Using aroma chemicals in candles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using aroma chemicals in candles

Hey! I'm a newbie candle maker, working on a few themed scents and I've come across the problem of how you get a metallic scent into your candles.
    So many places suggest rose and geranium but the florality puts me off, so I've settled on the chemical rose oxide.
    Although I couldn't find any oil form of this chemical, I have found it to be available in liquid form from an online supplier
    My questions are:
    -Has anyone here used pure aroma chemicals in their candles before/ how do you incorporate them?
    -Are there any better scents which might bring that metallic tang I want from my candles?

Many thanks

how do these aroma work in candles,
    when the burn the works ,
    oh i think like a lamp we use at homw which use liquid perfoume the burn and make aroma in room
    its amazing

Comment

how it will work in the candle.

Comment

Hi - I'm relatively new to candle making but love meddling with fragrances (I'm in the throes of endless testing of fragrance, wax and wick for last few months). I see so much disinformation on this subject - not to mention ill-placed consensus on 'synthetics', I felt I had to add a few things before answering OP. It's my first post so hello candle makers!

First, to clear up what aroma chemicals actually are for those not sure...all of your commercial candle 'fragrance oils' are made from aroma chemicals or molecules. ALL.

These are exact same molecules used in commercial perfumes (top end luxury fragrances right down to washing powder). The difference is, candle fragrance oils will use candle-friendly solvents to allow the fragrance to work in the wax. This is why some fragrance oils don't perform well in candles compared to soap or perfume and you get awful mushrooming and poor hot throw. Something to do with candles being non polar.

Some fragrance oils are made up of 'synthetic' molecules (ie not found in nature) and some contain aroma chemicals that are extracted or identical to those found in natural compounds e.g essential oils. All essential oils contain molecules/chemicals that can both be synthesised or extracted such as eugenol, citral, linalool etc. Some fragrance oils contain a mixture of synthetic, natural aroma chemicals and essential oils.

TIP: Check out your mSDS sheets and you'll see the breakdown of the aroma chemicals and compounds used in any fragrance oil formulation. If you're really clever, you can recreate a fragrance from scratch simply using these breakdowns. It's why some suppliers are still very unhappy about having to supply this info as it reveals much of their formula 'secrets'.

Perfumers tend to use individual aroma molecules because they're cheaper, way more stable batch to batch and more sustainable in many instances. Unlike with an essential oil, for instance, which may be endangered, subject to natural catastrophes, climactic and geopolitical quality and supply issues, tampering etc

Essential oils contain a bunch of different individual chemicals, many of which can be extreme sensitisers and therefore most definitely not 'healthy' for some folks, despite what the all natural pack will tell you.

*Climbs off soap box* Back to OP's question....

Yes, you can indeed use a myriad aroma chemicals in your candles - that's exactly what professional perfumers do. It requires some knowledge and much testing to perfect a good blend, however, as they can be incredibly strong and totally throw a formula off completely if not used carefully. Conversely, something which stinks in the bottle, can do wonders for your formula at minuscule amounts. Try diluting each aroma chemical at 10 or 20% initially. I'm still learning but I love to mix aroma chemicals alongside fragrance oils and essential oils to achieve unique, complex blends. It's a great to differentiate your offering from the dupe-led competition.

Like fragrance oils and essential oils, not all aroma chemicals behave in wax. Very volatile or, conversely, some very viscous oils, aren't great. Also those with too much polar solvent such as dpg (a highly polar solvent not agreeable to candles). I've found augeo clean multi seems to work if you need to thin down very thick oils.

You can try looking up an individual aroma chemical or search for a desired 'scent' or effect at The Good Scents Company, Perfumers World, Givaudan's fragrance Index and the IFF Catalogue to see how it's rated to perform in candles, then go ahead and google to find a local supplier.

Tip: some aroma chemicals are sold as their INCI label, some are given a trademarked name by each fragrance house supplying it. Try googling both for supplier info.

According to PW, Rose Oxide isn't great in candles (4 out of 10). In my experience you'd be better off adding something marine-like, 'ozonic' or watery to give a fresh, metallic nuance maybe to something like Geraniol? Or maybe add something slightly peppery or green to 'cool' your formula. I see 'Ozofleur' could be a good option for your needs. The link I gave for The Good Scents Company takes you to a search for metallic chemicals that may also work.

Most ACs come in liquid form and can be added in the same way to your blend as FOs and EOs. Some are crystals, which need to be melted first.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
        X