Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marie Curie Cards? - am I a Grumpy old Man..?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marie Curie Cards? - am I a Grumpy old Man..?!?

I was in my local craft outlet over the weekend, "to look, but not to touch" as my partner says, and I saw a nice display promoting "Create a card for cancer care"..

I thought what a great idea, so I picked up a few of the bags you need (to send your cards off) and came home to set to work..

When I got back, I looked up the website to see if there was anything else I needed to do, and I saw the video, and discovered that the donated cards are sold for £1...

Which set me to thinking..

By the time I have paid postage to send off my card(s) with their envelopes and the cost of materials I will have spent close to £1 anyway, and it will have taken a reasonable amount of time.. You can't even take the cards to your local shop to save the postage cost..

Nice as the idea is, I can't help think that it is poorly thought out and not at all cost effective.. If I donated £1 instead of making a card for them to sell, they would be better off (especially claiming the donation as Gift Aid and reclaiming tax back too) - and indeed, I wouldn't be any more out of pocket ((

I used to be the Chief Executive of a charity in London, and we were always getting suggestions for schemes like these, and turning them down.. because I really think that a person's time and skill should be valued and appreciated.

If all they can do is sell our products for less than they cost, that's not very respectful..

Yes some folk need an excuse to make a few more cards, but if helping a great cause is what you want to do - send your £1 for the card you didn't make instead...

To put it in context, if you or a family member put in an hour of overtime, even after tax you would have mighty more than a quid to donate..

Whinge over.. I will go and sit in the grumpy corner now!!

I have to say I totally agree with you, does that make me a grumpy old lady now????? (would be fun seeing as I'm ONLY 41!)
    Diane
    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post
      I have to say I totally agree with you, does that make me a grumpy old lady now????? (would be fun seeing as I'm ONLY 41!)
      "Grumpy middle aged" perhaps, Im classing 47 as "old" in my own case!

Comment

I have read this post with interest and totally agree with every word of it... I have donated multiple cards to this scheme for the last couple of years without really thinking about it in the way you have, and to be honest after having thought about it now I would much rather just donate the extra money to Marie Curie - we already have a monthly direct debit with them, than to have our work devalued as it's bound to put people off buying at our proper prices on our sites

Comment

That is bad that they only sell them for £1, like Fluffy Squirrel I had never really thought about how much they sell them for afterwards. They dont put much value on the time you have spent making cards for them - and I have seen sets of stamps this year to make the cards with which cos far more than the price they are selling the cards at!

It has always seemed slightly stupid to me that the cards have to be yellow with daffodils - I know that is to raise awareness of the charity but there are only so many daffodil cards you could possibly want to buy and send, whereas if there were different cards each person might buy more! Maybe this is why they only charge £1 - to make sure they shift most of them?

I guess if you are already selling cards it would make more sense to have your own "charity range" at the prices you think they are worth, and then donate that money to the charity rather than letting them de-value your work!

Comment

Have to agree with you, so no, don't think you're grumpy at all. I'd rather donate the £1, than go to all that time, effort & expense to only have my card sold for £1, I think it does de-value the cards too, most people will pay more for handcrafted cards and more again if it's for charity, as long as it's still reasonable of course!
            "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
            Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
            Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Comment

Originally posted by claireybear View Post
              That is bad that they only sell them for £1, like Fluffy Squirrel I had never really thought about how much they sell them for afterwards. They dont put much value on the time you have spent making cards for them - and I have seen sets of stamps this year to make the cards with which cos far more than the price they are selling the cards at!

It has always seemed slightly stupid to me that the cards have to be yellow with daffodils - I know that is to raise awareness of the charity but there are only so many daffodil cards you could possibly want to buy and send, whereas if there were different cards each person might buy more! Maybe this is why they only charge £1 - to make sure they shift most of them?

I guess if you are already selling cards it would make more sense to have your own "charity range" at the prices you think they are worth, and then donate that money to the charity rather than letting them de-value your work!

This year you can make a card in any style/colours you like, the only restriction is that it is an A6 card, and Blank inside..

I saw the Stamp sets (by papermania) for sale at £4.99, hopefully some (significant!) part of that goes to Marie Curie..

My other thought was that even at £1, at least some of the cards probably remain unsold..

I am glad I am not alone in seeming uncharitable on this matter!

Comment

I understand the points raised but I think the important thing is that although the charity would do better if everyone who made a card instead sent them £1, in reality this isn't going to happen. For a start if the campaign wasn't on then no one would ever think of it! There are plenty of charitys that advertise for donations as small as £1...the card thing gives them a different way to make money and lots of crafty people probably already have materials to make cards without buying anything new but will still be getting £1 for the charity.

Comment

I agree with katie.
                  Would all these people think to donate £1 to charity in the first place?

And getting everybody involved in making something in which they enjoy doing is more exciting than just throwing a pound in a money box.
                  I look forward to doing this every year, and I get my little sister and her friends doing it as well.

It also means that I can use up any odds and ends to make cards that I normally would just throw in the bin, and I add all my old stock that I haven't managed to sell.

If you're making the cards to sell then somebody else who is paying their £1 is getting something back.

I wonder just how many of the cards bought are given as thank you cards to the marie curie nurses
                  MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

Very interesting thread. I can understand the 'is it worth it financially?' thought but its hard to knock a good cause (or intention in this case). It probably gives many people a sense of 'helping' out by making the cards, which in turn also increases awareness and maybe that is of real 'value' to the charity.
                    Mel

Comment

This is a difficult one, I have not seen this campaign, must be blinkered or maybe I don't go out much!

I like making and giving for charity etc but think what Marie Curie need to do, perhaps with the input from the card makers is to have collection points at the shops, that way more people may join in. Perhaps if the point of postage etc is raised they may be helpful and alter the rules.

Slightly different I got asked recently for a donation, fine never a problem but them got told it had to have a retail value of at least £50.00, now as I don't have a huge markup on things this is expensive also I don't have anything priced near the £50 mark let alone over. I declined as I felt the whole point of a donation was you gave what you could afford.

Does this make me a grumpy old woman?

Comment

Hi

I have had a rethink on this one.

You make a card out of leftovers - so no real cost - apart from time.

Make sure on the back of the card, or on a flyer in the cello bag, your cards and website are clearly visible.

Something like
                        "this card was donated to xxxx charity by www.xxxxcards.co.uk - please visit our website for details.

This way you are helping a charity and getting some advertising?

Could be a win win for all

Jane
                        www.just-soaps.com
                        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Oh Jane I like it.

Isnt there something on there about advertising your business not being allowed though?

Sara
                          www.cardsforewe.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by crafty sara View Post
                            Oh Jane I like it.

Isnt there something on there about advertising your business not being allowed though?

Sara
                            Just look at everybody's signature
                            www.just-soaps.com
                            Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                            Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Sorry Sara
                              I misread your post - I don't know the charity would have a problem with advertising - they do not seemed concerned if it is M&S or Tescopoly

Charities are businesses after all and understand the need for marketing.

Jane
                              www.just-soaps.com
                              Twitter JUSTSOAPS

Comment

Working...
                              X