I have a confession to make...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a confession to make...

.... I may well have been making cards for a long time, been selling for months and months and have about 400 cards in stock BUT....

..I don't have a clue about cuttlebugs, sisix (or something like that!) or die cuts and all that jazz - how do they work, I don't get it?!?!?! I keep buying little toppers from people and thinking I really should make my own but I don't understand how they work and I know they're expensive machines etc to buy so need to make sure I'm making the right choice with them...

Thanks and sorry for being a thickie!!
    Caroline

Diamond Ideas

http://www.diamondideas.co.uk/

http://twitter.com/DiamondIdeas01

Diamond Ideas is also on facebook!

Go on, add some sparkle to your project!

Hi Caroline

As you are in Reading pop down to Hobbycraft on Forbury Retail Park, they have several of the die cutting machines there. I have a traditional red sizzix and have found that really useful. Do not use it as much as I perhaps should it was on offer when I bought it. It may be worth you trying the sizzix side kick it retaisl for about £19.99, the link below gives details:

http://www.cuttingedgecrafts.co.uk

although basic this would give you a taster without the expense of a bigger machine. Hobbycraft may also have this and without the P & P.

Comment

Hi,

You sound like you've been busy - 400 cards in stock. Well done!

I've not been making cards for too long. March, I think I started. Anyway, I was cutting a lot of things out (it's expensive buying loads of toppers) and I was getting really sore hands. I have the onset of osteo-arthritis in my hands, so soon discovered that cutting by hand wasn't for me. I didn't want to give up on the card making so I checked out cutting machines.

The die cutting machines can be expensive as you say, but you then have to buy a die for them. So, if you want to cut out letters you need alphabet dies, flowers need flower dies etc. So you're going to be pretty restricted to what you're going to cut out unless you decide to spend loads of money on various dies. I daresay, you might get deals where you get some dies with a machine, but then I'm sure you'd still want to add to your collection and buy more.

Now for the alternative - this is what I opted for. A Craft Robo cutting machine. There are no real restrictions to what you can cut out. You use your computer (they send a software package with the machine) to write or draw an image, use a template (you get some free with the machine and you can get others free on the internet, or you can buy them) or you could trace round a jpeg image of your own, then basically tell the machine to cut it out for you. The machine looks a bit like a printer, but instead of ink, it has a tiny blade. You can cut out words, numbers or make your own peel-offs and toppers, whatever you like. You can't cut card which is really thick, but I manage to cut most of the card I have. It's not that cheap, can't remember exactly how much, but I honestly think it is worth the money.

Hope this helps,
      Liz
      Last edited by LizS; 03-09-2008, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Ooo Craft Robo cutting machine - sounds serious!! Seriously, thanks for the info guys, that really helps - I was as you say confused by the whole buying a machine and dies thing. I guess people who sell the toppers make that investment and I'd like to move over to craft bits for other people rather than just making myself but need something easy and not too expensive now so don't want to buy loads of dies.

Thanks guys - you're fab!!!

P.S Caroline - sounds like I may well bump into you one of these days down at Hobbycraft! I was in there the night before last - only spent £5!! Was VERY proud of myself!!
        Caroline

Diamond Ideas

http://www.diamondideas.co.uk/

http://twitter.com/DiamondIdeas01

Diamond Ideas is also on facebook!

Go on, add some sparkle to your project!

Comment

I'm in a similar situation - I see all these words flying around and I think that a 'die' would help me with my current plan but I don't really understand...

I assume you roll paper though with a 'die' and it cuts it?

Is the die like a sharp cookie cutter?

Maybe a craft robo would do for me to but they are expensive...

I think yet another visit to Reading's Hobby Craft at lunchtime methinks...

Amykate

p.s. Hello BTW! Just registered here today, trying to work out what's what in the die-cutting world before I commit to something :-)

Comment

Originally posted by craftsensations View Post
            .... I may well have been making cards for a long time, been selling for months and months and have about 400 cards in stock BUT....

..I don't have a clue about cuttlebugs, sisix (or something like that!) or die cuts and all that jazz - how do they work, I don't get it?!?!?! I keep buying little toppers from people and thinking I really should make my own but I don't understand how they work and I know they're expensive machines etc to buy so need to make sure I'm making the right choice with them...

Thanks and sorry for being a thickie!!
            caroline
            Hi
            I like the layout of your website - looks very attractive, although I noticed you do not actually have a shopping cart.
            May I ask which website builder are you using? Just being nosy!
            Thanks

Comment

May make a fool of myself here, but many years ago I rebuilt a villiers engine, I couldnt buy the paper gaskets but I managed to get hold of some factory dies (big things) but with no machine to work them I just put the paper on a steel bench and whacked the die with a rubber hammer, worked fantastic, and not a computer in site

Comment

Working...
              X