What gsm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gsm?

I am making some photocards for a stall at a local event and wondered what gsm is sensible for cards. Can anyone offer me some guidance?
    Also, does anyone know if the Scor-Pal really gives a neat, accurate score presentable enough for cards to sell (as opposed to cards for personal use). I am making 300 cards so am trying to decide whether to buy scored card or unscored. I obviously want to keep my unit costs as low as poss. Thanks for listening!

Depends really how much you intend to put on the card? I don't use any less than 250 gsm for mine
    Tina xx
    http://www.forevermemoriesforyou.co.uk/Shop/
    Craft Robo Design templates Designed By Me

Forever-Memories-For-You Blog

CRAFT ROBO TEMPLATES CARD

Comment

hiya
      i always use 250 gsm or over
      depends how much work you is putting on the card when doing decoupage some times i need to use over 250 because of the weight of the decoupage.
      hope this helps
      sue

Comment

Originally posted by jessw View Post
        Also, does anyone know if the Scor-Pal really gives a neat, accurate score presentable enough for cards to sell (as opposed to cards for personal use). I am making 300 cards so am trying to decide whether to buy scored card or unscored. I obviously want to keep my unit costs as low as poss.
        I don't know what the Scor-Pal is, but I use an old knitting needle to score my cards!

Emma.
        Paperbuzz
        Adding a little magic to your celebrations

www.noths.com/paperbuzz

Comment

I like to use at least 250gsm too. Whilst prescored cards would be easier as you're making so many, I find a score board gives a lovely crisp fold, especially if you use a bone folder. I use the Crafters Companion purple one but I didn't like the tool that came with it at all. Also once you have the board, one off payment, you can then splash out a bit on the quality of your card and buy in bulk, a4 size or bigger at a cheaper price I was just thinking, you say you're making photo cards...does that mean you'll need to make them tri-fold to slot the photo in? If so, then the scoreboard also has lines to fold different types of card, ie, gatefold, concertina, half a4/a5, TRI-fold etc...and there's a booklet that comes with it that's useful too. I've not heard of a Scor-Pal either. Ps, I tried a wooden one and after a few go's and the sharpness of the bottom of the routered out line I've put it away ready to chuck! Not nice at all, ripped through every card I tried! Maybe some people have had better luck than me Good luck with finding what you want and hopefully you can post a picture of what you've made in the near future? thanks
          Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Emma, do you use a board of any kind or do you score just using the knitting needle on a spongey surface? And the obvious question...what size do you use , only joking, heheh, mind you I suppose that would make a difference...wouldn't it? I've just enjoyed having another look at your homepage too
            Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Just a photo

Originally posted by silverst170 View Post
              Depends really how much you intend to put on the card? I don't use any less than 250 gsm for mine

Hi Tina
              I'm only going to put a photograph on the cards so it sounds like 250gsm might do it for me. Many thanks, that's really helpful!
              Jess

Comment

Thanks Sue

Originally posted by rosebud66 View Post
                hiya
                i always use 250 gsm or over
                depends how much work you is putting on the card when doing decoupage some times i need to use over 250 because of the weight of the decoupage.
                hope this helps
                sue
                Hi Sue
                Thanks for the advice, I am but a novice and need all the help I can get!!
                Jess

Comment

Scor-Pal

Originally posted by KullakitaCards View Post
                  I don't know what the Scor-Pal is, but I use an old knitting needle to score my cards!

Emma.
                  Hi Emma
                  I've never seen a Scor-Pal in the flesh but it looks to be a neat way of scoring. To date I have used various objects successfully but the thought of measuring/scoring 300 cards is giving me nightmares so looking for labour-saving measures! Sounds like you have a knack and a steady hand!
                  Jess

Comment

When I'm just folding A5 in half then I don't bother scoring them - I just fold them and then smooth over the fold with a bone folder tool. (Have also done it with the back of a spoon and it works just as well!) When I'm making my cubes, pyramids, etc, then I do have to score every line - takes a while, but definitely worth it!
                    Paperbuzz

www.noths.com/paperbuzz

Comment

Originally posted by nettie View Post
                      Emma, do you use a board of any kind or do you score just using the knitting needle on a spongey surface?
                      Nope, I sit on the sofa with a hard back book on my lap and score away watching the TV!

(And the needle size... 2 and a quarter mm!)

Emma.
                      Paperbuzz

www.noths.com/paperbuzz

Comment

Thanks Nettie

Originally posted by nettie View Post
                        I use the Crafters Companion purple one but I didn't like the tool that came with it at all. Also once you have the board, one off payment, you can then splash out a bit on the quality of your card and buy in bulk, a4 size or bigger at a cheaper price
                        Thanks for the pointer Nettie, I think I might give that one a go, esp as at £12.99 it is £20 cheaper than the Scor-Pal! When you say you didn't like the tool, which tool do you find works for you?

I'm making basic A5 cards with the photo mounted on the front so no need for tri-folding.

Not sure I'll have the guts to post my creations, I don't think they'll win any design awards!! Any advice on how to make them a bit special??

Jess

Comment

If I am lining a card, I can get away with 200 but yes, like the others, most card I buy is 250
                          http://koolcraftsandarts.blogspot.com
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/koolcrafts

Comment

New crafter

Hi,
                            I usually use250gsm or more i only put a photograph on the cards.so i think it depends on howmuch cards you want to put on the cards and when you know that it will be easy to determine the kind of gsm to use.
                            I can't tell u anything on score-pals since i don't use it.
                            crafts techniques

Comment

Hi Jess, the Purple one Nettie was referring to is around £7.99 if you shop carefully, I know 3 people who have one and love it, though they all bought fiskars and Xcut scoring tools to use - they are a bit like a magnum lolly stick, but with a thicker edge and a thinner edge..!

The cards I make are generally based around a photograph (I use photoshop to modify the images, add text and the like). I get the pictures printed at Max Spielmann (also trade as Klick) - they have a website as well as shops, and are part of a chain, so there should be one nearish you. They do a volume deal, so printing 25 or more identical pictures is much cheaper - as low as 4p each.

My cards tend to be A5 (for 7 x 5 prints) or A6 (6 x 4), if using A5 size, definitely go for the heavier weight card, but if you are doing A6, you will easily get away with something around 180gsm.. if not lighter.. I used 140 a couple of times because it was the heaviest I could find in a particular colour.

NB, If you make the cards book style.. i.e. opening like a book, you can get away with thinner card, a pyramid style one will buckle and bend far easier, so opt for heavy card!!

If you want to enhance the look of your finished card, try experimenting with a piece of contrast card or paper cut slightly larger than your photo and placed behind, it can help give a "finished" look and also make the image stand out better...

Another option is to use a dry emboss technique to create a raised border around the photo. You will need a decent stencil and embossing tool, and ideally a light box, though you can manage with a lamp under a reasonable glass table, or as a last resort against a window!

If you want to add a bit of dimension to your cards, try using sticky foam pads - they come in various sizes, and thicknesses, and they will make your photo appear to hover a few mm above the card surface.
                              Last edited by sparkysdad; 14-05-2009, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X