First Ever Craft Fair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Ever Craft Fair

Hello - it's just gone six in the morning, I've been awake for hours and my head is full of, no, not American presidential elections, (although I do think Mr. Obama is rather handsome, lol) CARDS.

This weekend I have my first ever craft fair. It's in New Lanark on Saturday and Sunday. What was I doing booking a two day event for my first ever craft fair. Crazy or what???I think the nerves are setting in big time.

I don't have any expectations (maybe that's not such a bad thing), I don't have a clue about a lot of things and I reckon I am probably going to go and make a complete fool of myself.

I've read all the posts on here about preparation and what to take etc. and have taken note of loads of things. Nobody ever mentioned valium to calm the nerves, lol.

I counted my cards the other night. At that point I had about 300 in total. Will have a few more by the weekend. I keep thinking of more cards I should have, but just don't have the time so what I have will have to do.

So, tell me this - do they get less nerve-racking the more you do them? Or do you all still get nervous and panicky?

OK - away to sniff some lavender oil and drink some chamomile tea. (Was only joking about the valium, lol)

Liz

I remember I was exactly the same before my first fair. You will be fine, I promise...........just try and relax and enjoy the experience. It does get easier the more you do, but in my case, I still get nervous Good luck for the weekend and let us know how you get on.
    www.corrigancards.com

A mind is like a parachute........it only functions when open

Comment

It does get easier but you always get that anticipation of will it go okay, have I got everything. Remember that crafters are lovely people so if you have forgotten something I am sure someone will help if they can.

Re your stock if someone wants a card that you do not have, offer to make them one, take the money plus P & P or if you want to give a good first impression don't charge for the P & P.

I have an Open House on the 18th and I still panic that I won't have enough stock, normally end up with too much but with another craft fair on the Saturday 22nd have got to work like mad on Wed through Fri if I do well at my night.

Good Luck

Comment

I still get a bit nervous before a fair and i think i always !!
        I have a bag just for fairs with everything i may need in it ... pens, paper , tissue , headache tablets , snacks , water , clean top plus lots more bits and pieces I also do a trial set up of my table to see what it looks like

I hope you have a great time and do really well
        Good luck x
        allabouteden blog

fromthehandsofkittyeden

my folksy shop

Comment

It does get easier and you get a better idea of what sells once you have done a few, but you can never get it quite right and need to be prepared for different "demands" from the customers. You will be fine and in fact a two day one is quite a good start as you get time to fine tune your stall and the second day you know exactly where you are going and what everything is like. I always like going back where I have done a fair before, because you start with an advantage of not panicking about finding the venue, what will it be like etc etc.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
          Cynthia
          http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Good Luck and take plenty of cosy clothes. I'm quite near to you at the mo and it's a bit nippy, isn't it?

Cx

Comment

Originally posted by LizS View Post
              Hello - it's just gone six in the morning, I've been awake for hours and my head is full of, no, not American presidential elections, (although I do think Mr. Obama is rather handsome, lol) CARDS.

This weekend I have my first ever craft fair. It's in New Lanark on Saturday and Sunday. What was I doing booking a two day event for my first ever craft fair. Crazy or what???I think the nerves are setting in big time.

I don't have any expectations (maybe that's not such a bad thing), I don't have a clue about a lot of things and I reckon I am probably going to go and make a complete fool of myself.

I've read all the posts on here about preparation and what to take etc. and have taken note of loads of things. Nobody ever mentioned valium to calm the nerves, lol.

I counted my cards the other night. At that point I had about 300 in total. Will have a few more by the weekend. I keep thinking of more cards I should have, but just don't have the time so what I have will have to do.

So, tell me this - do they get less nerve-racking the more you do them? Or do you all still get nervous and panicky?

OK - away to sniff some lavender oil and drink some chamomile tea. (Was only joking about the valium, lol)

Liz
              Hi Liz! You will really enjoy it, honestly!!. I was like you at my first one, I took mounds of cards and people kept saying ' have you realy made all those?' he he. All you can do is wait for D day to arrive if you are so well organised. You can guarantee someone will ask you for something you haven't got! I always offer to make and post them. I did a fair last Sunday and a lady liked my baby cards so much that she asked me to do 6 Baby's first Christmas and post them to her. That's a really nice feeling!! Done 5, one to go!!!!!! Hope you have a wonderful time because you will meet some lovely people and have a great day! Sue xx
              http://susieQinblogland.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for all your replies - you're all quick off the mark today!

Headache tablets! Something else to add to the list. Thank you. And I will be well wrapped up - it is rather chilly just now. The fair is indoors, but who knows what the heating will be like.

Don't know why I'm sitting at the computer - far too much to be doing, lol.

Better go for now,

Liz

Comment

Hi Liz, you will be fine and I bet you will love it so much you will want to do loads more!

I don't get nervous anymore, but I do a craft fair every Saturday and have done for nearly two years so I've had lots of time to get used to it!

Doing a 2 day one is brilliant, because you will be much more relaxed on the 2nd day and will be able to fine tune your stand to how it suits you best.

Don't forget a flask for Coffee! I couldn't get through the day without it lol!

Good Luck and I hope it goes really well for you!
                  Pips
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pipsjewellery/

Comment

Hi Liz, there really isn't anything else that I can add to the list other than Good Luck and I'm sure you'll do great. I've got a post going in the General section called *** Craft Fairs *** where I put a list of everything I'd thought of and others have been really helpful in adding their ideas... I'm sure that everything will be fine and after your first day at the fair you'll wonder why you were so worried

http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18537

Good luck and remember to wrap up warm... it's easier to take layers off when you're too hot than it is to suffer the cold (being from East Kilbride I know just how cold it gets up there lol)

Comment

Hi Liz, I've got my first fair in a few weeks time, and I'm nervous already, so I can feel your pain

I'm sure you'll be fine though and have a great day - let us know how you get on & best of luck with it.
                      "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
                      Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
                      Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Comment

Good luck in your first craft fair. Like everyone else has said before me it does get easier but the butterflies never really go. Don't forget a good book for the quieter times of the day
                        Chris Coxon
                        www.announceitwithstyle.co.uk
                        http://announceitwithstyle.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you to everyone for your support.

The time has just flown by this week. I went to my bed last night and told my husband that was my last sleep before my fair. He said, "but this is only Thursday - your fair is on Saturday." Does he really think I'll be able to sleep tonight

Anyway, woke up this morning feeling more excited than nervous. Still feel like I've loads I want to do, but doesn't matter if I don't manage. Want to TRY to have a more relaxing day today.

I feel like a five year old waiting for Christmas!

Liz

Comment

Working...
                          X