Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG - What the brass cheek of some people

Is it me I like you opinion.......

I did a craft fair before Christmas and there was a couple of ladies also selling handmade cards.

They made me feel very uncomfortable giving me daggers across the room and over heard them complaining that I was there. The final staw was when they saw a was selling cards they slashed their prices.

Turns out they were scanning the orginal decopuage sheet numerous times and making cards out the scanned images.

I dont see craft fairs as competion the organiser had said there can be up to 3 of the same type of crafter in the t&c.

End of the day customers either like your cards or they dont, & you can give two people the same materials & they come up with 2 completly different cards.

A couple of people have noticed this at other fairs they did and they want to report her to the orgainser, and asked me if i agree.

I dont know what to do? Will I be seen as bitter, a trouble maker. But their attitude did knock my confidence and not enjoy the fair as much as I normally do.

Sorry if ive gone on

Sara x
    www.cardsforewe.co.uk

Hi Sara, I am sure that the cards they were selling were of poor quality and the fact yours are much better, means they feel threatened!

As long as you are selling yours and are happy with your own work, these silly women are not worth worrying about and if you come across them again, I would be overly nice and smile at them as this will pee them off!!!

If they are downright rude then report them for that!!
    Rach

Facebook
    Website
    Blog
    Folksy

Comment

Turns out they were scanning the orginal decopuage sheet numerous times and making cards out the scanned images.

I dont think there allowed to do that im sure there is something about copy right law and doing this sort of thing so yes i would report them

I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It

Comment

Hi Sara

It seems to me they were obviously jealous of your designs and that's why they were glaring at you.

Like you, I don't really see other card sellers, at fayres, as competition as such in that (as you say) customers are looking for different things so they either like what you do or they don't and it does sound as if customers obviously like your designs.

We both know that what they're doing with the sheets is illegal but it's upto you what you do with that information. I would say, however, that if the fayre organiser is aware of this and does nothing about it then they are condoning their actions and could find themselves in trouble if the cards found their way into the right hands IYKWIM.

I can't see them getting much (if any) repeat business using these sort of substandard images and in the long run, your cards will speak for themselves with their superior quality

Comment

I agree with you Sarah! If a customer likes your cards then you are not stealing anyone elses sales. Different people like different designs don't they? A similar thing happened to me at a craft fair. Two women not far away from me were selling other things besides cards. They didn't seem to have many but when I set mine up they seemed beside themselves and cos I had some on stands it appeared that they sent one of their hubbies out to buy some and then rearranged all the stall to make the cards a priority!!!!!! Some people are so sad, they were glaring at me as if I had no right to be there!! Not that I would report anyone because I am not brave enough but if someone else notices and reports themthen it's fair play!!!!! As for scanning the decoupage - well- I hope they get found out!!! It isn't fair to the rest of us who are honest. Sue xx
          http://susieQinblogland.blogspot.com

Comment

Don't worry the fair just isn't one that suits you..

Strick it off the list..

Try out a few.. If your lucky over a year your be able to find a few that suit what you sell and have customers that are looking for what your selling...

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
            (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

It makes me sad to know this goes on, especially when you work so hard to fill a stall in the first place, and even though we thouroughly enjoy what we do, we do put an awful lot of hours of hard work in.

I always enjoy the atmosphere of fairs, I have come across hostility in the past when selling but not at an actual fair, I just stood and smiled ... eventually the person warmed to me.

It does us good to remember that competition is healthy and there are enough customers to go around.

Dont let it put you off, as Im sure you are aware most crafters are helpful, friendly and encouraging. ( and keen to learn from your work)

Good luck with everything.
              Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by 0103media View Post
                Don't worry the fair just isn't one that suits you..

Strick it off the list..

Try out a few.. If your lucky over a year your be able to find a few that suit what you sell and have customers that are looking for what your selling...

Ive done other fairs with the orgainser & they have been fine & enjoyed them. (but they not been there). Im not giving up yet & strick it off the list,as Ive made some good contacts and friends through them.

Also I was there before them too
                www.cardsforewe.co.uk

Comment

Have you ever noticed how (especially abroad!) coffee shops and the like are always in the same areas?? - logic says you would lose custom being near a competitor, but the reality is, the more huddled similar trades are, the better they all do..

There is no harm in having 3, 4 or more card outlets at a craft fair/market - obviously you need a broad spread of others, but the fair gets a reputation for being good for handmade cards, and thus gradually more people come to buy them..

Sadly, the ladies you speak of may be infringing copyright, and producing low quality cards.. and you can't stop people buying stuff (you only have to look at some of the rubbish "respectable" retailers sell to see that!).

All I can suggest is that you make your feelings known to the organiser - they will hopefully not want to lose good and genuine customers. I would keep your comments to your experience, and only make direct accusations (such as breach of copyright) that you can substantiate. Then let the matter run it's course.

At the end of the day, if the Craft Fair visitors do not buy your products, it is not the right outlet for your work, do not get in to a price war, and resist the temptation to get mad/back/even!! 99 times out of 100 you will win out in the end..

Comment

Sorry to hear about your encounter with the grumpy folks...
                    Keep your chin up and keep seeling your superior wares.
                    Good Karma will out!

Nic xx
                    **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
                    Different prize every month
                    Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
                    PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

Sad isn't it? We crafters should stick together. I always find that as well as the card stalls other people have cards for sale - artists have made prints of their work into cards, photographers also have a few prints as cards, textile workers have made some cards using textiles - etc etc - but each person going round will love some designs and not others. I have been very fortunate that the other card sellers I have been with have all been friendly and we have discussed different techniques, I even sent one customer over to a "competitor" as he wanted two cards personalised and I did not have the equipment with me, okay I lost a sale, but he was a happy chappie and the other lady made a sale. As for the copying of the sheets they are obviously in the wrong, but I would personally not get involved unless I was the organiser and was aware of it.
                      Cynthia
                      http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

I did a craft fair last February and my heart sank when I realised I was placed next to another card maker (I sell my toppers, die cuts and cards) which is all she sold.

But I couldn't have been more happier - she was lovely, gave me some of her dies she didn't want any more and we both sold well despite being right next to each other! A lot of people bought off both of us as we had different styles and a different range of occassions.

So it can work, but if the other sellers are nasty, well, I think it will show to the customers!

Comment

Originally posted by Tip Top View Post
                          I did a craft fair last February and my heart sank when I realised I was placed next to another card maker (I sell my toppers, die cuts and cards) which is all she sold.

But I couldn't have been more happier - she was lovely, gave me some of her dies she didn't want any more and we both sold well despite being right next to each other! A lot of people bought off both of us as we had different styles and a different range of occassions.

So it can work, but if the other sellers are nasty, well, I think it will show to the customers!

I agree Tip Top

Ive done fairs in past & they worked well.

Ive even had card makers looking at my cards & heard they say wonder were I can get that. Ive sent them to the card supplies stall telling them they sell pieces you need. As one of us may aswell get a sale.

We both happy then I get compliments from fellow card makers which really gives me boast to confidence & craft supplies stall get a sale
                          www.cardsforewe.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X