Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting started selling cards

Hi,
    I'm very new to this and have a very basic question - what's the best way to go about making glossy greeting type cards from my own illustrations.? Do I need to go and get them done professionally or it it possible to get a reasonable priced printer (i.e. under £299)that can produce professional standard glossy cards?
    Also where would I get suitably heavy glossy card?
    many thanks in advance
    Brendan

Probably depends what is going to be most economical. If you are talking printing in bulk, you may be cheaper having them done professionally. Otherwise, do it yourself. We bought a new printer/copier/scanner earlier this year and I have to say it's the best we've had. HP Photosmart C5280. You can get a wireless version too. Not expensive and I'm sure a lot of places do very good deals with them. But the main thing is the quality is brilliant. I have printed photos onto good quality glossy photo card and the quality was superb. I have also printed some watercolour paintings of mine onto the same glossy card and onto embossed cardstock - both turned out really well. And, the ink is lasting better in this printer than in any we've had before.

The glossy photo card is expensive, but I don't even know if it would stand up as a card on its own. Probably would start to curl. You'd best check the craft places for the right type of card with a decent weight.

Hope this helps,
    Liz

Comment

Many thanks

Thanks Liz, very helpful - I'll certainly have a look at the
      C5280.
      Good luck with your own work!
      Brendan

Comment

Hi - I do a lot of photography and sell cards. Not all my cards are photographic ones, but I use an Epson printer - always have used Epson for photos - and I print on glossy photography paper. I make A6 cards, so print 4 images on an A4 sheet and then cut with a craft knife and stick to a card blank using double sided tape. Seems to work well. I use the glossy print even for some non photographic designs, ones done on my computer and they always look good.
        Cynthia
        http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Another idea is to purchase some sticky back, transparent paper and stick this over an image printed on cheaper paper. You do have to be ultra careful not to crease it though.

I have managed it on smaller cards
          http://koolcraftsandarts.blogspot.com
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/koolcrafts

Comment

Ive got a mini lexmark photo printer. I sometimes print my images/designs for cards on thick glossy photo paper and buy some separate thick card which will stand up and place the images which are the same size onto each side carefully. The results can be really good
            Maz

Comment

Working...
            X