What is a sizzix machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a sizzix machine?

I've already asked on another thread, but I think it might get overlooked as the thread is really about something else....

What exactly does a sizzix machine do? How does it work?

I want to know if I can cut letters with it, if so, can you do felt? Can you choose how big?

Cheers for any tips!
    Emma
    Blog Website Flickr

Hi Emma,

it's a die cutting machine. You can use it to cut paper, thin card and other items. It will cut felt and I know that you can also get dies for patchworking.

There are 3 different sized dies small/medium/large. The lettering ones depending which you get as I think there are now smaller dies called sizzlets.

I bought mine a few years ago when they were all the rage and to be honest I never really used it other than in the first couple of weeks when I bought loads of dies and cut everything I could find lol.

Take a look a their website for ideas etc. http://www.sizzix.com/shop.cfm .... ooh I've just looked on there and found even bigger alphabet dies ... hmmmmmmm lol
    Caroline

You don't need talent to be artistic you just need patience!

www.potterdoodledoo.co.uk

Comment

Blimey they're not cheap are they?

I might just have to stick to good old scissors for the time being.

Thanks for the info
      Emma
      Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Try ebay for cheaper dies - you can get some real bargains (I do on a regular basis hahah!) I try and go for the ones that you can get multiple things from - like the doll clothes as I customise them to suit what I want.

Also with the Sizzix machine (not the sidekick) you can use a lot of other different brands - you will just need a convertor (around £10) and an adaptor (around £1)

Comment

The machines aren't cheap, I bought mine for around £75 about 3 years ago. Although the cost doesn't just stop at the machine, there's all the dies that you buy for it too, these used to range from around £7.50 - £15.00 depending what size and where you got them from. I have the bodies and clothing (large ones not bitty), gingerbread man & house. I cut a load out last year and donated them to my daughters school .... the kids had a blast colouring and making different faces etc on them. Another really popular one with the bodies is using a butterfly and part of a flower to make them into fairies ... now those look sooo cute, I made dozens of them for my daughter and her friends which I cut from glitter card. Just looked on eBay to try and find an auction with a pic, but it doesn't look like anyone is selling them ...... hmmmmm maybe I should get my machine out
          Caroline

Comment

hello
            i got my sizzix machine off ebay, someone sells them brand new for about £35 and dies cheaper when bought with the machine, check out this link if it works.
            http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sizzix-Die-Cut...QQcmdZViewItem
            Deanne x

My daily goings on
            My online store
            My monthly craft group

Comment

I'm confused . I've heard of the side kick and the big shot before but i don't know what this one is. Is it just a standard one? If it is i didn't realise they do them. Is it as good as the big shot that everyone raves about? If so the price is amazing.
              Emma
              Luxury craft supplies & magnolia Stamps - Sassy Crafts
              Sassy Crafts Blog
              My Blog

Comment

I got a sizzix and bigshot i dont use either of them much but i use my quickutz all the time

I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It

Comment

Originally posted by EMEvans View Post
                  I'm confused . I've heard of the side kick and the big shot before but i don't know what this one is. Is it just a standard one? If it is i didn't realise they do them. Is it as good as the big shot that everyone raves about? If so the price is amazing.
                  A sidekick is a smaller version of the Sizzix, I think that it only takes the Sizzlet dies. The bigshot is obviously a larger version, but I've never actually researched those as I have a standard one.

All of the products are made by Ellison and they also have a much larger version which I think was aimed at business and school use rather than home crafting. They have dies specifically for the Ellison branded machines but most of them (except the really large ones) will fit into the standard Sizzix. The larger ones may fit the Bigshot, but you'd need to check on that as I don't know much about it. Ellisons site is http://www.ellison.com/?p=shophome which gives you a full list of their products.

You do need a converter and possibly an extra cutting board to use some of the thinner dies in the Sizzix (such as the thin cuts and Sizzlets), but these are really inexpensive, my converter cost about £11 a few years ago and the cutting board was around £3.

If you're thinking about a die cutting machine, I would suggest that you do your research. New products are constantly being added to the market and there looks to be some great electronic ones about now too.

If you want a relatively cheap cutting system, then I don't think you can go far wrong with a Sizzix. The advantage also is that dies are constantly being added to the ranges. But not only from Ellison / Sizzix, if you look on eBay there are people selling their own designs which will fit these machines perfectly.
                  Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Potter Doodle Doo View Post
                    If you want a relatively cheap cutting system, then I don't think you can go far wrong with a Sizzix. The advantage also is that dies are constantly being added to the ranges. But not only from Ellison / Sizzix, if you look on eBay there are people selling their own designs which will fit these machines perfectly.

I agree!!

Comment

i use my sizzix all the time, i have an adapter so i can use the sizzlit and quickutz dies too. it is harder using the smaller dies sometimes but its okay for the amount i use it for.
                      i wouldnt be without out, but i would love a big shot too..
                      Deanne x

My daily goings on
                      My online store
                      My monthly craft group

Comment

This thread has got me thinking about my Sizzix and I've been looking around the web for updated information etc. If anyone would like to try die cuts on cards etc. without having the expense of buying a machine and dies, check out http://www.diestodiefor.co.uk/products.php. I haven't used them so don't know what they're like regarding delivery times etc. but they have a very nice selection of die cuts for sale at around £1.20 for 10 of 1 design.

Caroline

Comment

I WANT ONE

Lisa. xx

Comment

Hi,

I have had the sizzix, sidekick and big shot. Also working in a craft shop i have used the quickutz and bosskut as well.

I would definately stick with the big shot because it is so easy to use and cuts perfectly everytime. Plus you can use all different makes of die on it.

I found the sizzix sometimes ddin't cut properly and the sidekick seems to have changed recently and can now only cut paper (otherwise it breaks)

Comment

New Dies

Hi,

I am at work now just had a load of the new sizzix dies delivered they are great!! We are hoping to upload them on our site soon!

Sooo exciting!

Comment

Working...
                              X