Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice re silicone / 3D glues

Hi all,

As soon as I tried doing decoupage with silicone glue I was hooked on it, no more trying to pull decoupage apart when not lining up properly, and no more little bits of foam backing paper lying everywhere. I am now having some problems though and would like to know what glues people prefer for dimensional work.

Initially I was using Stix 2 acid free silicone but found that I was getting through it quickly and was working out very expensive. I tried some other silicone glues but I found when doing a lot of decoupage work in short period of time it could affect my asthma and give headache despite having windows open. I then stumbled across Pinflair Glue Gel which seemed to be perfect. Completely clear, odour free and dried clearer and firmer than silicone glue. I have made hundreds of cards using it. I have recently got out some cards that I had stored in cello bags to send to family members and found that they really stink. It seems that although pinflair is odour free to start with after being stored in bags it is developing a strong smell. Its now worrying me that once I start selling my cards people will complain or be put off because of this smell. I dont get this on non dimensional cards, only the ones where I have used pinflair. I have looked up reviews of Pinflair but no one else seems to mention this problem.

Is there some sort of trick where you shouldnt seal the bags for so long? I always wait til the glue is completely dry before putting into cello bags. Is silicone glue better as although that smelly when using I cant remember it having an odour once dry but havent used for so long. I do know that I've read reviews saying silicone glues can mark certain paper and cardstock with a grease type stain.

I'd be grateful for any advice as too what glues people use and whether other people get this problem with pinflair. Are there any tips to avoid this?

Many thanks

Pauline

I have always used foam pads but have never heard any complaints regarding Pinflair Glue. One to avoid however is Dovecraft Silicone Glue. I bought a tube & made 30 cards using it. A week later all my cards had greasy stains throughout. I was devastated so I contacted Dovecraft 3 times & never even got an acknowledgement :-(

Clare x

Comment

I use foam pads too. One tip is to go over the foam pads with a bit of prit-stik type glue before sticking down that way you can reposition the cut out if you put it on wonky before it dries. Doesn't help with all the tiny squares of backing paper though, if someone can solve that one they'd make millions.
      Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by Thread-bare View Post
        I have always used foam pads but have never heard any complaints regarding Pinflair Glue. One to avoid however is Dovecraft Silicone Glue. I bought a tube & made 30 cards using it. A week later all my cards had greasy stains throughout. I was devastated so I contacted Dovecraft 3 times & never even got an acknowledgement :-(

Clare x
        That's terrible customer service.

You should send a letter (by recorded delivery) addressed 'private & confidential' to one of he directors of the company. Explain that you have already contacted the company about your complaint but that it was ignored and you received no response.

This page might help locate the directors etc: http://www.companiesintheuk.co.uk/ltd/dovecraft-(uk)

There have been 2 occasions in which I have personally written to the 'top man/woman' in order to get a problem sorted out because their customer service was lacking. And in both cases I received a telephone call or letter by return on the day of receipt of my letters.

I wouldn't recommend going straight to the top without a company getting the chance to sort out the problem but if their customer service falls short and you're not getting anywhere then this will most likely sort everything out.
        Carol
        Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
        Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

One tip is to go over the foam pads with a bit of prit-stik type glue before sticking down that way you can reposition the cut out if you put it on wonky before it dries.
          Thanks for that, thats a great tip. I may try that with the foam rolls or the large stix 2 pads. Perhaps someone should invent a wet foam type glue for us crafters, goes on like a glue but dries to a foam. Builders get stuff like that so why cant we?? LOL

I buy in bulk but with not crafting a lot since my daughter was born I havent got through it and am now finding that in some tubes I open it has gone yellow and has the same smell I get on my stored cards. It seems it just doesnt age very well, although my tubes are at max a year to 18 months old. I have now found a review that says the same about an old unopened tube of it. I have emailed the company to ask for advice.

One to avoid however is Dovecraft Silicone Glue. I bought a tube & made 30 cards using it. A week later all my cards had greasy stains throughout. I was devastated so I contacted Dovecraft 3 times & never even got an acknowledgement :-(
          I agree that its awful Dovecraft didnt get back to you. You put trust in products made specifically for crafting so its very annoying when they end up ruining your work.

I must admit I'm terrified that I'll have to dump all my cards made with pinflair. if not down to smell then because of yellow marks showing through, I hadnt seen any yellow on them but now I've seen how it goes in tube I am worried for my pale coloured ones. I have only given cards to friends and family so far and although they havent said anything I'm wondering if they just being polite. I'll see what company says.

Comment

I too use silcone glue on all my card making. I have trouble with the foam pads. I tried Stix 2 anything silcone adhesive and it was horrible. It stinks and greese marks show thought the next day, so I wouldn't use that one again. I use Clear Silcone adhesive from Craft Creation. Yes it's expensive, but doesn't stain. I too find that once put in the poly bags, when you first get it out it smells a bit , but wears off once removed.

I'm going to do a Decoupage demo at one of my craft parties soon, and I use the foam pads on them (as I sell the kits, which I make up), so I'm going to try and put a bit of pritt stick on to see how I get on. I like to be able to move them before setting down.
            Susan Bradford
            www.SusanSpencerCards.co.uk
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/handma...ysusanbradford

Comment

The best glue for decoupage is MS POLYMER, it does not stain as there is no grease or silicone in it, it is cheaper (alot) than pinflair or the equivalents, it has no smell, it is clear and it sticks so well nothing ever parts or falls off.
              It can not be beaten all round by any other glue!!

Comment

Hi there, I do alot of decoupage and found the best glues so far are either the MS Polymer or the 3d glue gel crafters companion do. Neither leave grease marks or smell even after leaving in cello bags.
                The glue on the back of the foam pad is a brill trick and when I use foam pads I always do this as I find it works a treat.
                Michelle

http://www.michellescraftycards.blogspot.com

http://www.folksy.com/shops/CShellDesigns

Comment

Working...
                X