Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shock, horror - I just went into a card shop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock, horror - I just went into a card shop!

Purely for research though - I didn't buy anything! I've been making some Christmas gift tags and just wanted an idea of prices, around a £1.00 for 8-10 printed tags seems a bit steep to me and some of the prices of the cards - shocking. What I noticed is how many "handcrafted style" of cards there now are, it's obviously much more popular now & we must be getting them worried!
    "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
    Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

What I have noticed about these 'handcrafted' cards is that 99.9% of them are mass produced maching printed cards with a topper or ribbon that has been put on by hand to justify the 'handmade' part and they have the cheek to charge in excess of 4.00 per card
    My Blog
    Twitter
    Facebook

Comment

I used to supply a company that produced 'hand finished' cards with bows and gems. Basically they printed the cards and then sent boxes of them along with the embellishments to local ladies who they paid to stick the embellishments on to hand finish. The embellishments couldn't have cost them more than 5p a card (they got a discount for ordering large quantities) and I can't imagine the ladies were paid much more than 10p a card but the company can then sell the cards for twice the price of a 'normal' card for being hand finished
      Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Ther's been some in our local PO/Shop for three or four years now - they're just assembly jobs!
        ElaineJ soap and other stuff
        website
        blog

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
          I used to supply a company that produced 'hand finished' cards with bows and gems. Basically they printed the cards and then sent boxes of them along with the embellishments to local ladies who they paid to stick the embellishments on to hand finish. The embellishments couldn't have cost them more than 5p a card (they got a discount for ordering large quantities) and I can't imagine the ladies were paid much more than 10p a card but the company can then sell the cards for twice the price of a 'normal' card for being hand finished
          It's really annoying isn't it when we all know how much effort we put into proper handmade cards, etc.

Comment

I've also seen boxes of "hand-made" cards in Costco. All the boxes had either 50 or 100 cards in them, I think. The boxes all had identical cards. So if every one of their stores sell them, just how many identical "hand-made" cards do they have in stock.

It kind of makes you wonder who exactly it is that is making them for those big stores. Possibly a bunch of ten year olds sitting in a tin shed in a third world country sticking an embellishment on to each printed card?

Liz

Comment

Oh I saw some of those in M&S today - had a bit of a rant to my friend at the time
              www.corrigancards.com

A mind is like a parachute........it only functions when open

Comment

Working...
              X