Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some advice please....

Hello everyone,

I'm really sorry if am repeating a thread that has already been done but i can't find it anywhere!

I make jewellery but have just really got into card making and have got some fab stamps etc ready to do my christmas cards but i just don't know what to colour them in with...which type of pens are best for this?

Again, i'm sorry if this has already been covered, but i'm just itching to start making them and need to know so that i can go and buy some!!

Many thanks x x

There's loads of techniques for this. You can pat the stamp over the pad (using a different colour for different areas) and then stamp directly onto the page. Or (like me) you can stamp a basic image and use Whispers pens to colour. I like these because they're double sided (thick like a brush on one end, and thin on the other). Also, you can blend colours with these. You can also use watercolours - if you're careful. Either paints or watercolour pencils will work. Or colouring pencils, or crayons..........the list is endless

HTH
    www.corrigancards.com

A mind is like a parachute........it only functions when open

Comment

and use a waterproof ink pad like stazon for your basic design, so what ever you use to colour in with does not bleed.
      Janny

Comment

Originally posted by Janny View Post
        and use a waterproof ink pad like stazon for your basic design, so what ever you use to colour in with does not bleed.
        Agree with that completely...it's an absolute must!

I think everyone has their personal preference - me I like to use watercolour pencils with an aqua-brush to colour in my stamped images.
        Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I love Sakura glitter pens and cosmic shimmer paints and mica powders, which you can paint with also.

Heather
          www.craftyaddicts.co.uk
          for all your cardmaking and scrapbooking needs!!
          www.craftyaddict.wordpress.com
          craftyaddicts blog site
          www.heatherbees.blogspot.com
          My personal blog
          http://twitter.com/craftyaddicts

Comment

There's loads of techniques!
            Basic stamping, pat the pad onto your stamp (better this way round, then you get a more even coverage) then press this onto your paper.
            With this image you can then use glitter, felt tips, glitter/gel pens, watercolour pencils to fill it in if you want to do that.

Tombo, or marvy pens can be used to ink up the stamp with detail, you can buy fine misting spray bottles to keep the ink wet, then stamp the image.

Heat embossing-Once you have stamped your image, immediately tip embossing powder onto it, then shake off excess and heat with a heat gun.
            MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

Twinkling H2os

Hi,I think pens and pencils are a lot easier if you are just starting out. I have just started to use twinkling H2o's for filling in my stamped images and they come out really well but a lot more fiddly

Comment

how about metal magic?it is my brand new personal fave!!! pat your clear inkpad onto a piece of paper, sprinkle the metal magic powder over it, heat, leave to cool, repeat. While the now smooth metallic surface is till warm press your stamp into it and hold for half a min or so. This is called debossing and leaves you with an embellishment that looks as though it is made from metal. I did a workshop with debbi moore's designs at the recent craft4crafters in newark it was fab!!!
                Jacqui
                I craft, therefore I am!
                for hotfoiled cardmaking goodies
                www.fuchsiafairy.co.uk
                now Live get your supplies here

Comment

Originally posted by Fuchsia Fairy View Post
                  how about metal magic?it is my brand new personal fave!!! pat your clear inkpad onto a piece of paper, sprinkle the metal magic powder over it, heat, leave to cool, repeat. While the now smooth metallic surface is till warm press your stamp into it and hold for half a min or so. This is called debossing and leaves you with an embellishment that looks as though it is made from metal. I did a workshop with debbi moore's designs at the recent craft4crafters in newark it was fab!!!
                  Jacqui
                  You can get a very similar effect using normal embossing powder, if you google "triple embossing" you'll find some step-by-step instructions for it. My tip would be to use a different colour of powder on the first layer so that colour shows through where you stamp on it.
                  Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Thank you so much for all your advice!! Don't know what i would do without you all!

Well, i made my FIRST Christmas card yesterday - i just used ordinary felt tip pens to colour it in as i didn't have any 'special' pens and i was too impatient to wait!!

I was quite happy with it but think that i will definately invest in some proper pens to get a better finish.

I'm going to put a pic of it on the Crafts Projects thread - please take a look and let me know what you think?! Good or bad!!

Thanks again x x

Comment

Word of warning - if you're embossing!! Be careful if you've got the heat gun pluged in on the floor and heat the card because you're in a rush on the floor - I have a patch of melted carpet I'm still hoping my other half won't notice!!
                      Caroline

Diamond Ideas

http://www.diamondideas.co.uk/

http://twitter.com/DiamondIdeas01

Diamond Ideas is also on facebook!

Go on, add some sparkle to your project!

Comment

I heard a story the other day about someone who had a bad house fire cos they always left their heat gun plugged in...well it fell off the surface in the night and switched itself on...
                        You can guess what I did as soon as I got back?!?!?!
                        Just a word from the notsowise
                        I craft, therefore I am!
                        for hotfoiled cardmaking goodies
                        www.fuchsiafairy.co.uk
                        now Live get your supplies here

Comment

Working...
                        X