Twenty Years and still making them!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twenty Years and still making them!

Anyone else been making cards as long as this!! I started making handmade cards as a business in 1988, and in 2009 it's still on the go, and hopefully will weather the credit crunch this year. People always need cards, right?
    I still love my job, but the hands are beginning to suffer!
    I'd love you to look at my website and/or blog - feedback would be great - You 'll find it on my profile page.
    Thanks!!!
    Marion
    Last edited by Marion Mitchell; 14-02-2009, 10:39 PM.
    Marion
    Embroidered Originals
    Here is my Blog
    Embroidered_Originals website
    Follow me on Twitter

I started making cards and gifts for friends and family when I was 16, so that is 35 years ago, it is addictive plus I think it shows you care by giving a handmade gift and /or card.

My first stab at a business was 1992, got too busy at my 'proper job', started again in 2003 and now do this full time.

Quit a shock when you posted that question as I had not really looked at how long I had been doing this for.

I think your site is lovely and your designs original, I am just getting back into the textile thing and using my training to good effect, love wall hangings and texture.

Comment

Hi Marion

Lovely to know you've been making your cards for 20 years. Just had a look at your blog, your textiles are gorgeous
      "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
      Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Comment

Thanks both for the nice comments. When you work pretty much in isolation ( out in the country) as I do, feedback - good and bad - is important, especially from people who do the same kind of work.
        Caroline, when you started making cards there wouldn't have been any craft materials to speak of in the market. You just had to do it all from scratch, but that was the fun, wasn't it, being creative I mean.
        Looking forward to more contact.
        Marion
        Marion
        Embroidered Originals
        Here is my Blog
        Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Your cards are beautiful and your embroidery is simply divine.
          I don't make cards but I have been making jewellery for 33 years. I stopped while the children were little apart from occasional presents but got back to it about 5 years ago.

Melanie

Comment

that's wonderful to hear you've been going for so long, congratulations! your cards look very sweet I especially love the Scottish messages like 'shoogle your sporran'! not entirely sure what shoogling is but it made me laugh! you're obviously doing something right to still be going, here's to another 20 years!!

C:-)x

Comment

good on ya, and yea everyone is always gunna need cards!
              Last edited by Warlax; 11-02-2009, 05:07 PM.
              Mod edit - please stick to urls only.

Comment

Wanted to add my 's to the forum.

Pauline
                Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

Originally posted by roobarb View Post
                  that's wonderful to hear you've been going for so long, congratulations! your cards look very sweet I especially love the Scottish messages like 'shoogle your sporran'! not entirely sure what shoogling is but it made me laugh! you're obviously doing something right to still be going, here's to another 20 years!!

C:-)x
                  Shoogle means just what you probably think - jiggle, wiggle whatever! Let's not go there, given that everyone knows that a true Scot doesn't wear anything under his kilt!!!
                  Marion
                  Embroidered Originals
                  Here is my Blog
                  Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Marion Mitchell View Post
                    Thanks both for the nice comments. When you work pretty much in isolation ( out in the country) as I do, feedback - good and bad - is important, especially from people who do the same kind of work.
                    Caroline, when you started making cards there wouldn't have been any craft materials to speak of in the market. You just had to do it all from scratch, but that was the fun, wasn't it, being creative I mean.
                    Looking forward to more contact.
                    Marion
                    Exactly grotty cartridge paper but it was more fun and in some ways more creative as you had to source very basic materials, the same for the sewing not the lovely array of fabrics now but I painted designs onto fabric more so you could say more original. The stitching was either basic straight or zig zag or hand embroidery.

Comment

Yes, the good old days, when nobody had heard of toppers, card stock, embellishments, Sizzix blah, blah ,blah. They don't know they're living nowadays! Did you have electricity, or did you just have candlelight to work by ( now that's going TOO far!)
                      Marion
                      Marion
                      Embroidered Originals
                      Here is my Blog
                      Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Well Marion, iv just had a look at your site. Really beautiful cards!!! I loved them so much, iv just bought a large anniversary card for my mum and dads ruby anniversary! So thanks !!! Im so glad you posted or i would never have found you!!

Jill
                        xxxx
                        Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

Hi Marion. I got my card through a couple of days ago and i have to say........its beautiful! Even nicer than the picture. I'll defo be back to you in future!

Thanks again!

Jill
                          xxx
                          Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

Have only been mosaicing for about 18 months but have been involved in crafts, alone nd with my parents for over 25 years now! ooohhh I feel old!
                            Diane
                            Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

awa tae dae the messages! I so wish my granny and mother were alive to send your cards to.. of course we would need to commission "haud yer wheesht!" as well..

Thank you for the giggle,, I am in awe of 1000 cards a week.. It takes me 3 months to get my head round 50 all the same for Christmas!!

I loved the textiles too - as someone who has only dabbled with the ancient singer (sewing machine, nae Moira Anderson!) for assembling stuff, and the odd pre printed half cross stitch kit I really admire and envy your ability to "see" a design and create something unique, sadly I am only a copier not a creator when it comes to design..

Comment

Working...
                              X