Far too early (or late!) for Xmas - my cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Far too early (or late!) for Xmas - my cards

I kind of make my card for Christmas and then send them out to close friends and family, I dont make to sell, so I dont have to be commercial in my approach, and my family understand (if failing to appreciate always..!) my at times quirky humour..

As other folk post their cards and stuff here, and I really enjoy seeing what other people make, I thought I would give it a go too - though sitting here writing this I'm beginning to feel like the naked person in a room full of strangers!! (no peeking, it's not pretty!)

I don't have photos of the finished cards, but I do use tweaked or wildly modified photo images to create them, for the most part the finished image is then printed out at a photo processing shop, and I use foam pads to fasten it on to plain white card, but I am sure you can imagine what a plain white A5 or A6 card looks like!

The one exception was the fireplace card, which I meticulously cut out piece by piece (NEVER again!) and decoupaged as a 4 layer design on to a dark green mat.. far too fiddly for my pudgy fingers!

hope you enjoy looking! in approximate date order, from 2004 when we first got Sparky the Dog from Manchester Dogs Home..

2007 (This one also had some irridescent glitter glue highlights to add a bit of sparkle to the wings)

This last one was for my O/h's brother, The original pic was of their Aunts and Uncles taken in the 1930's.. Although he chose a simpler finish, this was the version I liked best, posterising the image has slightly depersonalised the photo, and yet I think it still looks like a portrait of "real" people..

Howards Card Design

These are fantastic!

Sparkys beautiful, Cant wait to see more

I have to keep having another look at the 30's card, its amazing!
    Last edited by autumn rose; 17-03-2009, 04:55 PM.
    Sarah

Comment

Thanks for that, I have just compared the original, thats amazing, I couldnt see any more in the folder that was already shown in the post other than that though... if you have any more I would love to see them.
      Sarah

Comment

Hi Sarah, that photobucket folder just has those photos in, I dont have a prolific output!! after making fifty cards I need a lie down for 4 months!

I am no great technical wizard, and I am learning photoshop (the software I use) skills bit by bit based on what I need for a design idea, so the most recent card was started in early September, and worked on on and off right up to 22nd Dec when I posted the last card out.. Until I get to grips with the various techniques there can be a lot of trial and error.. though the decoupage element was the most burdensome part, 200 fiddly cut outs, and all those wriggly 3mm foam blocks!

I am also a time rich/cash poor crafter! so I tend to make do with what I have - for example a drawing tablet for the computer would make detail work in photoshop miles easier, but it is a non essential "luxury" at £50+ so I make do with a mouse which is less accurate... so once I have something like the image of sparky sitting and looking to one side, I save it and re use it in different images!

Comment

I love photoshop too, I didnt pay a great deal for my tablet, I think I paid about 14.99 for it from Currys, all I have is an A5 one, it does what I need it to do though.

I love the black & white images with just a splash of colour ( red for instance in your 30's pic) I changed a bright colour boquet into black & white and then just changed one rose into red, that looked quite effective.

Trouble is when I get into photoshop Im amazed by all the effects I never get anything else done for hours
          Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by autumn rose View Post
            Trouble is when I get into photoshop Im amazed by all the effects I never get anything else done for hours

or dithering about which one is "best" for hours on end....

Comment

Fantastic cards sparkysdad!

I used to be a photoshop fan too, but I lost the disc with it on and then got a new computer, so now I have to make do with paint shop pro, the poor man's alternative!

Comment

Great cards, had a good giggle
                Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Brilliant cards!!!

I love the altered images which can be created with images such as photoshop but I'm not technical enough to understand these programmes, I especially love the black and white or sepia images with just a splash of colour

Comment

thankyou claireybear netty and fluffy squirrel, glad you liked them

Comment

Originally posted by Fluffy Squirrel View Post
                      Brilliant cards!!!

I love the altered images which can be created with images such as photoshop but I'm not technical enough to understand these programmes, I especially love the black and white or sepia images with just a splash of colour
                      Actually, the early card images were incredibly simplistic, usually just deleting a background, and adding a new one, and maybe some clip art off the web.. though I admit it took rather more than a couple of minutes to work out how to do that..

The later ones were slightly more involved, and although I achieved the effect I wanted, I have just discovered how to do it better and faster,, mostly thanks to an incredible book I borrowed from the library (and now loathe to return!)

The Book is Surreal Digital Photography by Barry Huggins and Ian Probert - it has some incredible design ideas in it, and it shows you step by step how to achieve each one. Suddenly the "logic" all clicked in to place and I have spent 2 days practising and quite amazed myself just what can be done even by numpties like me!

Comment

Looks like this numpty is down the library tomorrow then! Thanks for the tip
                        Sarah

Comment

fantastic cards, made me smile

Comment

Working...
                          X