Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made our first candles but need some HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made our first candles but need some HELP!

We have made a few votives and a couple of small pillars using the same scent and we followed the guidelines from the place where we bought them but they don't smell very strong when burning, what can we do to make them smell stronger when burning, we used 6.5% of scent.

Hope this doesn't sound too silly!!

Hi Amyc

What wax are you using paraffin or soy? I use soy myself as opposed to paraffin. However, I woud have thought that 6% for paraffin would be OK. Soy is somewhat fickle, I use a FO load of 8% but you can go up to 10% for soy. Then again it does depend on the quality of the fragrance oil.

Can I ask from whom did you get your oil?

Ruby x
    Ruby xx

Website - Cosy Candles & Aromas
    Blog - Ruby's Crafty Diary
    Facebook Page

Comment

Hello,
      I am using paraffin wax and the fragrances were bought from the "4Candles UK" US range of fragrance oils. The unlit candle has a good, strong scent but this isn't reflected once it has been lit!

Amy.

Comment

Hi Amyc

That could be the problem. From what I can gather their oils aren't very strong.

I would recommend you get your oils from Jo at Sensory Perfection

Her oils are top notch and you get fantastic service from her too.

Ruby
        Ruby xx

Facebook Page

Comment

Thanks for the help Ruby, I have had a look at Sensory Perfection and the range looks realy good. Do you have a preference for the UK or US oils?

Comment

Hi Amyc

If you're just doing candles then FOs from either section will be fine. Jo's UK oils are especially made for soapers. They've been passed on the EU allergens whereas her US oils or any oils imported from the US haven't been passed by the EU and therefore cannot be used for soaps or b&b products.

Either way you won't be disappointed

Ruby x
            Ruby xx

Facebook Page

Comment

Hi Amy,

Did you use any vybar? It helps the paraffin wax to hold more scent but if you use too much it will bind the scent?

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
              Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
              www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Hi Lisa, Thank you for your reply, no we didn't use any Vybar, we added stearin.

Comment

You can add vybar and stearin. Each manufacturer is differnet by try adding 1/2% and see how it goes.

Good luck

Lisa

Bowed Over
                  Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                  www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by candles by lisa View Post
                    You can add vybar and stearin. Each manufacturer is differnet by try adding 1/2% and see how it goes.

Good luck

Lisa

yes

you will have agood result after adding vybar and stearin

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by girlyracer View Post
                      Hi Amyc

What wax are you using paraffin or soy? I use soy myself as opposed to paraffin. However, I woud have thought that 6% for paraffin would be OK. Soy is somewhat fickle, I use a FO load of 8% but you can go up to 10% for soy. Then again it does depend on the quality of the fragrance oil.

Can I ask from whom did you get your oil?

Ruby x
                      Hi Ruby,
                      How are you doing today? OK I have my first question As i said before i have only recently starting using soy wax, my choice of wax is ecosoy pb from 4candles, I have done a few tests to date and some look ok but im not sure about my mp size which is obviously down to the wick i have chosen, At the moment i am testing with what i have, which is the LX series. My moulds are all 3" diameter. I have tested wax and wick, which i decided the wick was far to small, wax wick and colour which didn't give me a great mp size and i have also tried wax, wick, colour and scent. This candle has tested ok, i think, What i have being doing is going up a few wick sizes from what i was using with paraffin, is this correct? What kind of wick would you recommend for soy? I really like this wax, its nice to work with, great when it comes to cleaning up and i love the look of it. Reading your post i have learned that i need to use a little more FO for this wax, i used 1oz to 1 pound. Now i know that i can use a little more. I get my FO from Jo at sensory perfection and have never had any problem with scent throw in paraffin, her oils are great. I feel like i am all the way back to the beginning again, with a little no how from using paraffin but im starting to get frustrated, I hope you can help me out with this problem. I have not yet gone and bought more wick for soy i have just being trying what i have just know, Hope you can help me out before I go out and spend more money on wick, My other half will be so happy Hope to hear from you soon
                      Mandy

Sorry to babble on

Comment

Hi Mandy

Don't worry about babbling, all crafters have a tendency to babble on, I know I do .

OK. Let's see if I can give you some pointers.

Ecosoya PB will take a FO load of up to 12% BUT I wouldn't go that high. I've found that 8% for me works fine. I get a nice strong throw without it being overpowering. 6% ie 1oz to 1lb is the standard ratio and I think is the maximum for paraffin. I don't do paraffin, so I can't be too sure on that. Because the molecules in soy wax bind differently you will find that some fragrances just don't throw very well. They also need a longer curing time too.

Glad to see you're getting your oils from a good supplier. Jo's oils are really good quality and her service is great.

Likewise, when it comes to wicks, you will find that you will need to go up a couple of sizes in comparison with paraffin. I am assuming that you are dabbling with pillars. I've had a go myself but I tried 2" pillars - complete disaster . Now I too love LX wicks and I would think that for 3" pillars LX24 would make a good starting point. I'm afraid it's all trial and error though. Just make sure that you keep good notes whilst you're test burning your pillars. Just when you think you've got it right you end up getting a blow out.

Going from paraffin, to soy, to palm is like starting over again. Because each wax is different you have to start all from scratch. Please don't see this as a negative thing. Look at it as a new challenge, something to gain experience with but more importantly as fun.

Making candles is great fun but it's not as easy as it looks, especially if you are looking to eventually sell to the general public. I'm sure that others will agree that it takes many, many months of testing, remelting, testing again before you get it right. Plus, you never stop learning as there are new waxes to try, new fragrances, new shapes, new containers, the list is endless.

It really does turn into an addiction so tell your other half to wave his dosh goodbye .

Ruby x
                        Ruby xx

Facebook Page

Comment

Hi
                          I hope you don't mind me cutting in here, just read through this thread. I am relatively new to candle making. I did make some many years ago with a kit of paraffin wax and stearin and a couple of moulds, think I did okay, but never bothered much with it after that.

However now a friend and I are starting out with the prospect of doing a local craft fair at some point in time... not yet though. I know it will take some practise (don't have a lot of patience though! lol), but I am using eco soy wax and I do prefer this to the paraffin personally, for the eco reasons as much as for the ease of cleaning and the results it appears to give. We haven't done too much yet as we don't have too much money to throw at it just now and so don't want to waste money on things we don't need as much as others.
                          I was getting a little bamboozled with all the ins and outs of the wick sizes etc and became totally confused. I need some more pillar wax, my friend bought a huge bag of container wax by mistake. It will get used up, just probably not as much yet. I want to make more melts, but also candles. I am hoping to get some more votive moulds and just concentrate on those for now and try out various scents (food type mostly at the moment). I too have bought mine from Jo as a recommendation from a friend. We dont' have a lot yet, but a fair few to get us going. For a 15 hour votive, what size wick is recommended for soy? I know it's trial and error still and I did look on candles4U at the wax and wicks, but as I say... bamboozled!

I've also read you can melt soy wax in the microwave? Does anyone do this? Is it okay? I'm not sure I trust this, but if it's okay, I might give it a try. I currently use 2 pans, one inside the other. Another problem is that the wax never seemst to get to the temperature it recommends. My thermometer doesn't appear to go over about 80? I do put a small glass dish in the bottom pan to stand the smaller pan onto, even though it's still in the water, can this be a problem? Or will that not make a difference?

Sorry for all the questions and for cutting in.

Yvonne

Comment

Working...
                          X