Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello !...and test burns

Hello !

I'm French (so, please, excuse my English) and very happy to have found this so interesting forum which I have read a lot.

And I would like to submit you this test burns, and that you tell me what you think about it, please.
    I bought all the supplies on 4candles.
    The wax : I mixed 80% of paraffin Chandler Grey 280P and 20% of palm sterain and poured at 72°C (161.6°F).
    The wick : LX16
    No dye, no scent.

The candle is 6,5 cms (2.6 in approximately) in diameter, the flame is beautiful, stable and does not smoke.
    But look at this kind of horizontal platforms...
    On the first half, it happened after 8 hours of combustion and on the second (which had remained vertical before) after 10 hours.

01_8 heures combustion.JPG02_10 heures combustion.JPG03_10 heures combustion.JPG

Have you any idea on what was able to cause this strange desire to spread out in the horizontal way ? (without dripping along the candle) ?
    Wick too big ?
    Too small ?
    Bad proportions of my wax mixture ?
    Or a ghost who is gradually going to invade all my house ?

Thank you in advance for your answers !

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I dont really know much about pillar candles so cant really offer much help. I do remember Spencer saying to use 90% unblended paraffin and 10% stearin. Hopefully Spencer will be along soon as he is the pillar expert and Im sure he can help you

Comment

Bonsoir Violet and welcome to the forum!

Can I start by saying, if my French was half as good as your English then I would be a VERY happy man! It's not, so I will not even try to reply in French through fear of offending you.

I would suggest that your stearin load is too high. This means the very outer edges of candle do not heat up enough to melt (as stearin raises the melting temperature) and in stead they fall outward when the melt pool gets a little deeper into the candle.

The other solution would be going up to an LX18 wick, but that may affect your nice steady flame in that size candle.

Try adding stearin at around 10% and see if that helps at all.

Spencer.
      Last edited by Spencer101; 12-11-2013, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harribo View Post
        Hi and welcome to the forum.

I dont really know much about pillar candles so cant really offer much help. I do remember Spencer saying to use 90% unblended paraffin and 10% stearin. Hopefully Spencer will be along soon as he is the pillar expert and Im sure he can help you
        And two minutes later, here I am

Well remembered Harribo. 90%/10% is a good starting point indeed and is what the 4Candles pillar blend is. I still tinker from there, depending on fragrance oil etc..

Comment

Thanks, thanks to both of you for your welcome and your accurate and fast replies !

I'll try with only 10% of stearin as soon as possible...

I'm very very happy.

Comment

Working...
          X