Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Card making on a budget advice

Hello everyone,

After seeing all your beautiful card creations, I'd really like to try card making myself. When I read the forums I see a lot of accessories mentioned, and I wanted to ask are these luxuries or essentials?

I am on a very tight budget at the moment because I'm sinking all my money into my clay miniatures but i desperately want to try card making. So, what I'd like to know is what are the essentials? What are the most valuable tools you have? So I can put together a kind of starter budget pack for myself.

Also where are the best online places for these?

If it helps, I love stamped cards because I love watercolours and really like the coloured in stamp effect. I like paper cut outs, masking, 3D effects with paper and cards with decorations stuck onto them (ribbons, bows, origami, etc..).

Thanks for your help!
    Some of my creations:
    http://learningspirit.co.uk

Good scissors, a small and a large pair for preference, some adhesives - pritt type sticks can be ok for attaching small pieces of card or paper, but for larger pieces or heavy card or textured papers etc, a glue runner is a good option, as it is easy to use! PVA or Silicone glue are better for fixing bulkier items, and silicone glue can be used to create raised layers adding depth and texture to a card.

If you like the coloured in and watercolour type finishes on stamped images, some watercolour pencils are great (and cheap!) - a paintbrush dipped in water allows you to create colourwashes with them easily.

I would possibly opt for a water brush too - they are a couple of pounds usually, it has a brush tip, and a reservoir for water, so saves having water in pots and jars when you are card making (less risk of spills and accidents!)..

If stamping is your thing, the clear stamps are cheaper to buy, so if you have a limited budget, you can get more for your money, but something like the See D's "Morsels" packs (£7 approx) are also good - you get around 20 - 30 micro stamps in a pack.. they are all "themed" so they combine well to create a bigger image, a border, or just for adding accents to a project - I have a set that has a mix of flowers leaves, ribbons and hearts for example, which covers a multitude of themes...

Again, for a beginner I would suggest one of the multi pack ink pad sets - I tend to buy the Colourbox Q cats eye ones, you get 6 pads in a colour family - so pinks, blues, greens, or they may be themed Autum colours, spring colours.. and so on. I pay about £5 for a set, and although the pads are smaller, when you are experimenting, better to get 6 for a fiver than 2!.. if you find you like some more than others, then you can invest in a bigger pad of that shade, which will last far longer...

My other 2 "must haves" are Mirror card (I find Silver is multi purpose..) which I use to mat and layer my items,, and brads.. (decorative paper fasteners)

For cheap supplies I would try places like ebay for second hand equipment, often you see people selling off a job lot of things they no longer use.. just watch out for high postage charges!!

For embellishments, dont forget that "craft" supplies sometimes have a premium on them, you can often get just as good results experimenting with things you find around your home - a few odd buttons, beads, bits of wire, I have even used some metal discs that came with our kitchen drawer handles!!

Remember also that permanent inks will add colour to most items, and a bit of fine sand paper can be used to distress items and create an aged look!

£20 should see you set up with more than enough to play with for hours!!

Comment

http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17188

And as your prayers were answered... Leighton buzzard might be a bit of a trip. but it's not "that" far from London!!

Comment

Originally posted by sparkysdad View Post
        http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17188

And as your prayers were answered... Leighton buzzard might be a bit of a trip. but it's not "that" far from London!!
        Except that post is over 6 months old so I'd imagine the stash is long gone
        Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
          Except that post is over 6 months old so I'd imagine the stash is long gone
          Yes but like the 37 bus.. none for ages then there will probably be three at once

Comment

Thanks so much sparkysdad! That was exactly the information I needed.

I never knew about clear stamps, they are a lot cheaper and I'm going to invest in a few. They'll be great for my clay work too I think.

I'm having problems finding the Colourbox Q but I found something similar and it's definitely a bargain for experimenting.

I'm not sure what you use the mirror cards and brads for.. I'll keep looking around but I think the others stuff will definitely get me started for the kinda water coloured stamp cards I like.

Thanks so much!
            Some of my creations:

Comment

Great reply for you from sparkysdad, just wanted to add that if you are planning to watercolour your stamped images then you will need to use a permanent ink or the ink will run when you start colouring it in. There are lots of different ones - stazon is one of them but not everyone likes it.

Another idea for you - there are usually quite a few people on ebay selling ready-stamped images, so you can just get on with the fun part of colouring them in. It saves you buying loads of expensive stamps that you might not use more than a few times. Try searching for "stamped images" or similiar.

Comment

If you're going to be colouring your stamped images with watercolours you need to make sure the ink you use to stamp with is waterproof otherwise it'll all blend into a grey sludgy mess.

Beware though, making cards is addictive and you run the risk of having to choose between making your models or doing housework with the rest of your time
                Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

good luck in your hunt, hope all your buses come @ once
                  for all your paper & card needs visit www.ideasinpaper.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                    If you're going to be colouring your stamped images with watercolours you need to make sure the ink you use to stamp with is waterproof otherwise it'll all blend into a grey sludgy mess.

Beware though, making cards is addictive and you run the risk of having to choose between making your models or doing housework with the rest of your time
                    and looking at the state of my "dining room" I know which category I fall into!!
                    Cynthia
                    http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by nuky1982 View Post
                      Thanks so much sparkysdad! That was exactly the information I needed.

I'm not sure what you use the mirror cards and brads for..

Thanks so much!
                      cut a piece of mirror card slightly larger than the design you are attaching to your card, then attach the design to the mirror card.. you end up with a stack with a silver "frame" around your design, and a bit of light reflecting can make your design look even better..

Brads come in all sorts of colours and sizes (and can be tinted and coloured with permanent ink stamp pads) you use them as decoration, or for attaching things to your cards, and they also allow for movement if you secure something in just one place.. try stamping a design on a small piece of card in a contrast colour, and then use a brad to "pin" it to the main card, it will swing like a small tag adding interest to a simple design.

Comment

You can also make your own stamps with crafting foam for cheapness.

If you have some punches, or a design from a magazine - draw around it on some crafting foam and prit stick that to a plastic bottle top.

I have put a small version on my blog here but I have made many more since then - see link directly below

http://koolcraftsandarts.blogspot.co...mps.html#links
                        http://koolcraftsandarts.blogspot.com
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/koolcrafts

Comment

I love the foam idea and I think they're great for creating nice printed backgrounds, like you have done in the link you posted. I must try that out.

I also looked for some ready stamped images on ebay and I 've messaged a few of the sellers to ask if they are using permanent ink because most of them didn't say in the ad. Fingers crossed they are, and I can get started very soon!!

I like the silver paper tip. But I love the idea about brads. I love moving cards and think they make a lovely change so i will definitely be giving that a go as well.

I can see how this can become addictive!!
                          Some of my creations:

Comment

For cheap ribbons my local Hobby Craft were selling off bags off mixed "odds" which seemed really good value.

You can make your own backing papers free here http://www.freecraftdownloads.co.uk/makeyourown.php and if you look round on that site you will find lots of free decoupage, backing papers etc already made.

There is probably little need to spend money on designs / backing papers / decoupage or such stuff now-a-days as there is so much available free on the Internet... try the paper crafts section on http://www.freecraftstuff.co.uk

I get my envelopes and cards from www.ideal-envelopes.co.uk, they are the suppliers of a lot of the online shops and I find it better / cheaper to buy direct.

I don't do much stamping but I did get a few good bargains from a couple of online shops which were closing down.
                            Craftville: Free Craft Downloads
                            No Membership just visit & Browse
                            Craftville.com

Comment

Working...
                            X