Your Definition of "Card Making" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Definition of "Card Making" ?

I wanted to ask everyones view on what they consider "card making". I have often seen comments thrown around on the web that"sticking things on a card" is not card making.

My personal view is that if someone wants to buy a pre-made card topper and stick it in the center of a pre-scored card then to me it is still home made and they have still "made a card" and if that's what they enjoy then they should be allowed to get on with it without critisism.

I had the same from for dearly beloved OH last night when i found the most gorgeous digital stamp which i downloaded and printed out. He very sternly told me that it looked like something out of a childrens colouring book and "sitting there colouring that in and sticking it to a card is hardly card making" (for someone who doesn't craft he is very opinionated on the subject!!! he he he!) To his credit, once i had finnished very carefully "colouring it in" with my watercolor pencils he complimented me with an "oh wow, now i see!" To be honest, that's what makes me happiest and what i enjoy doing more than any other technique.

I know there are many more complicated or time consuming techniques such as quilling and parchment craft etc but surely cardmaking is all about taking the time to think up the design, buy all the ingredients (whatever they may be) and put it together to create a personal and unique creation that the maker has enjoyed doing?

I would be interested to hear other peoples opinions!

Jo
    www.alongcamejo.squarespace.com

I agree with you on this one, card-making is all about personal taste and the fact that you have taken the time to make something special, even if it was only sticking on a pre-made topper, is what is important. Even that can be creative anyway - where you stick it, which way up you have the card, which colour card for the topper, it is all a design process.

I do think people who "make" do appreciate handmade things more than people who dont though! They know what it involves!

Comment

I much prefer to use handmade items whenever possible and I have seen very bad versions of handmade cards and very, very good ones such as those I bought from forum members here. Most handmade things are really down to personal taste so whos to say whats good or bad I gave up a long time ago!
      Karen
      www.angelicfolk.co.uk
      Bespoke clothing for your little angels
      http://angelicfolk.etsy.com
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/angelic.folk?ref=profile

Comment

I am also with you on the subject. I started making cards using pre-made toppers.
        I do all-sorts now. I have a Pazzles machine to do all my cutting for me.
        I use a computer and printer to print my sentiments onto card stock.

As long as the design of the card is yours, it doesn't matter how you made the card. It is the time and the effort that counts.
        Regards Sue
        www.thepinkshopblog.com

Comment

I agree with you on this as well. It's the result of what you as a crafter do with the component parts that count otherwise where do you draw the line. Cutting and folding the card yourself, or chopping down a tree (which of course you've grown from seed) and going through the cardboard production process yourself (or maybe setting up your own re-cycling plant to recycle the cardboard).

It's no different from a handmade jeweller going to a craft shop and buying some beads in my opinion, nothing wrong in that and nor should there be.
          David & Catherine

Comment

I personally don't think card making is a 'craft' as such, its just cutting and sticking at the end of the day with no craft skills needed really. I'm not saying I'm DISLIKE cardmaking as a hobby but describing it as a craft isnt something i would do.
            I think I'm biased though as since I started a 3D design; Crafts course at uni it annoys me when people think the course is cardmaking or paper crafts... its alot more than that and I know almost everyone on the course gets irritated at cardmaking and scrapbooking being associated with the stuff we do!
            http://www.terrilowedesign.co.uk
            http://www.twitter.com/Hello_TerriLowe
            http://territriestwice.blogspot.com/
            email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by mayshandmade View Post

It's no different from a handmade jeweller going to a craft shop and buying some beads in my opinion, nothing wrong in that and nor should there be.
              I also don't think sticking beeds together on a necklace is a craft... or putting premade pendants/beads on stuff, its just putting pieces together not crafting an item. When I do things like that I class them as handmade, but not as handmade craft.

Comment

I had a handmade dilemma about a possible future project.I wasnt sure if it could be classed as hand made.I have since realised that I didnt make the beads I make my jewellery from but I do consider them to be hand made, so my future project can be justified in the same way.

And yes I think putting a pre made topper onto a pre cut card is classed as handmade, its certainly not mass produced.
                https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by TerriWoah View Post
                  I personally don't think card making is a 'craft' as such, its just cutting and sticking at the end of the day with no craft skills needed really. I'm not saying I'm DISLIKE cardmaking as a hobby but describing it as a craft isnt something i would do.
                  I think I'm biased though as since I started a 3D design; Crafts course at uni it annoys me when people think the course is cardmaking or paper crafts... its alot more than that and I know almost everyone on the course gets irritated at cardmaking and scrapbooking being associated with the stuff we do!
                  If you are comparing it the the likes of wood carving or sculpting then i would agree with you that it isn't craft in that sense. However, i think there is an art to card making...it is true that anyone can do it, which in a sense is the beauty of it, but not everybody can do it well and doing it well can take a lot of practice!! When i see some cards people make i know i am not even half way there yet! I think the same goes for jewellery making, it takes a certain type of person and a lot of patience and creativity to do it well!
                  www.alongcamejo.squarespace.com

Comment

In my opinion, no matter what techniques or materials are used then as long as the crafter puts those ideas together to create the end product then I would consider it as handmade.

All crafters use different materials, techniques and 'ingredients' and each of us use our own imagination, creativity and ideas to put these different aspects together in order to achieve a result we are happy with.

Regardless of what we start with, if we are using those materials in any way, whether it be to colour, decoupage, quill, diecut or whatever other technique is chosen then I would say that the end result has been handmade... even if the individual components were machine made the end product isn't.

Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by TerriWoah View Post
                      Right - that's us card makers told!! A little harsh there I think. There are so many different types of cards and some are much more skilled in the making than others -but there is a design element in them all - even if it is a question of "sticking things on" two people will take the same elements and make completely different cards. I agree there are much more skilled crafts, but my limit is my card making and I am happy to say it is my craft.
                      Cynthia
                      http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Ifor-Jones View Post
                        Right - that's us card makers told!! A little harsh there I think. There are so many different types of cards and some are much more skilled in the making than others -but there is a design element in them all - even if it is a question of "sticking things on" two people will take the same elements and make completely different cards. I agree there are much more skilled crafts, but my limit is my card making and I am happy to say it is my craft.
                        Oh I didnt mean to sound mean harsh! I think alot of typed things can sound completely different to how things are thought or said aloud!
                        Maybe we could settle at cardmakers being 'designers of handmade goodness'

although if we look at dictionary.com's definition of craft:

–noun 1.an art, trade, or occupation requiring special skill, esp. manual skill: the craft of a mason. 2.skill; dexterity: The silversmith worked with great craft. 3.skill or ability used for bad purposes; cunning; deceit; guile.4.the members of a trade or profession collectively; a guild.5.a ship or other vessel.6.a number of ships or other vessels taken as a whole: The craft were warned of possible heavy squalls. 7.aircraft collectively.8.a single aircraft.
                        –verb (used with object) 9.to make or manufacture (an object, objects, product, etc.) with skill and careful attention to detail.

then number 9 would be suitable to describe cardmarkers!

Comment

There's a difference between the cardmaker who buys card blanks, toppers, peeloffs, diecuts and embellishments and one who buys card blanks, sheets of card/paper, stamps (to fill in or emboss etc.) and so on to the one who makes the paper and card then decorates completely by hand.

All are employing a degree of design skill and a varying degree of creative manual skill.

Where the demarcation line between assembler and creative craftsperson is drawn is open to debate and personal opinion.
                          ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                          website
                          blog

Comment

I don't make cards, only if I am really forced to and they look homemade too. I have had several cards made by forum members and have never been disapointed yet. In fact, the opposite. I imagine you have to have a very good "eye" and a steady hand combined with a lot of imagination. Now, if that is not a craft I don't know what is. It could be said that I just sew bits of material together on a sewing maching, anyone with a machine could do the same. And so they could.
                            Carol
                            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I make some cards with prebought toppers - photographic images and drawn images for childrens cards for example - and precut alphabets. I also have a big shot and a slice and cut my own shapes and alphabets. I try to get a professional image whichever type of materials I use and hope that it comes across in the end product.
                              Some of us are blessed with great skill in life to be able to draw/paint fantastic images or carve/sculpt models and some of us (for example me!!) would love to have that skill but are not blessed in the same way. Thats why I love card making and scrapbooking. I can express myself and end up with a pretty good end product that I am proud of even though I was certainly not the best in my art class at school!
                              Everyone's interpretation of such things will be different. To me card making is anything that results in a card from my childrens scribble on a page given to me on mothers day (the best cards) to a fantastic hand painted silk image mounted on several mats with foiled writing...its all down to personal taste and the level of craft should not be judged by others!
                              As long as people are liking what I am doing (and I am selling cards so someone must be) I am enjoying it, and producing professional results, I am really not that bothered what level of crafting I am deemed to have achieved.
                              Whatever handmade items you make its the fact that its handmade that so special and not which materials you started with in my humble opinion.
                              www.safimelcardsandpendants.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X