent-based, permanent markers will actually write on practically ANY surface. Your tutorial stated that the ink would rub off from a shiny or glossy surface, but in fact, if it's left to dry properly it will not rub off at all. They can be used to colour flat-backed gems, acetate, velum, glass, plastic, etc. Just make sure you leave them time to dry and they will become completely waterproof.

Another thing you mentioned was streakiness. That's one thing that Promarkers definitely do not do. LOL! They give a perfect, almost printed look to the images they colour. Perhaps, if you are getting a streaky result it's due to the card you are using? Or maybe you haven't put down enough ink? Seriously, even if you scribbled in random directions and in a really messy way, Promarkers would STILL give a fab result (as long as the cardstock is good).

By the way, a good tip when you are colouring with them is to not go right up to the line because there will possibly be some 'bleed' which will naturally take the ink up to (or beyond) the line. It's a really a case of experimenting.

My final word would be that there are something like 150 Promarker colours available. The reason there are so many is to allow us to use them to add shade to our images. Your stamped image is adorable and the colours you've picked are nice and bright. But you've not taken advantage of the colouring potential that Promarkers give. Your image is coloured in a 'flat' way. Whereas, if you had used two or maybe three different greys on the koala bear, or 2 or 3 colours of orange on the big pressie, for example, you could have created an almost 3D look to the image. To do this you would decide where your light source is coming from and then colour the image according to where shade would naturally be.

To a certain extent this can also be achieved using multiple layers of the same colour. But you would need to let the ink dry inbetween 'coats' in order to achieve a depth of colour.

I've got the same stamp set that you used - it was a freebie with Quick Cards Made Easy. Have a look at the coloured image of your stamp on the backing sheet that came with the set. Notice where the koala has darker patches of grey. And look at the colours on the presents - there are areas where the colours are slightly darker, indicating the shadow cast by the koala. This is the kind of result that can be achieved with Promarkers. Here is a great example of the kind of thing that can be achieved (not my work, I hasten to add! I'm nowhere near that level yet!).

So, there you go, that's my thoughts and/or advice about your tutorial. Promarkers are amazing! I love mine! I hope you continue to have fun using them.

By the way, a great website for Promarker lovers is here: http://promarkerchallenge.blogspot.com/

Lori
    x
    My PInterest profile

Comment

Hi Hayley
      Lori has beaten me to it with her very detailed reply. The real joy of working with promarkers is the way in which it is so easy to add depth, light and shadow by the simple laying down of colours. There are millions of tutorials on promarkers out there ...among some of the best are on the Whiff of Joy blog where they show step by step the process and give the colours used etc.

The range of shades is huge and when people first discover promarkers it is easy to be tempted to buy a wide range of colours instead of the sets which are designed to work together and compliment each other....Of course you can achieve fab results by laying down layers of the same shade too

On the point of using them on glossy surfaces - I have just used promarkers on the shiny side of cds...with some blending it is possible to achieve the same effects as with alcohol inks and once dry the colour is there to stay...

As you experiement with your [promarkers you will be delighted at the ways in which you can use them...Have fun

Comment

Hi Christa

Wow! I've just had a wee look at the Whiff of Joy blog and got totally engrossed! It's fab - thanks for mentioning it. It's not one that I'd come across till now. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some tips.

Lori
        x
        My PInterest profile

Comment

Originally posted by New2Craftz View Post
          Hi Christa

Wow! I've just had a wee look at the Whiff of Joy blog and got totally engrossed! It's fab - thanks for mentioning it. It's not one that I'd come across till now. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some tips.

Lori
          x
          The team at WOJ are a real delight...their stamps are great too and I have a couple in my collection -the quality is fabulous. I am sure you'll pick up loads of handy hints and tips on their blog ...glad to have been of help.

Comment

Working...
          X