Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which way do you work?

Just an odd query really..

I tend to have an "idea" and then look for the things I would need to make it happen.. the problem is I can never find anything even remotely like my ideas!! or.. if I can, the cost is prohibitive..

Do you plan your designs and then shop for supplies? or do you buy stuff you like and see what you can make out of it??

It all depends really... if I have an order or need a card for a specific person or occasion then I will plan a rough idea of what I want to do and then source materials to suit, but on the whole I tend to buy the items I like and then see what I can make with them

Comment

I tend to buy stuff as I see it, then make something out of it. Saw some fabric this week with London cats and landmarks, so bought 2 lengths and will make into tote bags. I do sometimes buy specifically but like you always find the prices wrong at the time, so tend to buy, particularly if on offer etc then decide later have not had a problem to date with this way, except I have so much stuff!! and must really get making.

Comment

I always impulsively buy stuff I like then fiddle around with it all, putting different things together until inspiration strikes, then I make things out of it.
        Elinor
        x

My Misi page
        Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
          I always impulsively buy stuff I like then fiddle around with it all, putting different things together until inspiration strikes, then I make things out of it.
          That sounds just like how I work! I also have loads of unfinished cards where inspiration has left me in the middle (or I've become too critical of it) that I come back to after a month or so and finished off quite easily
          Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

cards by design

I am an impulse buyer,if i like/have the cash i buy then so far i have always found an idea for it. Still gots far too much stuff stashed but at least i shall never be at a loss to make something.

Comment

Originally posted by Munchbun12 View Post
              I am an impulse buyer,if i like/have the cash i buy then so far i have always found an idea for it. Still gots far too much stuff stashed but at least i shall never be at a loss to make something.

I would like to be like that, but on the limited budget, it's scary!! (see the £15 bill for stuff to make one valentine card!! ) I would end up with a craft shop of stock in the spare bedroom.. sigh..

Comment

I sort of do both!.

I am a bit addicted to buying crafty things when i see them in case they may come in useful, hence a workshop full of clutter!. Also, sometimes an idea will just hit me of something I want to make and I will then realise that i have none of the things i need to make it amongst all the clutter I already own, and will then go on the hunt!!!.
                by Nicki
                www.bynicki.co.uk

Home Decorations & Gifts with Country Style

Comment

I tend to look at whats available then combine bits to make the finished item.
                  I have a fair few ideas I cant make because I dont have the bits or cant get them...which is very annoying.
                  https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

I spend a lot of time in crafty places (like this forum!) on the internet, so when I have an idea of something I would like to make, it is usually based on something I have either already got or something I have seen.

Which is good, because when I get an idea I usually want to make it yesterday lol!

Comment

Hi

I do both too - but mainly I buy when I see something I like.

I buy paper then hate using it, my boyfriend & mum think im mad. Or if I do use it I feel a impluse to replace it with the same paper again.

Also I use the excuse that because I sell my cards I have to buy more than one of everything from paper, decoupage, toppers etc.....

Sara x
                      www.cardsforewe.co.uk

Comment

I do both. Sometimes I can just look at some beads and a design springs to mind immediately - then I look for the other beads that I need to complete the design.

Other times I see pretty beads and I want them so I get them and stash them away, occasionally taking them out for a stroke. I can keep them months and then I'll spot some more beads and think they would go nice together so I buy those as well.

Basically - I don't care how long it takes me to come up with a design . . . I just like buying beads.
                        Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

I'm another one guilty of buying things because I like them with no real idea what I will do with them. I will use them one day though!

I also get an idea of what I want to make and then I might buy certain parts and use others I already have to make the thing complete.

So both really!!!!
                          Diane
                          Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Luckily I make the majority of my cards with quilling in which case the idea comes first and I have stacks of paper to do pretty much any design with.

Anything that I don't quill I look at what other things I have and work from those rather than shop for them after an idea comes to mind.
                            View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Other times I see pretty beads and I want them so I get them and stash them away, occasionally taking them out for a stroke. I can keep them months and then I'll spot some more beads and think they would go nice together so I buy those as well.

Basically - I don't care how long it takes me to come up with a design . . . I just like buying beads. [/quote]

That sounds like me too- lol

Have soooo many bags and tubes and boxes of beads and they all live together like one big, happy family and I hate separating them and making things when they looks so happy and shiny sitting there, just brightening my day with their very existence (have to go and sit in a darkened room now and run my hand through my mega bucket of pony beads.....)

Do you think they run 10 step programmes for people like me?
                              Jane

If beads were still currency, I'd be a millionaire!

http://www.wildheartcrafts.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                              X