Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please!!

Hi Cardy's!!

I have an idea about making some cards with a piece of jewellery attached. A face with some earrings attached for example.

I think this would make an excellent and fairly cheap gift. Does anyone agree?

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions as to how i could go about this i'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
    Laura
    Beyond Beads
    Handmade Beaded Jewellery for all occasions

[email protected]

www.beyondbeads.co.uk
    www.myspace.com/beyondbeads

Hi Laura,

I think this is a fab idea!! I've seen something similar, but the cards were massed produced and you could tell the earrings were cheap tat.

Not being a card maker myself, I'm not sure how you would go about attaching earrings to the cards, but the ones I saw just had a tiny hole where the earring went through and tape on the other side to hold them in place.

Hope that helps
    Carol
    Sparklez.co.uk
    Handmade Jewellery

Comment

Maybe put the earrings through a tiny hole in the card then put those rubber stopers on the back, like you get to stop the earrings falling off that bit of plastic in the shops.

Another thing is, if you want the card to be displayed with the earrings then it would be best to make sure the card has the opening at the bottom, not at the side as I think the weight of the earrings may cause it to fall forward if the opening is at the side.
      https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Yeah, i'm just concerened about the earrings getting damaged and the backs getting squashed and bent........don't really know how i can avoid that though.

Can you get little card boxes rather than envelopes? That might solve it. Although if i want to keep my price low they'd have to be reasonably cheap......

Help!!!!!
        Beyond Beads

[email protected]

www.beyondbeads.co.uk

Comment

Hi Laura,

That would be a great idea. I actually bought Christmas cards this year with a face on and they had plastic Christmas Tree earings through the ears in the card. The earings were really cheap and nasty, but the cards themselves weren't.

I think with your jewellery you would be onto a winner. You could even do stones in birthday months (if you do this) for birthday cards.

Another thought you could do a sort of a half body on the card and attach a necklace to the neck for one and a bracelet to the other. You could sort of a make three one with earings, one with a necklace and one with the bracelet.

Good luck.

Lisa

Bowed Over
          Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

I had a hat template some where it showed abit of the neck on there that would be great for the necklace to go on now where oh where did i put it

I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It

Comment

You can get boxes for cards but the only place I have seen them is Lakeland and they were quite expensive. They are out there though!
              Great idea by the way!
              Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
              My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
              My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone!

The necklace and bracelet idea is good too. I did think about it but wondered if they'd be to big (espes a necklace) and that would make them more expensive too. I think i'll try earrings first and then do some bracelets if they go ok.

I'm really rubbish with the logistics of this kind of thing!

I think the boxes are the best idea to stop damage, does anyone know of anywhere that sells them or what they might be called (i've looked on the lakeland site and they call them boxvelopes - about 30p each)?

Also, does anyone know of a good (cheap) supplier for the bits and bobs to make the cards?

Thanks again,
                Laura
                Last edited by BeyondBeads; 10-05-2007, 10:59 AM.
                Beyond Beads

[email protected]

www.beyondbeads.co.uk

Comment

You could invest in a box maker (which is really just a wooden/plastic board with grooves in) and make your own boxes, it's a cheap way of making the boxes..you can make them whatever shape and depth that you need and also you can use whatever card that you like. They are easy to do..if I can do it anyone can!!
                  Hope thats a helpful idea.
                  Anice xx
                  Funkyhand x
                  my website
                  http://www.funkyhand.com
                  my blog (updated 09/06/10)
                  http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
                  Follow me on Twitter
                  http://twitter.com/funkyhand

Comment

Originally posted by Funkyhand View Post
                    You could invest in a box maker (which is really just a wooden/plastic board with grooves in) and make your own boxes, it's a cheap way of making the boxes..you can make them whatever shape and depth that you need and also you can use whatever card that you like. They are easy to do..if I can do it anyone can!!
                    Hope thats a helpful idea.
                    Anice xx
                    Brilliant! How much do these cost (and where from) and how do you do it? I think i'll give a few a go first and then if they sell well I may have to invest in one of these contraptions.

Thanks
                    Beyond Beads

[email protected]

www.beyondbeads.co.uk

Comment

Well i've placed an order!

I found some boxes for about 20p each so that's not too bad. Do you think i need the little poly bags as well?

I also ordered some pre cut shapes etc (I know this must be the expensive way of doing it but i didn't know any other way!). Couldn't find the large 'ladies head' silouhette (Sp?!!) type thing i was looking for though (Any ideas?!). But i did get pictures of shoes and handbags etc so i can hopefully do something with those.

I'll have a play when they arrive and see what i can do. In the mean time if anyone has any ideas......................

Thanks,
                      Laura
                      Beyond Beads

[email protected]

www.beyondbeads.co.uk

Comment

Have you thought about buying stamps to get the effect your after. I will have a look through all my catalouges later to see if theres something there that will work for you.
                        Emma
                        Luxury craft supplies & magnolia Stamps - Sassy Crafts
                        Sassy Crafts Blog
                        My Blog

Comment

That would be brilliant. And far more efficient! Let me know if you find anything suitable!

Thanks very much,
                          Laura
                          Beyond Beads

[email protected]

www.beyondbeads.co.uk

Comment

Will do. Didn't get much of a chance last night but i'll have a look today.
                            Emma
                            Luxury craft supplies & magnolia Stamps - Sassy Crafts
                            Sassy Crafts Blog
                            My Blog

Comment

Working...
                            X