Advice about creative/design team blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice about creative/design team blog

Hi, I'm looking for advice or suggestions about setting up a design team to promote my digital stamps and wondered if anyone here can help me? One of my customers had offered to set up a team but has had to drop out and now it looks like it's down to me - haven't a clue how to go about it!

As far as I can see I put out a message (not sure where) to say I am looking for people to be on the team, choose member from applicants, give them each stamp for free when I release it. They have to design a card with it, post it up on their blog and I can link from my blog to it, the idea being that they get lovely free stamps and I get a chance to promote my stamps a little bit.

Has anyone here been on one of these design teams or even run one? Love to hear all the pros and cons - suggestion etc. as it all seems a bit daunting at the moment!
    The Jellypark Blog

Jellypark Store

Hi there
    I have been on several design teams so maybe can help...although I was recruited and did not have to apply the general thing seems to be to put out a design team call and ask applicants to provide a link to their blog/work and submit via email two samples of their work including at least one made using any digi stamp and set a deadline for this.

Usual way to put out the call is by a blogpost/FB etc and by posting in craft/cardmaking forums asking any pals/ blog followers to spread the word/blog about your DT call too

Once you close the call you need to select your team form the applicants - most obviously looking for a variety of styles and skill sets. You will need to draw up a DT agreement with your team which lays down the basic requirements on the design team members - for example that you will provide them with a free digi and they in turn agree to produce X by Y date . A minimum number of stamps/projects per stamp is usually agreed and a minimum term is also agreed.

If you are using the team to launch new digi designs then you may want to include in the t&c that they cannot upload their completed samples anywhere else until after the release date

It is often a good idea to start people off as guest designers so you can see the range of their skills and their reliability and you can often get more interest in your goods/blog & DT if you offer guest spots too once you have an established team.

You should take on at least two more people than you think you will need because illness, holidays and life in general can get in the way.

If you get a shortlist you can maybe provide a (ahem) less than inspiring digi for them to work with and see what they come up with - that should help you choose. A balance of styles and abilities is good...card makers and scrap bookers and people who make 3d projects all use digis.

I have just followed your link and checked out your gorgeous digis and I think you will be swamped with hopeful applicants. I wish you luck.

Comment

Thank you Christa, that helps SO much, I think I am getting my head around it now. That loads of info to get me going, need to sit down and really think about this. and get myself organised. You said you were recruited, does that mean someone saw your work and simply asked you to be part of the their team? How long would someone expect to be on a team for?

Sorry, loads of questions!
      The Jellypark Blog

Jellypark Store

Comment

Hi Claire,

Having just been through the exact same process I have sent you a PM.

Hope it helps!

Jo
        www.alongcamejo.squarespace.com

Comment

I've sent a PM but just want to say thanks on here Jo, so much really helpful information - I'm finding this forum so friendly, so glad i joined!
          The Jellypark Blog

Jellypark Store

Comment

Hi Claire I've just checked out your blog and digis, they are so sweet! Sorry I don't know anything about putting together a design team but I would be interested in applying when you start recruiting.
            Good luck!
            Add me please www.facebook.com/nappycakes1511

Comment

Thank you Hayley! Following your blog now so keep an eye out for the DT call, not sure when it will be yet I'm afraid. I'm eager to get everything going soon, new website and DT, but got an operation at the end of August and not sure if I will be put out of action or not for a few weeks afterwards - maybe I should leave it til a bit later in the year to be on the safe side.
              The Jellypark Blog

Jellypark Store

Comment

Really interesting, I'd kind of thought about this as I'm planning some digital downloads (quite a way off yet, I think). I'd thought about getting cardmakers to try out the designs but a design team is a fab idea.

I'll be watching with interest, so if anyone else has any suggestions, please do chip in!
                digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
                blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
                hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
                blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

Been a change of plan again, the lady who was going to create and run the design team and challenge blog has managed to juggle things round and is back on board! I've passed on all the info I have got from you and now I am helping her out with it rather than just leaving it all to her as I didn't understand it!

We are going to have a Design Team call and I'll post it up on here when I write enough posts to be allowed to!!

Thanks again for such useful advice, I'm excited by it rather than daunted by it now xx
                  The Jellypark Blog

Jellypark Store

Comment

That's brill Claire, good luck! Keep us all informed x
                    Add me please www.facebook.com/nappycakes1511

Comment

I've seen your DT call!! And I can vouch for the stamps - I've bought 4 and blogged one so far - http://tiptoptoppers.blogspot.com/20...n-monster.html and have two others coloured up to go!

Good luck with the DT Claire!!

Comment

Working...
                      X